Broadway Auditorium in Buffalo, New York was improved substantially ca. 1936 by federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor. 150 men were put to work as part of this effort. The building now serves as a municipal Streets Department warehouse.
Buffalo, New York’s Minucipal Auditorium was a $2.7 million New Deal-funded project. Ground was broken on November 30, 1939 and the auditorium opened October 14, 1940. Sources differ with regard to the source of the New Deal funding — an… read more
“Buffalo Zoo Entrance Court – funded by the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA), the entry court and gates (1935-38) are the most intact surviving work of John Edmonston Brent, one of few African Americans practicing as both an architect and… read more
Also known as the 174th Regiment Armory, the Connecticut Street Armory was ‘overhauled’ by federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor.
Originally the Erie County Jail, the Erie County Sheriff’s Office in Buffalo, New York was constructed with federal Public Works Administration funds (Docket No. 1282-D). Construction began February 1937 and the building was completed in 1938. According to a local… read more
Buffalo, New York’s first public housing project, known as Kenfield, was located on what had previously been vacant land a few miles northeast of the city’s downtown. Federal Public Works Administration funds (Docket No. H-6703) supported the project’s construction. The… read more
WPA photos (pictured) show the Schiller Park pools and locker house built by the WPA in Buffalo, New York. Google images do not show an existing pool. Google Earth shows remains of the Pool House (42 54’ 43”N 78 48’… read more
A WPA stadium originally completed in 1937, War Memorial Stadium (a.k.a. the Rockpile, or Best Street Stadium) housed the Buffalo Bills before falling into disuse. Though the stadium itself was demolished in 1988, its northeast and southeast entrances have been… read more