A former set of “Spanish-style cottages,” known as El Pueblo, was created for married students at what was then West Texas [State] Teachers College. The project, built in 1936, was enabled by Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds: a $27,400 loan… read more
Harodl Bugbee completed two murals for the museum. “The Cattlemen” was completed with funds from the PWAP in 1934. “Ranch Headquarters” was completed in 1940 with support from the WPA Federal Art Project.
Ben Carlton Mead completed two New Deal murals for the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum. One, “Coronado’s Coming” was painted in 1934 with funding from the PWAP. Another, “Antelope Creek Focus” was painted in 1940 with funding from the WPA Federal Art… read more
The Canyon, Texas post office mural “Strays,” painted by Francis Ankrom, was sponsored by the Section of Fine Arts. The mural, which was completed and installed in 1938, went through multiple iterations of subject matter proposals and sketches before “Strays”… read more
Then known as West Texas State Teachers College, the campus of what is now West Texas A&M University (WTAMU) was greatly impacted by the New Deal. Notably, multiple sizable construction projects were accomplished with the aid of Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds…. read more