The sidewalk along Angell Street connecting Wayland Square to the Brown University campus through the Historic Wayland Square neighborhood is WPA-built. Angell runs adjacent to the Brown athletic facilities and the Wheeler School, and is heavily trafficked by joggers… read more
“One of my favorite places in Providence is Blackstone Boulevard, the tree-lined, two-mile stretch of road on the East Side that is a popular destination for joggers, walkers, readers and painters. At both ends of the boulevard, there are tiny… read more
Construction of Hope High School, undertaken with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funding, comprised one of the largest New Deal undertakings in Rhode Island. “The Hope Street High School is one of the largest high schools in America, accommodating 2,200… read more
This New Deal Art Deco building was originally constructed as the “post office annex” to the 1908 Federal Building and Courthouse next door. The building still functions as both a post office and a general federal building housing various federal… read more
This WPA building is ornamented with “Cast concrete sculptures on the facade […] created by artist Raymond Barger, a Maryland native who studied at the Carnegie Institute and Yale. Completed in 1940, the carved sculptures were executed under the WPA’s… read more
A W.P.A. shield-style plaque embedded in the sidewalk, on South side of Lloyd Ave., east of Hope St., identifies the sidewalk as a W.P.A. construction. The plaque is located adjacent to Erickson Gym, directly across the street from the direct entrance to… read more
“Pawtucket native Edward Dubuque produced the set of five murals under the auspices of the Federal Emergency Relief Association (FERA) as an art project, and they were formally dedicated on April 23, 1935. Dubuque went on to produce backdrop sets… read more
A long, two-story building, Colonial Revival in style. Built by the PWA in 1934-36 to house a training school as well as a gymnasium. The architects were William R. Walker & Son, of Providence. The School for the Deaf has… read more
The Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) provided funding assistance toward in the construction of an ‘addition’ to the Rhode Island State House, located across the street from the State House. The building now houses the state’s Department of Transportation.
The Works Progress Administration built a garage for the State Armory of Mounted Commands in Providence. The location and status of this project is presently unknown to Living New Deal.