The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) worked to improve Seattle’s former Railroad Avenue ca. 1933-4. Railroad Avenue was later replaced by the Alaskan Way.
"Rainier School is a habilitation center for individuals with developmental disabilities located within the city limits of Buckley, Washington about a mile-and-a-half from downtown. The campus is situated in a peaceful country setting with a unique and prominent view of… read more
This 1938 Section of Fine Arts mural”Miners at Work” by Jacob Elshin was originally installed in the Renton post office. Elshin “actually visited underground mines and sketched miners at work for his mural in Renton, Washington, that depicted this historic… read more
Washington State University’s old Rogers Field, in Pullman, Washington was reconstructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds in 1936. The stadium was “severely damaged by a fire in April 1970. Demolished in early 1971, Rogers Field… read more
The Western Construction News reports of REA work in rural Washington state. “The REA has alloted $45,000 to the Benton Rural Electrification Association, Benton City Washington, for construction of 43 miles of transmission lines in Benton County Washington.” “The Benton… read more
“With support from the local communities and the state, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a museum at the park in 1938. The Sacajawea Museum was built to display Native American artifacts from the tribes of the Columbia Plateau. The… read more
The federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds provided funding for the construction of the Art Deco-accented bridge carrying SW Admiral Way above Schmitz Park. Construction occurred between 1936 and 1937. The PWA provided a grant of $68,200; the total cost… read more
This 1938 Section of Fine Arts oil-on-canvas mural “Local Pursuits” by Ambrose Patterson was painted for the then Mount Vernon post office. The building (and mural) are now part of Skagit Valley College’s Business Resource Center. “Born in Australia, Patterson… read more
“In 1937 WPA funds were granted to Snohomish County Airport. $225,000 was granted by the War Department who oversaw all airport construction and renovation between 1933 and 1938.”
“In Snohomish County, farm land conditions will be improved by a drainage system affecting seven sections of land between the cities of Snohomish and Monroe. Cooperating with the State of Washington, sponsoring the project, WPA will invest $14,989, according to… read more
A WPA press release from Dec. 1937 reported that “the Retsil Soldier’s Home receive[d] $6,040″ in WPA funds for grounds and landscaping improvement work.” Multiple similar projects were undertaken at the site. The facility is now known as the Washington… read more
In 1939 and 1940, WPA workers made several improvements to the South Seattle Playground, beginning with the demolition of the four-story former South Seattle School building, which had closed in 1932 but remained on the site. Much of the brick… read more
Previously known as Sunset Field, the property was renamed Geiger Field in 1941 and eventually became the Spokane International Airport. After the city leased the area to the military in 1939, the WPA and the army jointly cleared and leveled… read more
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) worked to improve Seattle’s former Spokane Street Bridge ca. 1933-4. The bridge has since been replaced.