The federal Work Projects Administration undertook a large road repair project starting in 1935 in the borough of Queens. The streets, many of which in New York City were still unpaved, were repaired; particular emphasis was placed on fixing washout-damaged stretches… read more
The SUNY Maritime College is located on the Throgs Neck Peninsula in the Bronx. Researcher Frank da Cruz has compiled a brief history from multiple sources: “It started as the New York Nautical School in 1874 on a succession of… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration worked to “renovate and repair” several buildings in Staten Island as part of a $225,507 project begun in 1935. Buildings improved included what is now the Staten Island Civil Courthouse in West New Brighton.
The federal Works Progress Administration worked to “renovate and repair” several buildings in Staten Island as part of a $225,507 project begun in 1935. Buildings improved included what is now the Staten Island Criminal Court in Stapleton.
The federal Public Works Administration (PWA) financed part of the construction of ferry boats for the Staten island Ferry, to the tune of $1,397,500. The first boat, “Gold Star Mother,” was dedicated by Mayor La Guardia on May 7, 1937. The project… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) helped to restore the the Staten Island Historical Society Museum, now part of Historic Richmond Town. New Deal efforts on this project likely began under a precursor agency to the WPA: the Civil Works Administration… read more
The Staten Island Technical High School building was originally constructed as New Dorp High School during the 1930s, with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds (PWA Docket No. NY 8882). The large building is Georgian Neoclassical in… read more
The Statue of Liberty was a gift to the United States from France in 1886. It was administered by the United States Lighthouse Board until 1901 and then by the Department of War. In 1937, FDR proclaimed the entire island… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration undertook a large road repair project starting in 1935 in the borough of Queens. The streets, many of which in New York City were still unpaved, were repaired; particular emphasis was placed on fixing washout-damaged… read more
On October 1, 1936, the Department of Parks announced the completion of significant developments in Stuyvesant Square park: “At Stuyvesant Square Park the south half of the rectangular section west of Second Avenue and bounded by Second Avenue, East 15th… read more
“Under the auspices of the New York Department of Sanitation, between 1937 and 1944, three new wastewater treatment plants were constructed — Wards Island in Manhattan, and Bowery Bay and Tallman Island in Queens. These facilities were designed to reduce… read more
“The Horse Tamers, by Frederick MacMonnies (1863-1937), is one of many sculpture groups in the outdoor collection of New York City’s parks. Dedicated in 1899, the Horse Tamers flank the Park Circle Entrance of Prospect Park… Horse Tamers is an… read more
New York City’s Parks Department writes: “Once known as the “Pauper Burial Ground”, “Colored Cemetery of Flushing” and “Martin’s Field”, this site was renamed in 2009 “The Olde Towne of Flushing Burial Ground”. “The Queens Department of Parks acquired this… read more
Several different schools are located in this building. This untitled New Deal mosaic by Ilya Bolotowsky is located on the 3rd floor. It was installed in 1936.
The Thirteenth Avenue Retail Market in Borough Park was constructed in the 1930s as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project. Much of the structure’s visual presence is still intact.
This small green space between Riverside Dr., Seaman Ave. and Dyckman St. in Manhattan was “provided with shade trees and benches for passive recreation” by the Department of Parks in October 1936. Although the press release announcing the completion of… read more
Tony Dapolito Recreation Center is located at the northwest corner of 7th Ave. S and Clarkson Street in Manhattan. The large outdoor pool was built by the WPA and designed by Aymar Embury II. The Department of Parks announced the… read more