Dennis L. Edwards Tunnel (former Sunset Tunnel; Wolf Creek Tunnel) – Timber OR

Dennis L Edwards Tunnel East

Originally named the Wolf Creek Tunnel, construction on this 800-foot long tunnel began in 1940 as one of the final steps in completion of the Wolf Creek Highway’s path through the Coast Range linking the Portland area with northern Oregon… read more

Devil’s Punchbowl State Natural Area – Otter Rock OR

Devil's Punchbowl - Otter Rock OR

In the 1934, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed the Devil’s Punchbowl day-use area for public use.  The improvements included picnic tables, fireplaces, restroom, drinking fountain, water supply, a foot trail and steps to the beach. The majority of these… read more

Duniway Park (improved) – Portland OR

Work Relief Crews at Duniway Park improving the area from landfill to park - Portland OR

Although Duniway Park was founded in 1918 to serve residents in south Portland, improvements had been limited and those who used it complained of the odors associated with the landfill that originally established the playground area. In 1934, the Oregon’s… read more

Eagle Creek Campground and Picnic Area – Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area OR

Landscaped Pathways at Eagle Creek Campground

Although the Eagle Creek Campground opened as the first “auto camp” in the northwest region in 1915, Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) workers made significant improvements to the campground from 1934 to 1937. As early as August 1934, the Oregonian reported that “Eagle… read more

Eagle Creek Overlook Group Site – Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area OR

Eagle Creek Overlook Shelter from west

In 1937, CCC workers from Camp Cascade Locks began improvements on recently acquired park land to extend the Eagle Creek campground and picnic area to the shores of the Columbia. These twenty-one acres were acquired to provide access to land… read more

Fish Lake Remount Depot/Fish Lake Guard Station Historic District – Willamette National Forest OR

Fish Lake Remount Depot Barn & Corral

By constructing several buildings and the necessary facilities for management of mules and horses, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers played an integral role in  transforming the Fish Lake Guard Station into the Fish Lake Remount Depot. To operate in the… read more

Franklin High School Statue: “Benjamin Franklin” – Portland OR

From 1939 to 1942, Portland’s Franklin High School benefited from two different Works Progress Administration (WPA) initiatives. One of the projects allowed artists from the Federal Art Project, one of the five independent branches of the Works Progress Administration, to… read more

Gresham High School Improvements and Additions – Gresham OR

From 1939 to 1940 the Works Progress Administration (WPA) made improvements and built additions to Gresham High School in Gresham, Oregon, just east of Portland. The additions included a gym, an agricultural building, the north wing of the classrooms, and an auditorium. Michael Schaefer, Gresham… read more

Guy W. Talbot State Park Improvements – Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area OR

Latourell Falls in Guy W. Talbot State Park - Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area OR

Guy W. Talbot State Park, also known as Latourell Falls State Park, entered the Oregon State Park system in 1929 when the Talbot family donated 125 acres of land adjacent to Latourell Falls. Significant development of the park, however, began… read more

Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge – Lake County OR

Hart Mountain Headquarter Building

“A former CCC camp is located at the base of Hart Mountain. From this camp, Company 3442 carried out various projects, including fence construction and the installation of telephone lines. The remaining building was the camp infirmary. The CCC campsite… read more

Honeyman State Park: Bathhouse – Florence OR

Bathhouse and terrace, Honeyman State Park - Florence OR

From 1936 to 1941, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed Honeyman State Park, just south of Florence, Oregon, under the supervision of the National Park Service (NPS).  The parkland had been purchased by the state from 1930 to 1936. Honeyman… read more

Honeyman State Park: Cleawox Picnic Area – Florence OR

Picnic shelter #1, Honeyman State Park - Florence OR

From 1936 to 1941, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed Honeyman State Park, just south of Florence, Oregon, under the supervision of the National Park Service (NPS).  The parkland had been purchased by the state from 1930 to 1936. Honeyman… read more

Horse Creek Group Campground – Willamette National Forest OR

Group Picnic Facilities at Horse Creek Campground - Willamette National Forest OR

Among the first of their recreation related construction projects, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees from Camp Belknap laid out and built the Horse Creek Campground in 1934. The group campground is located one-and-a-half miles south of McKenzie Bridge on the… read more