1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 26
  • 18th Street Viaduct - Waco TX
    This was a combination City/State/Federal (Civil Works Administration) project. Clearing the right-of-way for the viaduct began in Nov. 1933. In Feb. 1934, the federal government allotted $186,000. The cost of the project was $243,000. The width of paving was reduced to 20 ft from 40 ft to cut cost. The viaduct is over the Missouri-Kansas-Texas railroad, St. Louis-Southwestern railroad, and Waco creek on Hwy 2 and 44. The 18th Street approach to the bridge had a storm sewer built using CWA labor. The city bought the right-of-way, the cost of viaduct was paid by state and federal funds. Pouring of the concrete deck was...
  • 1940 Air Terminal Museum - Houston TX
    Federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds enabled the construction of the old terminal at what was then known as Houston Municipal Airport. The Art Deco building at William P. Hobby Airport now serves as the 1940 Air Terminal Museum.
  • Abilene State Park - Tuscola TX
    "The Civilian Conservation Corps, Roosevelt’s first New Deal recovery program, built the original parts of Abilene State Park, including picnic areas and swimming pool complex. In 1934, the 507 acres were dedicated as a state park. According to the Taylor County Historical Commission, another CCC company, all black veterans, returned a year later to finish the effort, repairing roads and building a stone water tower." (Abilene Reporter-News)
  • Adams Avenue Overpass - Temple TX
    The Adams Avenue Overpass is a 285 foot long steel stringer bridge that takes West Adams Avenue over multiple tracks of the former Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway (now BNSF Railway) in Temple, Texas. The bridge, which replaced an existing timber trestle structure, consists of six spans of steel I-beams resting on concrete abutments and bents. The United States Bureau of Public Roads provided funding for the bridge through a federal aid grade crossing program. The Texas Highway Department designed the bridge which was built by the Austin Bridge Company between July 1938 and April 1939 at a cost...
  • Adams Gym - Lockhart TX
    Adams Gym is a combination auditorium and gymnasium built of rubble masonry construction with a wood floor and steel trusses supporting the roof. The Works Progress Administration built the gym under official project number 65-66-4648.
  • Airline Drive Overpass - Houston TX
    The Texas Highway Department and the Federal Works Agency Public Roads Administration built an overpass in 1941 to separate the grade of Airline Drive and the Houston Belt and Terminal Railway tracks. The overpass is currently open to traffic.
  • Al Hayne Monument Restoration - Fort Worth TX
    The monument itself dates from 1893 but the original marble bust was replaced in 1934 by a bronze one sculpted by Evaline Sellors as a PWAP project. The curbing (reflecting pool) around the Al Hayne Monument is a CWA project: "The marble bust of Al Hayne, carved by Lloyd Bowman, was removed due to extreme deterioration, according to a Fort Worth Star-Telegram article from June, 1934. (Note: this is at odds with a Fort Worth oral tradition which holds that the Hayne bust was stolen). Fort Worth sculptor Evaline Sellors received a commission from the federally-funded Public Works of Art Project to sculpt...
  • Alabama Street Development - El Paso TX
    Among the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects identified as completed in an El Paso Times article from June 7, 1936 was the "paving of Alabama Street and Wilson road, 7.36 miles, cost $31,588.94," as well as "Alabama Street spillway flood control project. $6408.23."
  • Alamo Grounds Improvements - San Antonio TX
    Multiple New Deal agencies were involved with improving the grounds at the Alamo. A timeline mural board on the west side of the Alamo Museum indicates that "depression-era public works projects" built the walls that now encompass the grounds of the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas. The Alamo is regarded as the "Shrine of Texas Liberty" due to its location of the famous battle within its perimeter during the Texas Revolution; however, it was originally the site of Mission San Antonio Valero which was moved here in 1724 after several previous locations in the area were not suitable. The New York Times...
  • Alamo Stadium - San Antonio TX
    San Antonio's historic Alamo Stadium was constructed at/near the site of an abandoned rock quarry by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938-40. The facility was dedicated September 20, 1940. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a much loved place for many San Antonians who grew up here. In 2013 Alamo Stadium underwent a $35 million renovation which restored the facades, including plaques and markers.
  • Alamo Stadium Tile Murals - San Antonio TX
    Alamo Stadium was built by the WPA in 1940. In 1941 four tile murals, entitled 100 Years of Sports in San Antonio, Texas, 1840-1940, were installed above the main entrance to the stadium; this project was under the auspices of the WPA Arts and Crafts program. The stadium recently underwent an extensive restoration/renovation program. The murals were removed and then reinstalled in their original location. The following description is from the NRHP nomination form: "To enhance the stadium, Ethel Wilson Harris, supervisor of the WPA Arts and Crafts Division in San Antonio, undertook her program’s largest project to date. The work was...
  • Alazan Courts - San Antonio TX
    San Antonio's Board of Commissioners created the San Antonio Housing Authority (SAHA) on June 17, 1937. On September 1, 1937, President Roosevelt signed the United States Housing Act of 1937. This created the United States Housing Authority (USHA) and provided $500 million for subsidies to be paid from the U.S. government to local public housing agencies (LHAs) like SAHA to improve living conditions for low-income families. SAHA made applications to the USHA for funds and the USHA agreed to provide financing for five projects; Alazan Courts, Apache Courts, Lincoln Heights Courts, Wheatley Courts and Victoria Courts. San Antonio enforced segregation in...
  • Alice Carlson School Addition - Fort Worth TX
    "Alice E. Carlson Elementary was named in honor of the first woman who served on the school board. It originally opened as a 4-room school in 1926. The 1-story polychrome brown brick building was designed by Wiley G. Clarkson and constructed by A. J. Howard in a Mission Revival-influenced style. The rapid growth of the surrounding TCU neighborhood called for the enlargement of the school in 1935 under the PWA program. This addition, designed by Joseph R. Pelich and erected by Harry B. Friedman, tripled the size of the school and included an auditorium wing. The front entrance was altered slightly...
  • Alice Keith Park Swimming Pool - Beaumont TX
    The Alice Keith Park Swimming Pool in Beaumont, TX was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938. A ten-acre municipal tract, Alice Keith Park was constructed in 1932 to help alleviate unemployment and provide a recreational space in the southeastern section of the city. The Superintendent of Parks and Recreation remarked after the pool’s completion: “As a WPA project, which included sewer lines, sidewalks, and other park improvements, the pool was constructed and landscaped in about six months and was opened May 28 , designated as city-wide ‘Splash Day.’ The pool is the last word in modern appearance,...
  • Amarillo College: Ordway Hall - Amarillo TX
    Ordway Hall at Amarillo College was constructed as a New Deal project. Sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA), it was the Public Works Administration (PWA) that provided a $73,116 grant for the project, whose total cost was $162,547. Construction occurred between 1936 and 1937. P.W.A. Docket No. Tex. 1499 "Architect Guy Carlander designed this administration building for Amarillo College. It was built in 1936-37 and later named for George Ordway, who with James Guleke obtained legislative authority to establish the school; Ordway later became the first president. The L-plan building consists of an auditorium and a two-story classroom and office wing with 19...
  • Amarillo College: Russell Gymnasium - Amarillo TX
    The Russell Gymnasium at Amarillo College in Amarillo, Texas was undertaken with the assistance of funds provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA) during the Great Depression. Text From the state historical marker reads: "The administration building and the gymnasium were the first two permanent structures built for Amarillo College. Originally known as Badger Gymnasium for the school's athletic teams, this facility was renamed to honor Dr. Natalie Russell, who fostered women's physical education at the college. Architect Guy Carlander designed the building, erected in 1937-39 with Public Works Administration funding. The steel and brick gymnasium includes a two-story central space surrounded...
  • Amon Carter-Riverside High School - Fort Worth TX
    This was one of five monumental senior high schools built in Fort Worth with the aid of New Deal programs. It was designed by Fort Worth architect Wyatt C. Hedrick in an eclectic Spanish Baroque style and features yellow brick and a clay tile roof. Funding for the building came through the Public Works Administration (PWA). The grounds of the school were landscaped by Hare & Hare of Kansas City, Missouri, with the work implemented by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The heavily-treed campus includes a band shelter with stage that was built by the WPA.  The school has been...
  • Amphitheater - Mineral Wells TX
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) erected an amphitheater in Mineral Wells, Texas during the Great Depression. The natural rock, earth, and grass amphitheater behind the Lillian Peek Home Economics building in Mineral Wells was constructed in 1937. Both projects were recently renovated by the 50 Year Club of Mineral Wells.
  • Antelope Gymnasium - Antelope TX
    This high school gymnasium was constructed in Antelope, Texas during the Great Depression with the assistance of the Works Progress Administration. In addition to the native stone structure, the construction project included a septic tank, disposal field, and improved school facilities and employed approximately 20 laborers. $13, 622 of the total cost of $21,393 was provided by WPA while the local school district provided the remainder.
  • Apache Courts - San Antonio TX
    San Antonio's Board of Commissioners created the San Antonio Housing Authority (SAHA) on June 17, 1937. On September 1, 1937, President Roosevelt signed the United States Housing Act of 1937. This created the United States Housing Authority (USHA) and provided $500 million for subsidies to be paid from the U.S. government to local public housing agencies (LHAs) like SAHA to improve living conditions for low-income families. SAHA made applications to the USHA for funds and the USHA agreed to provide financing for five projects; Alazan Courts, Apache Courts, Lincoln Heights Courts, Wheatley Courts and Victoria Courts. San Antonio enforced segregation in...
  • Aransas National Wildlife Refuge - Austwell TX
    Aransas National Wildlife Refuge is a 114,657-acre, federally protected area at San Antonio Bay on the coast of Texas. The refuge was established by Executive Order 7784 on December 31, 1937 by President Franklin D. Roosevelt as the Aransas Migratory Waterfowl Refuge. The name was changed in 1939. It was created under the Bureau of Biological Survey and is administered today by the US Fish and Wildlife Service (created in 1940 from previous agencies). The refuge was set aside to protect the breeding grounds of migratory birds and the vanishing wildlife of coastal Texas. In particular, Aransas was the focal point of...
  • Archer City High School - Archer City TX
    Funded by the Public Works Administration, the school cost $42,000. This work was supervised by W. J. Walker of the Olney PWA office, who supervised the Jermyn School construction.
  • Arlington Heights Senior High School - Fort Worth TX
    Arlington Heights Senior High School was one of five monumental high schools built in Fort Worth, Texas through the Public Works Administration (PWA). It was designed by local architect Preston M. Geren and built by Butcher and Sweeney in 1936-37 in the Georgian Revival style. The three-story central block is flanked by one-story arcaded wings. The landscape improvements were designed by Hare & Hare of Kansas City, MO and implemented by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The large campus was given a park-like treatment with a formal reflecting pool in front of the school and a long vista extending south from the rear. Also...
  • Arneson River Theatre - San Antonio TX
    The Arneson River Theatre is a well known landmark along San Antonio's Riverwalk. Built with WPA funds between 1938 and 1940 it has hosted thousands of events. The stage is on the north bank of the river with seating on the south bank. It is most frequently used for summer plays, including the popular Fiesta Noche Del Rio. It is also a popular venue for weddings. It is a part of the La Villita Historic Arts Village.
  • Athletic Field - Gorman TX
    The Works Progress Administration built an athletic field in Gorman TX. A rock masonry fence with concrete coping encloses the athletic field. The fence is 8'-4" tall and 12" wide. The rock entrance and ticket booths with the plaque are dated 1938-1940. There is stadium seating on both sides of the field (unmarked, but appear to match). Official Project No. 65-1-66-2823.
  • Atlanta Miller Grade School (former) - Atlanta TX
    The Atlanta Miller Grade School was a Works Progress Administration project taking 120 days to complete. Hardy Brothers of Texarkana began construction of the one-story, six-room building in 1936. Text from the state historical marker at the site reads: Atlanta-Miller Grade School. Public education in Atlanta dates to 1874. Prior to the civil rights era of the mid-20th century, separate schools served Anglo and African American students. The school at this site, known initially as Atlanta Grade School, was built for white students in 1936 with federal funding through the Works Progress Administration. Due to high enrollment, building additions were completed over...
  • Auditorium / Gym - Farwell TX
    An auditorium/gym construction project in Farwell, Texas was undertaken in 1935 with Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The P.W.A. provided a $15,000 loan and $7,800 grant for the project, whose total cost was $27,737. The exact location and status of the facility is presently unknown to Living New Deal. P.W.A. Docket No. TX 9428
  • Auditorium and Gymnasium - Saint Jo TX
    A combination auditorium/gymnasium was constructed at Saint Jo, Texas by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1939. When finished, the building was to be 72 x 100 feet. The auditorium was to be 72 x 85 feet. It had a seating capacity of 1500 with 500 additional in bleachers. A 100 square foot stage was at the north end. Showers were installed at either end of the stage and dressing rooms and lockers were in the basement beneath the stage. The 13 1/2 inch walls were of concrete block with a four inch brick veneer to match the existing school....
  • Austin Hall (former; TWU) - Denton TX
    Texas Woman University's original Austin Hall was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. "Named after Texas hero Stephen F. Austin, the hall was constructed in 1936-37 on the site of the original "dorm row."" The building is since demolished; a building in the newer Lowry Woods Apartments complex on campus has also been given the name Austin Hall.
  • Austin High School - Houston TX
    The Stephen F. Austin Senior High School in southeast Houston, Texas was constructed as a New Deal project with the aid f Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The three-story building, featuring "44 classrooms, a large auditorium, a cafeteria, a gymnasium, a swimming pool, a library, sewing, cooking and home economics rooms and administrative offices," opened in 1937.
  • Austin High School (former) Annex - Austin TX
    The main building of the old Austin High School was erected in 1916 and was originally the John Allan Junior High School. The existing Austin High School campus, built in 1900, became overcrowded, and in 1924, the decision was made to swap the students in Austin High with Allan Junior High. This happened after the Thanksgiving holiday in 1925. In 1939, the school district added an annex of twenty-four classrooms to the Austin High School building using partial funding from the Public Works Administration. The two-story addition was separated from the main building by a courtyard and connected with a covered...
  • Austin Municipal Airport (demolished) Runways - Austin TX
    The runways of Austin Municipal Airport, later known as Robert Mueller Municipal Airport, were Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects conducted in the late 1930s/early 1940s. The municipal airport was replaced by the Austin-Bergstrom Air Force Base in 1999, which became the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. Robert Mueller Airport, which was then decommissioned, has since been redeveloped for mixed-use purposes, including housing and stores. The airport officially opened in 1930 with one small building, gravel runways, and a gas pump. There were only a few flights during this time because of how small it was. This WPA project was one of many to...
  • Austin-Travis County Tuberculosis Sanatorium (former) - Austin TX
    From the PWA docket no.TEX-2070-F: On October 6, 1938, the Austin City Council adopted a resolution accepting financing from the Public Works Administration for a tuberculosis sanatorium including necessary equipment. The grant would pay for 45% of the cost of the project, not to exceed $24,750. The city located the project on sixteen acres of land in far East Austin. On December 1, 1938, the city council accepted a bid of $44,600 from contractor Will O'Connell of San Angelo for construction on the sanatorium building. On February 2, 1940, the city council declared the contracts with O'Connell and most of the...
  • Avenue E School and Gymnasium - Copperas Cove TX
    The Avenue E School was built in the 1900s and the Works Progress Administration remodeled/built additions to it. There is a place on the building where a marker has been removed. A marker on the next door Gymnasium rock building reads: Copperas Cover Independent School District J.C. Culwell, Supt Trustees Louis Behrens, Pres. M.I. Walker, Sec'y R.C. Adams Leo M. Frase H.J. Leonhard M.Y. Stacy O.E. Urbantke W.P.A. Project No. 15511 1940
  • Bachelor Creek Bridge - Terrell TX
    Concrete Cast-in-Place bridge on Griffith Avenue in Terrell, TX. It has a metal plaque at both ends of the bridge which is approx. 108 feet long. Joint project of Texas Highway Department and US Bureau of Public Roads.
  • Bachman Lake Shelter House - Dallas TX
    Text on a plaque in the building reads: The Bachman Lake Shelter House was designed by the National Park Service and constructed by the young men of the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1939. Just as today, the shelter served the community as a gathering place. The building continues to serve our community as a place for special events. In 2006, Bachman Lake Shelter House was carefully restored to its original configuration and appearance through the coordinated efforts of The Bachman Lake Foundation and Dallas Park and Recreation Department. Dedicated November 18, 2006.
  • Bailey Park - Austin TX
    In November 1935, the Works Progress Administration authorized $8243.00 for the construction and improvements at a new two acre playground, which would become Bailey Park. The improvements included two tennis courts, a baseball diamond, wading pool, light, water and sewer facilities and a shelter house. The City of Austin added $4751.30 for the project.
  • Baird High School Gym, Football Field, and Wall - Baird TX
    The Works Progress Administration built the Baird High School gym, football field, and wall in Baird TX.
  • Ballinger City Park - Ballinger TX
    The National Youth Administration built park facilities in Ballinger City Park. The marker is installed in a rock wall lining the park road. Park amenities include an old bridge, picnic tables, a low bench, a couple of buildings, and retaining walls.
  • Balmorhea State Park - Toyahvale TX
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC): 1856 CCC Camp SP-47-T operated in this corner of west Texas. The CCC developed Balmorhea State Park, and constructed its iconic pool, between 1935 and 1940. Texas.gov: CCC Company 1856 arrived here in July 1934. They first built barracks, a mess hall and a kitchen to support 130 to 200 men and their supervisors. This would be home for the next few years. The CCC men crafted a 1.3-acre pool around the springs, along with a concession building, two bath houses, San Solomon Courts, and other improvements in the park. They used local limestone and fashioned adobe bricks...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 26