The Madison Square Station post office in New York, New York “was built in 1935, and designed by consulting architects Lorimer Rich for the Office of the Supervising Architect.” (Wikipedia) Professor Dolkart of Columbia University School of Architecture, Planning and… read more
The interior of New York’s Madison Square Station post office features eight tempera-on-plaster murals entitled “Scenes of New York” (1937-1939), commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts funding. Four panels are found on each the right and left wall… read more
The exterior of the Madison Square Station post office sports five bronze reliefs above its main entrance (on 23rd St.) known, collectively, as “Communication.” Three were cast by Edmond R. Amateis and two by Louis Slobodkin in 1937, with funding from… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to restore the Admiral Farragut monument in Madison Square during the mid-1930s.
Constructed as the ‘westerly approach’ road in conjunction with development of the Triborough Bridge, the Mott Haven component of what is now the Major Deegan Expressway was enabled by the provision of New Deal funds. The Public Works Administration supplied a $2,434,500 grant… read more
Among the traffic improvement projects in Brooklyn undertaken by the WPA and described by the New York Times in 1941 was that which impacted a major traffic artery connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan: the Manhattan Bridge and Flatbush Avenue Extension. The… read more
New York’s 1 Centre St. Municipal Building received improvements as part of the New Deal, including new elevators installed in part by Public Works Administration (PWA) funds.
Construction of New York’s LaGuardia Airport was among the largest undertakings of the New Deal’s Works Progress Administration (WPA) and included both today’s main airport (then the “landplane field”) and what is now the Marine Air Terminal (then the “seaplane… read more
An August 1935 Parks Department press release lists Mariners Harbor Playground as one of seventy-three play areas developed in the preceding year with “city, state and federal relief funds.” The release describes this park as having play areas designed for… read more
The New York Times reported in 1941 that, as part of WPA efforts, Brooklyn would receive six new playgrounds, located at: “Third Avenue and Thirty-fourth Street, Second Avenue and Fifty-fifth Street, Fort Hamilton Parkway and Fifty-second Street, Albany and Foster… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration put many men to work starting in 1935 with a number of Staten Island street repair and maintenance projects along roads throughout the borough. Roads paved included the stretch of Martling Avenue (then known as “Martling’s… read more
The Memorial Field of Flushing opened in November, 1934 in a ceremony attended by Mayor LaGuardia. The press release announcing the event described the extensive work carried out with New Deal support: “The land for the Flushing Memorial Playfield was… read more
Brooklyn, New York’s Metropolitan Station post office (originally known as Station A) was constructed with Treasury Department funds in 1935-6. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, the building is “a two-story, flat roofed brick building with… read more
The NYC Parks website explains the provenance of this modest playground in Queens: “Between 1935 and 1938, Parks leased this property from the Gorbess Realty Corporation. In April 1938, the City of New York purchased one parcel of the property… read more
The WPA undertook several projects to improve Staten Island’s Miller Field Airport, a then-U.S. Army facility, during the 1930s and early 1940s. One project called upon the WPA to: “Improve Miller Field Airport at New Dorp Lane … by landscaping… read more
A 2004 New York Times article by Seth Kugel describes a “…metallic-looking mural of four chiseled men working on an oil rig… affixed to the back wall of a dank, cluttered storage room under a school library in Soundview, the… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration undertook a $93,900 project starting in 1935 to modernize and otherwise improve several public (now-former) bath facilities in Brooklyn, NY. The public baths on 14 Montrose Ave. were constructed in 1903; the building has since… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a sizable public building improvement project in Brooklyn, New York beginning in 1935. The project involved the “Improvement of Public Buildings and Offices” at more than 30 locations, including the two no-longer-extant municipal… read more
The playground in Morningside Park located at Morningside Avenue, between W 113th and 114th Streets, was one of seven Works Progress Administration (WPA) playgrounds opened in New York City on November 22, 1935.
On September 29, 1941, the Parks Department announced the completion of a reconstructed playground in the northeast corner of Morningside Park: “Two bench-lined tree shaded malls extend along the entire north and east sides of the playground connecting the park… read more