The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a pistol range at the Morristown State Police Headquarters, ca. 1937. The exact location and status of the project is unknown to Living New Deal.
New Deal funds contributed the the development of the road system in Morris County, New Jersey. State.NJ.us: In the 1930s New Deal public works funding increased the pace of bridge construction with projects that included Route 10 from 1931 to… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed curbs and sidewalks along what was then State Highway Route 4-N (now State Route 71) from Church St. to Wreck Pond. The sidewalks were four feet wide and curbs were six inches wide… read more
State.NJ.us: The last major grade elimination was in 1940-41 when a three-span encased steel stringer bridge (0512150, Dennis Township) over the PRSL was built as part of the South Dennis bypass (now NJ 83), a New Deal works project providing… read more
Hudson County sponsored multiple park-related federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects in northern Bayonne, New Jersey during the Great Depression. Among them was construction of a 36-inch storm sewer for County Park (now the Stephen R. Gregg [County] Park), which… read more
The Steuben House is a longstanding historical and architectural landmark in Bergen County NJ. Its style recalls the Bergen Dutch community. The house was occupied for military purposes during much of the American Revolutionary War, including by General Washington. During… read more
A cooperative community founded under the New Deal’s Resettlement Administration: “The town of Roosevelt was established by the federal government—one of the many planned cooperative communities created under President Roosevelt’s New Deal during the Great Depression. Originally called Jersey Homesteads,… read more
The bridge carrying what was then known as Ocean Highway (presently known as County Road 619) over Townsends Inlet was constructed as part of the largest New Deal construction effort in Cape May County, New Jersey. The bridge is still… read more
Twenty boys of the federal National Youth Administration (NYA) worked on the athletic field and in a machine shop at Trenton Central High School.
Four images “crafted of square tiles square tiles that frame the vestibule beneath the clock tower,” collectively titled “Youth Carrying the Heritage of the Past into the Future,” are located at Trenton Central High School. NJ.com, 2014: “The mosaics were… read more
Ten boys of the federal National Youth Administration worked at the old Trenton Marine Terminal. The facility is now a mixed-use development.
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed and paved Tryon Avenue in Teaneck, New Jersey, an extension of West Palisade Avenue in Englewood to Teaneck Road. The road was considered a “necessary improvement for business development” in Englewood, as more… read more
From the Morristown Daily Record: “TRENTON—Construction work of the Civilian Conservation Corps has been so successfully demonstrated by Camp No. 3, near Springfield, one of 22 such camps in New Jersey, that Union County Park Commission, under whose jurisdiction the… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted improvement on the training ship USS Newton, stationed in Jersey City, NJ. The boat sank in the Hudson River in 1946, and “her hulk was later sold.” WPA project details: “Improve training ship”… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) helped to clear vacant lots in Bayonne, New Jersey. This community improvement effort also paved the way for the development of some of these properties for municipal parks (which were then constructed by the… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked on a project that involved “resurfacing, grading, and seeding lowlands on 25th St. park.” Subsequently the WPA undertook “installing four tennis courts and rock fill and erecting new beauty circle with walks leading… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed what was then known as Willow Park (now Victor Crowell Park) in Middlesex, New Jersey. Work began in December 1935. Among other work, Ambrose Brook was dammed “by a concrete-cored earth fill into… read more