The historic former U.S. Border Inspection Station in Highgate Springs, Vermont was constructed in 1940 with U.S. Treasury Department funds. It has since been demolished.
Kettle Pond Campground is a developed campsite within the 26,000 acre Groton State Forest “located on the shores of Kettle Pond, an undeveloped pond.” (www.vtstateparks.com) A Vermont State Park document on CCC sites in Groton State Forest lists: “Six remote… read more
Photo caption, UVM: “May 8, 1936. Lake Street, WPA Project No. 65-12-336 looking South from intersection of Depot Street. This project consists of widening pavement to twenty four feet with Telford stone base construction, surfacing with a leveling course of… read more
The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) conducted improvement work on many of Montpelier’s steel bridges, including painting the Langdon Street bridge in 1935.
The second of the (now) three bridges to be designated Ledyard Bridge spanning the Connecticut River between Norwich, Vermont and Hanover, New Hampshire was financed in part by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA) during the Great Depression. The PWA… read more
“Road construction crew repaves a city street as part of the P. W. A. Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works street improvements. Project No. VT 1097-F.” One source suggests that some of this work occurred at Lafountain St. and Manhattan… read more
Montpelier’s 40th Annual Report details many roadwork projects undertaken in 1934 with Vermont Emergency Relief Administration (VERA) funds, including: “Marvin Street, grading and putting in stone base”. Street improvement and sewer construction efforts were continued here in subsequent years by… read more
In 1935 “considerable work was done with [Vermont Emergency Relief Administration] V.E.R.A. labor in cutting brush and cleaning up around the pond [reservoir].” The Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted work at Montpelier’s Community House in 1936. The WPA and CCC… read more
The federal Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $214,363 grant for the construction of the original Missiquoi Bay Bridge connecting Alburgh and Swanton, Vermont. Approval for the project was given in January 1936. Construction began in June 1936 and was… read more
The Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) reconstructed and widened Burlington’s North Avenue, with the W.P.A. installing sewers as well. Widening was undertaken with P.W.A. funds in 1934, P.W.A Project No. VT 2232. Widening under the W.P.A. was… read more
Photo caption, August 15, 1939: “PWA Project Vt. 1097-F, Intersection of Intervale Avenue, Elmwood Avenue and North Street. This view shows the broad intersection of the three above streets after the completion of the Plant-Mix asphalt pavement consisting of a… read more
Montpelier’s 40th Annual Report details many roadwork projects undertaken in 1934 with Vermont Emergency Relief Administration (VERA) funds, including: “North Street to City Line, grading and graveling”. Sewer work was undertaken by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1935: “402… read more
Photo caption, UVM: “February 23, 1940. WPA Project No. 665-12-1-38, Street Improvements – Pine Street This view shows the excavation practically completed on Pine Street between Flynn Ave and Ferguson Ave ready for the sand cushion and telfold base. Some… read more
The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) conducted improvement work on many of Montpelier’s steel bridges, including painting the former Pioneer Street bridge in 1935. (The truss structure has since been cut up and placed into storage, and has since been replaced.)