“The Art Gallery, also on the second floor” of the main branch of the Erie Public Library housed, among other works, “Two interesting paintings by Harry Klopp, done under the WPA Federal Art Project, are Robin Hood and The Pied… read more
The former F. L. Garrison Memorial School was constructed as a New Deal project in 1938-9. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $269,100 grant for the project, whose total cost was $516,456. PWA Docket No. PA [X]1903
This red brick post office building was built in 1936 as Philadelphia’s Fairmount Station post office, and is now the Fairmount carrier annex.
Pennsylvania State University’s Ferguson Building was one of a dozen buildings constructed on the campus during the Great Depression as part of a massive construction project enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The building is still in use today.
A substantial infrastructure development project was undertaken in downtown McKeesport as part of a New Deal project, sponsored by the Public Works Administration (PWA). According to the Pittsburgh Press the project involved: “Raising and paving of Fifth Avenue and adjacent streets and alleys,… read more
The Work Projects Administration (WPA) worked to develop and improve Fort Indiantown Gap in Pennsylvania. Work, approved in the fall of 1940, included “improvements to the landing field, construction and improvement of buildings and installation of sewer and electric lines.”
Fort Necessity National Battlefield in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, preserves the site of the Battle of Fort Necessity. “In 1935-37, a Civilian Conservation Corps camp was located at Fort Necessity. The Corps constructed barracks and other support buildings at the site… read more
Pennsylvania State University’s Frear North Laboratory was one of a dozen buildings constructed on the campus during the Great Depression as part of a massive construction project enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The building is still in use… read more
“During the Great Depression in the 1930s, the Federal government purchased much of the land used for charcoal production as part of a national project to reclaim marginal lands. This project provided jobs and improved local economies by developing recreation… read more
General Logan Boulevard, a.k.a. “the old Weyman-Baptist Rd., which links Overbrook with the South Park sector, has been re-christened,” or, the “road from Saw Mill Run Boulevard to South Park,” was one road paved as part of New Deal efforts, sponsored by the… read more
According to Jim Campi, director of policy and communications at the Civil War Trust, “During the Depression, the Gettysburg Battlefield benefitted from a New Deal Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) program. The park hosted two CCC camps—one in the Pitzer Woods… read more
A grade separation project was undertaken in Millvale, in 1938-9, as part of a New Deal project sponsored by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $76,050 grant for the project, whose total cost was $163,052. PWA Docket No. PA [X]2023. The… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) sponsored the following: “Projects approved for Mercer County include alterations and addition to Hickory High school …” The location and status of this facility is presently unknown to Living New Deal. PWA Docket No. PA… read more
“In 1935, the National Park Service purchased Hickory Run to create a national recreation demonstration area. These areas were placed near large urban centers to provide fresh air recreation for lower class urban dwellers. In 1936, Works Progress Administration workers… read more
"The Highland Park Highway Bridge, illustrated at the top of this page, crosses the Allegheny River, replaces a bridge built in 1902, and eliminates four railroad grade crossings. The main spans consist of a steel-deck cantilever structure with north and… read more
Hollidaysburg Area Junior High School, originally a high school, was built in 1936-7 as a New Deal project: the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $117,818 grant for the school construction project in Bradford, whose total cost was $262,499. The since-expanded… read more
"The Pittsburgh-Homestead high-level bridge, which spans the Monongahela River, replaces the obsolete Brown's highway bridge and eliminates two railroad grade crossings and a circuitous approach. The total length of the bridge and its approaches is 4,200 feet and the bridge… read more
The federal Civil Works Administration worked to improve the incinerator plant in Greenville, Pennsylvania between 1933 and 1934. The location and current status of the facility is unknown to Living New Deal.
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted improvement work at the historic former Pennsylvania National Guard Armory in Indiana, Pennsylvania. Located at the northeast corner of Washington St. and Wayne Ave., the building presently houses the Indiana County Historical Society… read more
Then known as Indiana State Teachers College, Indiana University of Pennsylvania benefited during the Great Depression from a large construction project enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $226,000 grant for the project, whose final cost… read more