1 2
  • Al Hayne Monument Restoration - Fort Worth TX
    The monument itself dates from 1893 but the original marble bust was replaced in 1934 by a bronze one sculpted by Evaline Sellors as a PWAP project. The curbing (reflecting pool) around the Al Hayne Monument is a CWA project: "The marble bust of Al Hayne, carved by Lloyd Bowman, was removed due to extreme deterioration, according to a Fort Worth Star-Telegram article from June, 1934. (Note: this is at odds with a Fort Worth oral tradition which holds that the Hayne bust was stolen). Fort Worth sculptor Evaline Sellors received a commission from the federally-funded Public Works of Art Project to sculpt...
  • Alice Carlson School Addition - Fort Worth TX
    "Alice E. Carlson Elementary was named in honor of the first woman who served on the school board. It originally opened as a 4-room school in 1926. The 1-story polychrome brown brick building was designed by Wiley G. Clarkson and constructed by A. J. Howard in a Mission Revival-influenced style. The rapid growth of the surrounding TCU neighborhood called for the enlargement of the school in 1935 under the PWA program. This addition, designed by Joseph R. Pelich and erected by Harry B. Friedman, tripled the size of the school and included an auditorium wing. The front entrance was altered slightly...
  • Amon Carter-Riverside High School - Fort Worth TX
    This was one of five monumental senior high schools built in Fort Worth with the aid of New Deal programs. It was designed by Fort Worth architect Wyatt C. Hedrick in an eclectic Spanish Baroque style and features yellow brick and a clay tile roof. Funding for the building came through the Public Works Administration (PWA). The grounds of the school were landscaped by Hare & Hare of Kansas City, Missouri, with the work implemented by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The heavily-treed campus includes a band shelter with stage that was built by the WPA.  The school has been...
  • Arlington Heights Senior High School - Fort Worth TX
    Arlington Heights Senior High School was one of five monumental high schools built in Fort Worth, Texas through the Public Works Administration (PWA). It was designed by local architect Preston M. Geren and built by Butcher and Sweeney in 1936-37 in the Georgian Revival style. The three-story central block is flanked by one-story arcaded wings. The landscape improvements were designed by Hare & Hare of Kansas City, MO and implemented by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The large campus was given a park-like treatment with a formal reflecting pool in front of the school and a long vista extending south from the rear. Also...
  • Butler Place Public Housing Complex - Fort Worth TX
    Butler Place Public Housing Complex in Fort Worth was built with PWA U.S. Housing Authority funds in 1939-40 . It is still in use and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011. It was one of two PWA New Deal housing projects in Fort Worth. Ripley Arnold was for whites and Butler Place was for blacks. Ripley Arnold has been demolished. The National Register nomination describes the design and significance of the project: "The Butler Place Public Housing Project was one of fifty‐two Public Works Administration low‐income housing projects built in the United States. The complex is significant...
  • Charles E. Nash Elementary School Landscapeing - Fort Worth TX
    Charles E. Nash Elementary School was originally constructed in 1927 and received a small addition in 1936. It's likely that the addition was completed as the result of New Deal funding, but that has not been verified. It has been verified that the grounds were landscaped through the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Among the improvements were these terraces and stairs on the north side of the grounds constructed circa 1936. The improvements were designed by Hare & Hare of Kansas City, Mo.
  • City Hall (Former) - Fort Worth TX
    The old Fort Worth City Hall (now used as the Public Safety and Courts Building) was constructed by the PWA in 1938: "Fort Worth, like many other communities, utilized federal relief funds to upgrade its civic infrastructure during the Depression. In the case of the 1938 City Hall, the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided approximately forty-five per cent of the $500,000 construction cost, and the balance was funded by a city bond issue...The 1893 Victorian city hall was demolished so that the site could be used for this building, and construction began in December 1937... The Classical or "PWA" Moderne building is...
  • Elmwood Sanatorium - Fort Worth TX
    Elmwood was a tuberculosis sanatorium located at 2805 Kimbo, Fort Worth. The building has been demolished. The sanatorium was a joint project of the City of Fort Worth and Tarrant County with partial funding coming through the PWA. It was designed by Preston Geren and constructed by Quisle and Andrews at a total cost of $101,733 without equipment. It opened in 1937.
  • Farrington Field - Fort Worth TX
    Farrington Field is a large multi-use stadium in Fort Worth, Texas. It was constructed in 1938-1939 by the WPA and designed by Arthur George King and Everett L. Frazier from the architecture firm of Preston M. Geren. Evaline Sellors did the bas relief sculptures of the football player and the track and field athlete.
  • Fire Station No. 14 (Former) - Fort Worth TX
    Fire Station No. 14 of Fort Worth, Texas was constructed in 1938-39 under the PWA. The architect was Preston M. Geren and the Sr. Contractor was Quisle and Andrews. The building now serves as a YWCA Child Care-Community Center.
  • Fort Worth Botanic Garden - Fort Worth TX
    The Fort Worth Botanic Garden had its origins in 1912 when the park board purchased a tract of land southwest of Trinity Park and named it Rock Springs Park. In his 1909 park master plan for Fort Worth, landscape architect George E. Kessler recommended that the city acquire the parcel because of its natural flowing springs and dense stand of native trees. The park remained largely unimproved until 1929 when work began on the creation of a lagoon and an arboretum under the direction of landscape architect S. Herbert Hare and Raymond C. Morrison, the city’s forester. In 1930 Hare and...
  • Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge - Fort Worth TX
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) is primarily responsible for building the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge (FWNC&R) which is located just inside the city limits of Fort Worth, TX. CCC Company 1816, Lake Worth Camp SP-31-T served in this area from 1934-1938. It's projects planned and supervised by the National Park Service included roads, bridges, bridle paths, nature trails, picnic areas and stone shelter houses.
  • Fort Worth Zoo Improvements - Fort Worth TX
    The Works Progress Administratio built several cages and exhibits at the Fort Worth city zoo.
  • I. M. Terrell High School - Fort Worth TX
    Before the PWA addition, the (much smaller) building was an elementary school, first built in 1909-1910 as the A.J. Chambers School (for white students), then it became the East Eighteenth Street Colored School in 1931. The school was enlarged in 1936-37 as a PWA project, converting it to the I.M. Terrell High School. "Under the PWA building program, the building was significantly expanded in 1936-37 and became the new home of I. M. Terrell High School. The architect was Clyde H. Woodruff and the contractor was Harry B. Friedman. In 1955-56, fourteen classrooms, a gymnasium, and a cafeteria were added to...
  • J. P. Elder Middle School Annex Improvements - Fort Worth TX
    J. P. Elder Middle School Annex (originally part of the North Fort Worth High School), was one of the school district's existing schools that received landscaping by the CWA/WPA during the New Deal. At this school, a lengthy sandstone retaining wall and a terrace were constructed by the CWA in 1935. The terrace included a fountain that had three cast stone lion heads. The landscape features were designed by Hare and Hare and constructed under the supervision of the city's park department.
  • James E. Guinn School (Business Assitance Center) - Fort Worth TX
    The PWA constructed one building of the former James E. Guinn School in 1936-37. That building is now occupied by the Business Assistance Center. "The James E. Guinn School had its origins as the Southside Colored School, organized in 1894. Construction of a 3-story brick building began in 1917. The prominent architectural firm of Sanguinet and Staats designed this building. It was demolished in 1986. A second permanent building was constructed in 1927 and was designed by Wiley G. Clarkson. By 1930, the Guinn School was the largest black school in the city for students in kindergarten through eighth grade. An...
  • John Peter Smith Hospital - Fort Worth TX
    Originally the City-County Hospital, this facility was constructed in Fort Worth, Texas in 1938-1939 in a design that reflected both Classical Moderne and Streamlined Moderne styles. Fort Worth architect Wiley G. Clarkson designed the building and the general contractor was Gurley Construction Company. It had a 185-bed capacity, with an isolation section for communicable diseases with 20 additional beds. It also had three air-conditioned operating rooms, a laundry, pharmacy, and X-ray room. Built during the era of segregation, it had separate entrances for whites and blacks on the front of the building. The cost of the PWA-funded facility was $475,000 (Project...
  • Lake Worth Improvements - Fort Worth TX
    In addition to Mosque Point, the CCC completed many other projects at Lake Worth. The pictured National Park Service document lists the many projects built by the CCC from 1934-1937, including: foot and auto bridges, several shelters, picnic and campground facilities, roads, foot trails, landscaping, tree planting, drinking fountains, toilets, water lines, fire protection amenities and more.
  • Lake Worth, Mosque Point Shelter - Fort Worth TX
    Lake Worth's Mosque Point shelter was designed by Hare and Hare of Kansas City, MO and built by CCC Co. 1816. The plan shown here was developed by Hare & Hare in 1930. That was the year that H&H completed a park master plan for the Board of Park Commissioners. The shelter was actually built in 1934. It was rehabbed following a fire to its present form in 1988. Originally it was a gable roof but was changed to a hipped roof covered with metal instead of the usual wood shingles. The CCC also completed many other projects at Lake Worth. The pictured...
  • Lily B. Clayton School Addition - Fort Worth TX
    "This structure is one unit of a large rehabilitation and building program begun by the Fort Worth Independent School District in 1934. The addition provides six classrooms, a library, a kindergarten, a cafeteria, and an auditorium seating 400. The construction is reinforced concrete with wood roof framing. Exterior walls are faced with buff brick and trimmed with artificial stone of a similar color. With the addition, the school will accommodate 480 pupils. It was completed in February 1938 at a construction cost of $110,313 and a project cost of $115,644."   (Short and Stanley-Brown) The school grounds were landscaped by the WPA.  
  • Lincoln Park - Fort Worth TX
    In 1941, the WPA constructed a wall along Marine Creek in Lincoln Park as a part of a joint WPA project improving this and nearby Marine Park. Lincoln Park was one of the city parks reserved for African Americans in the early 20th century.
  • Main Post Office (former) Murals - Fort Worth TX
    This grand post office takes up almost an entire city block. It was constructed in 1931 under the Treasury Department's supervising architect James A. Wetmore, prior to the advent of the New Deal. The post office contains six New Deal murals funded by the PWAP in 1934. The artists are W. H. Baker and Dwight Holmes. There are three paintings on each of the east and west walls of the office. The middle panels are approximately 4 feet by 9 feet. The outer panels are approximately 3 feet 6 inches by 4 feet. It is not clear which paintings were...
  • McLean Junior High School - Fort Worth TX
    This building was originally known as W. P. McLean Junior High when it opened in 1936. It was designed by Fort Worth architect Wiley G. Clarkson and built by James T. Taylor with financing through the Public Works Administration (PWA). The one- and two-story Mediterranean Revival design included Art Deco motifs. Fort Worth's tremendous growth in the post-World War II years resulted in the school beginning transformed to R. L. Paschal Senior High School  in 1955. The 1930s school has been greatly obscured by successive additions to the high school.
  • Mendoza Elementary School Improvements - Fort Worth TX
    In 1934, the Public Works Administration (PWA) approved a loan of $4.2 million for a school building program in Fort Worth. Rufino Mendoza Elementary School (then called Denver Avenue Elementary School), built in 1910, received a new auditorium wing between 1935 and 1936. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) under the direction of Hare and Hare of Kansas City landscaped the school grounds from 1935 to 1937.
  • Morningside Elementary School - Fort Worth TX
    Morningside Elementary School was constructed during Fort Worth's $4.5 million school building program that was supported with PWA funds. The school was constructed in 1935-36 and has received later additions. It was designed by Earl T. Glasgow and constructed by J. M. Gurley. It is still used as an elementary school. The building program included extensive landscaping that was designed by Hare and Hare and constructed under the supervision of the Fort Worth Park Department. Morningside retains its WPA-built terrace and a drinking fountain that likely dates from the same era.
  • Niles City Canning Plant (demolished) - Fort Worth TX
    The Niles City Canning Plant was converted from an abandoned syrup factory in 1938, with construction continuing into 1939, by the city of Fort Worth and the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The building itself was constructed in 1911 and was originally the City Hall for Niles City, a small town that developed around the Fort Worth Stock Yards Company. In 1922, Niles City was annexed by Fort Worth, which was attempting to gain tax revenue. The building was vacant for several years and then it was used as a syrup factory for four to five years afterward. Work to convert the...
  • North Hi Mount Elementary School - Fort Worth TX
    North Hi Mount Elementary School was constructed in 1934-35 with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA). It was designed by local architect Wyatt C. Hedrick in a Spanish/Mediterranean Revival style. The picturesque building is complimented by a beautiful stone terrace and stairs designed by Hare & Hare and constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The three-dimensional quality of the stone work greatly enhances the walls of the terrace. The building has received sensitive additions over the years and is designated as a City of Fort Worth Historic and Cultural Landmark. It is among a handful of historic school buildings that...
  • North Side Senior High School - Fort Worth TX
    "North Side Senior High School is another excellent example of the monumental high schools constructed in Fort Worth prior to World War II. Its location atop a bluff adds to its impressive presence on Fort Worth’s North Side. With the exception of Farrington Field and the Jennings Avenue Junior High School Gymnasium (demolished), it is the only Public Works Administration (PWA) school facility designed in the Classical Moderne style. Wiley G. Clarkson, better known for his Period Revival schools, designed the structure. Harry B. Friedman was the general contractor. The 3-story building features a stepped facade with fluted pilasters and...
  • Oakhurst Scenic Drive - Fort Worth TX
    In 1930, the landscape architecture firm Hare and Hare of Kansas City, Missouri completed a master plan for the Fort Worth Board of Park Commissioners. A key component of the plan was the linkage of the city’s major parks with greenbelts or parkways that encircled the city. With the advent of the New Deal, the park department was able to implement many of Hare and Hare’s plans for individual parks. It was less successful in completing the greenbelt component of the plan but the construction of Oakhurst Scenic Drive was a direct outgrowth of the park master plan. The park...
  • Oakland Lake Park - Fort Worth TX
    The WPA constructed a large stone terrace as well as undertaking numerous other improvements at Oakland Lake Park in 1937-38. The Fort Worth Park Department's 1937-38 Annual Report elaborates: "A WPA project is working in this park at the present time. This project is for the complete development of this area, and includes the construction of a stone terrace overlook above the lake; concrete steps and walks leading down to the lake; extension of water lines; establishment of new tennis courts complete; opening new picnic areas; construction of standard baseball diamonds; erection of a floating, casting dock in the lake adjacent...
  • Oaklawn Elementary School - Fort Worth TX
    In 1934, the Public Works Administration approved a loan of $4.2 million for a school building program in Fort Worth. Oaklawn Elementary School was one of the schools constructed from 1935 to 1936 through funding provided by the PWA. Architect Joseph R. Pelich selected a Spanish Eclectic style for the design. The contractor for the structure was James T. Taylor. The Works Progress Administration under the direction of Hare and Hare of Kansas City landscaped the school grounds from 1935 to 1937.
  • Polytechnic High School - Fort Worth TX
    Polytechnic High School was built in 1936-37 by the PWA. The architect was Joseph R. Pelich and the cost was $483,000. The WPA landscaped the original 18.5 acre campus. The school's mascot is the Fighting Parrots--there's a parrot on the weathervane!
  • Post Office Mural (relocated) - Arlington TX
    The mural entitled "Gathering Pecans," painted by Otis Dozier in 1941, is an example of New Deal artwork. It was created for the historic former post office in Arlington, Texas, which is now privately owned. Dozier was a painter, printmaker and teacher who was a charter member of the Dallas Artists League. "By the mid-1930s he had tightened up his brushwork and muted his palette to the earthy grays, beiges, greens, and browns favored by regionalist artists. Several of his major works from this era focused on the plight of farmers dispossessed by the Great Depression."   (https://www.tshaonline.org)
  • Public Library (demolished) - Fort Worth TX
    Fort Worth's first library opened in 1901 thanks to a $50,000 donation from wealthy philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. By the late 1920's the need for additional space became critical, but a bond issue for a larger library failed. When funds became available through the Public Works Administration in 1933, library supporters pushed to secure money for a new building. After years of wrangling with the city council and the PWA, the Carnegie Library was demolished, and the new library project was completed in June 1939 at a construction cost of $370,688 and a project cost of $390,861. A new central library opened...
  • Rockwood Park Golf Course - Fort Worth TX
    This municipal golf course opened in 1938. The first nine holes were constructed by the CWA. Additional work was completed by the WPA.
  • Rosemont Middle School - Forth Worth TX
    In 1934, the Public Works Administration approved a loan of $4.2 million for a school building program in Fort Worth. Rosemont Middle School (Originally Rosemont Junior High School) was one of the schools built with the PWA funds. The E. G. Withers Architectural Company designed the mostly two-story Mediterranean-Romanesque style structure. Thomas S. Byrne Construction Company constructed the building between 1935 and 1936. The Works Progress Administration under the direction of Hare and Hare of Kansas City landscaped the school grounds.
  • Route 183 Grade Separations - Fort Worth TX
    LOC: "Fort Worth & Denver City Railroad Underpass, Spanning State Highway 183 at Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad, Fort Worth, Tarrant County, TX: An example of Fort Worth's exceptional network of grade separation structures, the underpass as a good example of a cooperative effort by the Texas Highway Department and the U.S. Bureau of Public Roads to eliminate dangerous grade crossings in Texas during the Great Depression." The bridges at: 32.79525, -97.33843 and 32.795109, -97.338925 bear plaques.
  • South Hi Mount Elementary School - Fort Worth TX
    "This Arlington Heights area school is an eclectic blend of Colonial Revival and Moderne influences. It was financed by the PWA, designed by Hubert H. Crane and erected by Quisle and Andrews. The central wing of the 2-story building is divided by cast stone columns and flanked by pedimented porticos whose severe styling reflects a Moderne influence. Like the nearby Arlington Heights Senior High School, this building is also crowned with a lantern. In 1940, the school was featured in the publication, Texas Architecture, edited by Henry Whitworth. Four classrooms and a cafeteria were added during the 1948 Building Program...
  • South Main Street Overpass - Fort Worth TX
    The South Main Street Overpass is a bridge with an overall length of 1,335 feet including approaches that currently carries South Main Street over multiple BNSF Railway tracks near downtown Fort Worth, Texas. The Texas Highway Department oversaw the construction of the bridge under a special United States Bureau of Public Roads grade crossing program. The overpass originally separated the grade of South Main Street from the tracks of the Texas & New Orleans Railroad and the Gulf Colorado & Sante Fe Railway. Contractor Purvis & Bertram built the bridge from 1936 to 1937 for $257,000 using federal aid funds.
  • Sycamore Park - Fort Worth TX
    Sycamore Park received extensive improvements with assistance from the WPA and the NYA. Pictured here is a WPA shelter and drinking fountain built in 1935-36. The structures were designed by Hare & Hare of Kanas City, Missouri. The Fort Worth Park Department's 1937-38 Annual Report details later New Deal improvements to the park: "Through an agreement with the Board of Education, an area in the southeast section of this park was set aside for an amphitheater which is now under construction by the WPA. This will not only be an addition to the park facilities but will be an additional feature to...
1 2