A two-story, Colonial Revival building, with a prominent cupola and portico. A PWA structure, it was designed by Providence architect Edwin E. Cull. Built to house administration offices and a medical library, it is now occupied by the Rhode Island… read more
A substantial structure, of conservative Colonial Revival design. Its only ornament of any significance is the Palladian Window in the center pavilion, with a delicate fan above. It was designed by Edwin E. Cull of Providence, who also designed the… read more
A large, three-story building facing Howard Avenue, the main road through the hospital campus. The building, in the Colonial Revival style, is most notable for its prominent ogee gable. The ogee gable has been a recurring element in Rhode Island… read more
Now known as the Pinel Building, this building was built as a dormitory. It was designed by William R. Walker & Son, a Providence firm known for public buildings. It is built in the Colonial Revival style.
Now known as the Dorothea Dix Building, this building was built as a dormitory. It was designed by William R. Walker & Son, a Providence firm known for public buildings. In the Colonial Revival style. Built by both the Hospital… read more
In 1936, this three story hospital building was remodeled under the P.W.A. The architect was Albert H. Humes, of Pawtucket. It was originally built in 1918 and designed by John Hutchins Cady of Providence. It is today part of the… read more
A large, three-story Colonial Revival building. It was designed by architect John F. Hogan, of Providence. It was built concurrently with neighboring Simpson Hall, which is nearly identical, though by different architects. Barry Hall was named for a former superintendent… read more
A large multi-purpose building, in the Colonial Revival style. Originally housed the hospital’s chapel, cafeteria, and gymnasium. Designed by John F. O’Malley of Pawtucket. Used until recently as a homeless shelter.
A long Colonial Revival building, built to house a hospital. It was designed by the firm of Barker & Turoff, of Providence. It is located directly west of the Reception Hospital, the institution’s first building.
A two-story Colonial Revival building on a high basement. Like its neighbor, the Welcome Arnold Building, it was designed by Oresto Disaia. Unlike its neighbor, it has had some of its detailing altered, making the two no longer identical.
This is one of the largest buildings on the hospital campus. It stands three and four stories tall, gable-roofed, with a substantial clock tower. Like most of the area’s buildings, it is in the Colonial Revival style. The architect was… read more
A group of three Colonial Revival houses that would not look out of place in an early suburb. There were once two more of these houses, on the south side of the street, which have been demolished. The architects of… read more
A large Colonial Revival building. Built concurrently with neighboring Elizabeth Barry Hall, which is identical, though designed by a different architect. Simpson was designed by Howe & Church, of Providence.
A two-story Colonial Revival building on a high basement. Like its neighbor, the Jonathan Arnold Building, it was designed by Oresto Disaia. Unlike its neighbor, it remains unaltered, making the two no longer identical. The building is currently vacant.
A two-story, flat-roofed building. Nominally Colonial Revival in style. This is one of the three original buildings of the Hospital, built by the PWA in 1936.
A three-story, Colonial Revival building built by the PWA in 1936. Like its neighbor, the Bernadette Building, the McDonald Building houses part of the women’s prison.
The PWA built the power facilities at the State Infirmary Hospital. The power plant has since been substantially expanded, but it is unclear if the original building remains. Note that in the above photograph, the passageway at the right was… read more
Built by the PWA in 1936 as the main building of its institution, the Virks Building is one of the largest buildings in this part of the city. It features a large portico, overlooking West Road. It was designed by… read more
Now demolished, this PWA building originally housed the school’s administration offices and classrooms for industrial education. A long, low Colonial Revival building. The architect is unknown at this time.
A two-story, T-shaped Colonial Revival building, with a cross-gable roof and a cupola. Built by the PWA in 1936-38 to house an auditorium, gymnasium, and swimming pool. Like most of the Sockanosset buildings, this building has been demolished for the… read more
This stone cottage was one of a few such buildings at the Sockanosset Training School, and stood until the late 2000s, when the site was redeveloped. The building appears in the FERA record group (135-SAR), but was not among those… read more