The Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration (PRRA) enlarged the Toro Negro hydroelectric plant, located north of Villalba. The work consisted of “new turbines, penstock pipes, canals, transformers, switches, and other control equipment.”
Between 1936-1937, the Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration (PRRA) built the Toro Negro hydroelectric plant no. 2, located at the headwaters of the Toro Negro River.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse in San Juan was built in 1914 with a New Deal-era addition constructed in 1938-1940. Now known as Jose V. Toledo Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse,… read more
The expansion and development of Puerto Rico’s education system was central to the Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration’s (PRRA) agenda. The agency earmarked $2,062,954.40 for the development of the University of Puerto Rico, which remains the most important higher-education institution on… read more
The main campus of the University of Puerto Rico was founded in 1903 in Río Piedras. Part of the campus, including the athletic field, was built with the help of the PRRA. “In 1924 the Chicago firm of urbanists Bennett, Parsons and… read more
The Civil Works Administration and the Puerto Rico Emergency Relief Administration built the Radio and Hurricane Research Laboratory, at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras.
Municipalities across Puerto Rico asked for the PRRA’s help with improving existing water systems and building new ones. The municipality of Isabela benefited from this help—between 1937 and 1938, the PRRA improved and built waterworks and irrigation systems in the community. Geoff Burrows… read more