The Civil Works Administration built the Alpine Pavilion in Palisades Interstate Park in Alpine NJ. Built in 1934 and used as a bathhouse until 1944, the Pavilion was restored in 2016 and is used for picnics and gatherings.
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) built the Bloomer’s Beach Bathhouse and Refreshment Stand in the Palisades Interstate Park in Englewood Cliffs NJ. The Palisades Interstate Park Bathhouse served swimmers in the Hudson River until swimming at the beach was terminated during World… read more
The Henry Hudson Drive provides access to sections of the Palisades Interstate Park in New Jersey located on the banks of the Hudson River. The section of the drive from the Englewood Cliffs entrance to the Edgewater entrance were built… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps built the picnic area on Henry Hudson Drive near the Hudson River in the Palisades Interstate Park in New Jersey.
The historic former Palmer Square post office in Princeton, New Jersey, was constructed in 1934. It was originally Princeton’s main post office. Now, the building is privately owned. The building contains an example of New Deal artwork, “a controversial 1939… read more
The historic former Palmer Square post office in Princeton, New Jersey houses an example of New Deal artwork: a large mural, entitled “Columbia under the Palm,” painted by Karl Free in 1939. “One of the distinctive features of the post… read more
Palmyra High School’s football stadium was originally constructed by the WPA in 1936, with a full grandstand, quarter mile cinder track, and football field with accompanying locker rooms. It was recently renovated by the Aliano Brothers and Garrison Architects, who… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a grant for the construction of a bridge to carry Park Avenue over the train tracks in South Plainfield, New Jersey. The project was undertaken as part of a larger grade crossing elimination initiative during… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed crushed-stone footpaths around the old Parkway School in Ewing Township, New Jersey in 1936. The project was undertaken to advance the safety of children attending the school.
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to clean and otherwise improve the old Paterson Armory on Market St. in Paterson, New Jersey, in 1936. In addition to giving the armory its first scrubbing since its construction in 1894, WPA… read more
The middle school was built as Penns Grove High School in 1934-6 as a PWA (Public Works Administration) project and has undergone numerous repairs in recent years. Because of its unique architecture, the school was listed by Preservation New Jersey… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted millions of dollars (not even adjusted for inflation) of improvement and development work at the Picatinny Arsenal and a sub-installation, the Lake Denmark Naval Ammunition Depot, in New Jersey. Work involved the construction… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to improve roads and highways in Winslow Township, New Jersey. Improvements to the two-mile stretch of what was then the “Old Piney Hollow” wagon trail from Mays Hollow Road to the Monroe Township… read more
Works Progress Administration (WPA) project 3-77 involved the construction of “a large playfield area at Chancellor avenue” in Newark, New Jersey. Examination of a photo from a 1936 WPA publication places the field between Chancellor Avenue Elementary School and Hobson… read more
“WPA workers under direction of the Board of Health are engaged in eradication of poison ivy growth prevalent in outlying sections of the city [of Elizabeth], principally in the vicinity of Shelley avenue, Harding road, Coolidge road, Edgewood road and… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) demolished Oakland, New Jersey’s Old Ponds Church in April 1936, after the building had been deemed unsafe by local authorities. However, the WPA then salvaged “stones and hand hewn timbers” from the old church… read more
Bayonne’s massive Port Terminal—later the Military Ocean Terminal at Bayonne—was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. While plans for the development were made in the early 1930s, construction occurred between 1937 and 1938. The PWA supplied a $2,430,000… read more