North Hi Mount Elementary School was constructed in 1934-35 with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA). It was designed by local architect Wyatt C. Hedrick in a Spanish/Mediterranean Revival style. The picturesque building is complimented by a beautiful stone… read more
The historic Northgate Station post office was constructed from 1936-7 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which housed an example of New Deal artwork, is still in service.
The historic Northgate Station post office housed an example of New Deal artwork: “Good Technique – Good Harvest,” an oil-on-canvas mural by Victor Arnautoff. The work, which was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts, was completed and installed… read more
The Oakland-Merlin Overpass is a 1,759 foot long overpass that currently carries Malcom X Blvd (formerly Oakland Ave.) over the Dallas Area Rapid Transit Railyard near downtown Dallas, Texas. The Texas Highway Department and the United States Bureau of Public… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a a 2,517-foot-long rock wall on three sides on the perimeter of the Oakwood Cemetery in Cisco, Texas. According to the Texas Historical Commission, “The general landscape of the cemetery is traditional with granite, limestone, marble,… read more
Construction through the Works Progress Administration (WPA) began in 1935 with 18″ stone quarried from a nearby ranch and was completed in 1937. This building housed the Volunteer Fire Department downstairs and City Hall upstair until the 1970’s. Walls are… read more
Excerpt from a 2014 National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form: “Originally designated as a pauper’s burial ground in 1839, little documentation of the historic layout of the Potter’s Field Cemetery exists prior to 1935. A 1935 map illustrates a grid… read more
A new $17,800 school building at Olfen, Runnels county, was dedicated 3/26/39. The modern six- room structure was completed March 22. Attending the dedication was E. C. Grindstaff, county school superintendent; John C. Becker, architect who designed the building; the… read more
Buff Brick building with tower above the entrance with the name “Oliver School”. Decorative cement work around the entrance. The plaque at entrance says: “FEDERAL EMERGENCY ADMINISTRATION OF PUBLIC WORKS FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES HAROLD L…. read more
The [then-]North Texas State College‘s Orchestra Hall was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The building (also known as Music Hall), which was located at Chestnut St. and Ave. C, has since been demolished and replaced. The P.W.A…. read more
Located behind the Dance-Gymnastics Laboratory Building, the outdoor swimming pool (and accompanying brick entrance building) was constructed between 1928 and 1940 by the W.P.A. The W.P.A. contributed $25,000 toward the project. While the building is still extant, the pool itself… read more
The Works Progress Administration supported Paleontologist Roland T. Bird in the excavation of Sauropod footprints near West Verde Creek in southern Bandera County, Texas. The workers cleaned out the tracks and removed debris from the excavation area. The project number… read more
A 3-story Moderne building with Renaissance Revival elements. Constructed between 1940-42 by the Work Projects Administration and designed by architect Preston M. Geren, Sr., of Fort Worth, Texas By 1931, Palo Pinto County offices were overcrowded. In 1939, the county… read more
Harodl Bugbee completed two murals for the museum. “The Cattlemen” was completed with funds from the PWAP in 1934. “Ranch Headquarters” was completed in 1940 with support from the WPA Federal Art Project.
Ben Carlton Mead completed two New Deal murals for the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum. One, “Coronado’s Coming” was painted in 1934 with funding from the PWAP. Another, “Antelope Creek Focus” was painted in 1940 with funding from the WPA Federal Art… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Paris Junior College Gymnasium in Paris TX. An article about the PJC Stadium being built by the WPA the article states that: “The same administrative force that constructed the main building and is… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Paris Junior College Main Building in Paris TX. An article about the PJC Stadium being built by the WPA the article states that: “The same administrative force that constructed the main building and is… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Paris Junior College Stadium in Paris TX. A 1941 article published in the Paris News provides details about the new project: “Construction of Noyes Stadium, a $100.000 athletic’ plant for Paris Junior College, begins Monday… read more
Several projects at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (now Texas A&M University) were undertaken with New Deal assistance. “An extensive paving program was also started with New Deal funds of $10,500.” Begun in 1934, this most likely involved… read more
The Works Progress Administration built the Penelope Rural High School, School Dist. 8. The one-story brick building bearing white cement decorations at the top was completed in 1940. It houses eight classrooms, a gym-auditorium, offices, storerooms, and a locker room.
Before the State of Texas built its first numbered Farm to Market Road in 1941, the 8.8 miles of Farm to Market Road 623 between Pettus and Mineral was logically referred to as the Pettus-Mineral Road. In 1939, the Works… read more