1 2 3 4 5
  • Adult Education - Rochester NH
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) managed an adult education program in Rochester, New Hampshire during the Great Depression. The program replaced a similar one that had been locally organized and funded. A somewhat disdainful attitude toward federal assistance is typified by this addition to the school report by the City of Rochester School Board. "ADULT EDUCATION Contrary to our plans of last year we have again organized adult classes under W. P. A. The work is devoted wholly to preparation for citizenship to meet the needs of about seventy residents of this city. Both afternoon and evening classes have been organized to serve...
  • Airport Development - Claremont NH
    The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) conducted a development / improvement program at what is now known Claremont Municipal Airport. "Develop and improve municipal airport" Official Project Number: 165‐1‐13‐18 Total project cost: $118,235.00 Sponsor: War Department "Improve airport" Official Project Number: 265‐1‐13‐13 Total project cost: $101,719.00 Sponsor: Town Board of Selectmen "Develop airport" Official Project Number: 265‐1‐13‐2 Total project cost: $93,979.00 Sponsor: Town Board of Selectmen
  • Annett State Forest - Rindge NH
    "Enjoy trails and roads laid out by the CCC in the Great Depression. There are also a few ponds and marshes to check out. These trails connect to a local inn's cross-country ski trail network."
  • Attitash Mountain Resort - Bartlett NH
    Attitash is a year round ski area located on U.S. Route 302 in Bartlett, New Hampshire near North Conway. It is operated by Peak Resorts. Located in the heart of the White Mountains, Attitash is home to two mountains, Attitash and Bear Peak with a total of 78 ski runs. Summer activities include an alpine slide, gravity coaster, water park, mountain biking, scenic railroad excursions, and equestrianism. Initial construction was by the WPA. 38 men were employed. Paid by WPA $13,344 00 Town paid $ 3,620.74 Total -----------$16,964.74
  • Barnard Park Improvements - Goffstown NH
    Municipal reports from 1935 and 1936 detail WPA work in Barnard Park: 1935 "WPA workers are engaged in making the pond into a more suitable bathing place. They also intend to finish the second tennis court which was begun last year." 1936 "The Playground Commission made an inspection tour at the Playground of the proposed project by the W.P.A. early last Spring. This work was successfully carried on under the direction of Harold Phelps and A. Kenneth Hambleton. The upper end of the pond was filled in, the pond as well as the brook leading into the pond was cleaned and the sides lined...
  • Bartlett Experimental Forest - Bartlett NH
    "The Bartlett Experimental Forest (BEF) is a field laboratory for research on the ecology and management of northern hardwoods and associated ecosystems. The BEF is within the Saco Ranger District of the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire. It is managed by RWU-4155 of the Northern Research Station. Research activities began at the Experimental Forest when it was established in 1931 and is 2,600 acres in size. "The building program also was in full sway in the early 1930s. By 1934, the CCC crew at Bartlett had built the lodge and cottage, as well as several garages; the office may have been there...
  • Bear Brook State Park Improvements - Allenstown NH
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built "roads, trails,bridle paths, vehicle bridges, ponds for fish and waterfowl, lookouttowers, a nature observatory, shelters, picnic areas, fireplaces,campgrounds, recreational lakes, and worked on landscaping and firefighting. Today you can also find a museum devoted to the CCC in New Hampshire here."
  • Berlin Fish Hatchery - Berlin NH
    "Kilkenny Camp 2117, 155th Company CCC, Berlin, New Hampshire, was established May 29, 1933, as one of the camps of the White Mountain National Forest Service." Once the Dolly Copp Camp Ground was established, the camp focussed on the Berlin hatchery. "A power house, canals, control dykes, and breeding ponds built at the York Pond Fish Hatchery making it one of the largest hatcheries of its kind in the country." "Berlin National Fish Hatchery in Coos County, New Hampshire, will be operated and funded by the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department under a memorandum of agreement signed October 19,...
  • Berlin Regional Airport - Milan NH
    A one-runway private airport north of downtown Berlin, New Hampshire. The airport was started as a CWA project. There was a slight delay during the shutdown of the program. The project was picked up and completed under FERA. DoD resources also cite the WPA: Official Project No.: 165‐1‐13‐50 Total project cost: $780,790.00 Sponsor: City of Berlin
  • Blackberry Crossing Campground - Albany NH
    The current campground was once the site of the Swift River CCC camp #1177 built 6/19/1935. The nearby Conway Library notes an art exhibit by CCC members in 1936: "Blackberry Crossing is unique in that is was a CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) Camp during the 1930's. There is a self-guided tour of the old camp within the campground. The campground has 26 sites that are available on a first come, first served basis. There are hand pumps for water and vault toilets. A short walk from the campground is the Albany Covered Bridge, The Nanamocomuck Ski Trail, and the Boulder Loop...
  • Cannon Mountain Ski Area - Franconia NH
    "The Cannon Mountain Ski Area is state-owned and offers nine lifts servicing 165 acres (67 ha) of skiing (158 with snowmaking). In the 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps cut six ski trails, many of which were later incorporated into the Cannon Mountain Ski Area and, until 1984, the Mittersill Ski Area. The Mittersill Ski Area and Taft CCC Ski Trail were incorporated into the Cannon Mountain Ski Area in 2009."   (wikipedia)
  • CCC Camps and Improvements - White Mountain National Forest NH
    "There were 17 permanent CCC camps on the White Mountain National Forest. After establishing their campsites, the men constructed ski and hiking trails, high country shelters, roads, campgrounds and parking areas. Where there was only a foot trail before, the CCC built the road through Evan's Notch. The planting of new trees was not as necessary on the White Mountain as it was in the 1930's on other National Forests. The lasting impact of the CCC camps in the New England National Forests may be seen today as it is on other Forests in the Eastern Region. The CCC work...
  • Cemetery and Municipal Improvements - Sandown NH
    The 1935 Town report mentions: Public Service Enterprises Fence Construction Centre Cemetery ERA Project ----- $563.69 employing 13 people WPA Highway Project $260.34 WPA Sewing Project $60.21 employing 2 people
  • Cemetery Improvements - Concord NH
    Municipal reports from 1933-1942 detail PWA and WPA work on several local cemeteries. In 1933, the PWA spent nearly $5,000 on the following: Fencing Blossom Hill Cemetery. Crematory Blossom Hill Cemetery. Drainage Blossom Hill Cemetery. Grading Blossom Hill Cemetery, Maple Grove Cemetery, Pine Grove Cemetery. Water systems Maple Grove and Woodlawn Cemeteries. The report states, "This work required a vast amount of time, as the federal government is very exact in detail and text." A 1939 report stated further that: "With the assistance of the WPA, the pond at Blossom Hill Cemetery was restored after many years of disuse. To further beautify this area, azaleas and rhododendrons were...
  • Cemetery Improvements - Fremont NH
    A town report for 1938 says that the WPA helped in the reconstruction of the Curtis and Village cemeteries (located in what is now Chester, NH), in work that employed 30 men.
  • Cemetery Improvements - Goffstown NH
    A municipal report of 1934 describes CWA work on a local cemetery: Cemetery Project US.Govt.Funds on C.W.A. Project Paid for labor $1,556.50 Stone furnished $57.00 Total $1,613.50 The town constructed a wrought iron fence, the CWA's share was the granite foundations for the fence posts and granite pillars for the entranceways.
  • City Hall - Dover NH
    The historic and stately City Hall building in Dover, New Hampshire was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $78.780 grant for the project, whose total cost was $302,847. The building, which was constructed between July 1934 and December 1935, is still in service. PWA Docket No. NH 6185.
  • City Hall - Nashua NH
    Nashua municipal reports for 1934 document that a project to paint the old city hall was either a CWA or FERA project. In 1936, the town decided that the old building was no longer adequate and applied to the PWA for assistance. The federal grants came through, and work on the new city hall and police station commenced in 1937.
  • Coast Guard Station (demolished) - Hampton Beach NH
    A 1938 Hampton Union article reported that: "The new Hampton Beach Coast Guard station will be the most elaborate and up to date of any in this section. The large two and one half story building will be located in a triangle between Dover and Exeter avenues at White Island, instead of at the point near the jetty. A four-door garage will be located at the foot of Dover avenue next to an equipment building. There will be another entrance to the station from Exeter avenue. Two recreation rooms are planned for the first floor of the station, in an ell at...
  • Concord Public Library - Concord NH
    "The year 1938 is most remembered for the devastating hurricane and subsequent floods, but this was also the year steps were taken that resulted in a new library building being built. Although an urgent need for expanded library facilities had been felt for some time, the matter did not come to a head until the State of New Hampshire started condemnation proceedings to acquire the library property to make way for the State House Annex. Fortunately, sufficient funds were made available from the condemnation award, various library construction trusts and a federal PWA grant to finance at no direct cost...
  • Culvert Repair - Exeter NH
    This Works Progress Administration project in Exeter, NH provided employment for fourteen people and completed key repairs on a local culvert. The federal cost was $870.04
  • E. Conway Road - Conway NH
    The Civilian Conservation Corps built the E. Conway Road in Conway NH. According to Langdonian, the CCC camp newsletter, "On May 23rd 1936 the company moved to its present location near Chatham Center, N.H. The chief project on which the company is employed while at this location is the construction of the Saco River Road between Chatham, N.H. And Jackson, H.H. At the present time three bridges on that road are under construction."
  • Elm Street Junior High - Nashua NH
    What today is the Elm Street Junior High was the Nashua senior high school until 1975. In the Town Report for 1936, Mayor Alvin A. Lucier wrote in his summary for the year: "In the latter part of 1935, the City Government accepted the offer of the Federal Government of a grant of two hundred and seventy thousand dollars toward the construction of a new senior high school. That this structure was vitally needed admits of no question. Work has proceeded speedily and efficiently, and we have every reason to believe that the building will be totally completed within the next...
  • Factory Court - Rochester NH
    The Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works provided funds for the construction of a "Fire Protection, Health Conservation and Parking Project" in Rochester, New Hampshire during the Great Depression. The lot currently serves as a popular staging grounds for public events.   "RESOLUTION TO FILE APPLICATION TO F. E. A. TO FINANCE PARKING PROJECT FACTORY COURT A Resolution authorizing the City of Rochester to file an application to the United States of America through the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works for a grant to aid in financing the construction of Fire Protection, Health Conservation and Parking Project, and designating the Mayor, Sumner...
  • Flood Control - Concord NH
    Following the flood of 1936 in the Merrimack Valley, action was taken by local and national leaders. In 1936, the city reported the following resolution: "Whereas, the recent flood in the Merrimack Valley caused serious damages to our industrial plants, many of which suffered not only through the direct damage but production loss and their employees became victims of the flood through unemployment and loss in wages and. Whereas, floods such as we have experienced may again occur unless immediate steps are taken to create storage reservoirs, Be it resolved, that the Concord City Government hereby respectfully petitions the President of...
  • Flood Reconstruction - Epsom NH
    George Yeaton was the supervisor on reconstruction efforts, undertaken by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) after the flood of 1936 on WPA Project No. 814, repairing town roads damaged by flood $428.79.
  • Flood Reconstruction - Farmington NH
    The 1936 Annual Report of the Town of Farmington N.H. reported the following WPA flood recovery projects: The year started out most discouragingly with the disastrous floods of March 12th and 19th, 1936. An idea of the damage done at that time may be had from the following figures covering the cost of repairs. Using figures furnished us by the State Highway Department the net expenditure by the town (1/8 of 1 per cent of our valuation as required by special act of the legislature) was: Town expenditure:  $2,471.64 State expenditure:   $1,488.47 Total:                          $3,960.11 To this should be added W. P. A. payrolls...
  • Flying Yankee Train - Lincoln NH
    The Flying Yankee train was built in 1934-1935 at a cost of $275,000 (about $5.8 million in 2021 dollars). The Public Works Administration (PWA) financed the train’s construction with a loan. The Flying Yankee’s route started in Portland, Maine and ended in Boston, Massachusetts, and it ran from 1935 to 1957 for the Boston & Maine and Maine Central railroads, sometimes under different names, such as “The Business Man.” When it first arrived on the scene it was viewed as a futuristic, technological wonder, with many innovations. It was lightweight, quiet, economic, capable of 100+ mph, and made of stainless steel....
  • Forest Management - Canaan NH
    In 1935 and 1938, the WPA helped with Blister Rust control efforts. Local reports from the time give the following details: 1935 Blister Rust Control FINANCIAL STATEMENT Total cost of work $383.92 Paid by State 83.92 Paid by town $300.00 Area covered 361 acres Currant & gooseberry bushes destroyed 12,546 W.P.A. Federal funds expended $1,019.05 Area covered 1,362 acres. Currant & gooseberry bushes destroyed 35,644 1938 Blister Rust control Town Program: Crew cost (Paid by town) $299.60 Foreman cost (Paid by state) 74.00 Total expended $373.60 Received from town $300.00 Expended from town funds 299.60 Balance due town .40 Area covered (acres) 211 Currant and gooseberry bushes destroyed 59,084 W.P.A. Program: W.P.A. funds expended $1,983.67 Area covered (acres) 1,586 Currant and gooseberry bushes destroyed...
  • Forest Management - Conway NH
    The Work Progress Administration contributed funds for Blister Rust control efforts in the forests of Conway, New Hampshire in 1936. The WPA gave the town $2,382.42, covering 8,162 acres of land and 21,680 current and goosebury bushes destroyed. Twenty men were employed by the project.
  • Forestry Building - Laconia NH
    "The Federal Office Building in Laconia, New Hampshire, was designed by Louis A. Simon, Supervising Architect for the Public Works Branch of the Treasury Department's Procurement Division. Conceived and built during the Depression era as the United States Forestry Building, the cornerstone for the building was laid in 1939, and the building was dedicated soon after in July 1940. The building, authorized under the New Deal's colossal building program, is designed in a stripped Classical Revival style and is representative of one of several styles preferred by government architects in the 1930s."
  • Forestry Building Murals - Laconia NH
    The Treasury Section of Fine Arts funded two oil-on-canvas murals for this building: "Pulpwood Logging," painted by Philip Guston in 1941; and "Wildlife in White Mountains," painted by Musa McKim in 1941.
  • Forestry Work - Farmington NH
    Between 1936 and 1940, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook forestry work in Farmington, New Hampshire, to clear the area of currant and gooseberry bushes. Below is a detailed list of the work undertaken: 1936 WPA funds expended: $2,550.26. Area covered: 2,182 acres. Currant and gooseberry bushes destroyed: 59,743. Number of men employed: 18. 1937 WPA funds expended: $1,188.20 Area covered: 1721 acres Currant and gooseberry bushes destroyed: 62,200 Number of men employed: 8 1938 Area covered: 1545 acres Currant and gooseberry bushes destroyed: 28,216 Number of men employed: 9 1940 WPA funds expended in New Durham, with Farmington labor: $786.96 Area covered: 1,002 acres Currant and gooseberry bushes destroyed: 24,892 Number of local men employed: 7
  • Forestry Work - Haverhill NH
    In 1940, the Works Progress Administration provided funds to support forestry work in Haverhill, NH. Their work contributed to control of White Pine Blister Rust and provided employment for 25 local workers. "WHITE PINE BLISTER RUST CONTROL W. P. A. WORK W. P. A. funds expended $2,609.11 Area covered 993 acres Currant & gooseberry bushes destroyed 33,652 Number of local men employed 25"
  • Fox State Forest - Hillsboro NH
    According to a 1935 report of the New Hampshire Forestry Commission, the New Deal assisted in the initial development of the Caroline A. Fox Research and Demonstration Forest (Fox Forest) which has been the State of New Hampshire’s forest research station since 1933. The forest was a gift to New Hampshire from Miss Caroline Fox of Arlington, Massachusetts. Miss Fox spent her summers on the property and had an interest in forest management issues. Presently the forest contains 1,445 acres, the Henry I. Baldwin Forestry Education Center and a farm house/office. Fox Forest Research Research has been focused in two...
  • General Sullivan Bridge - Dover to Newington NH
    The original General Sullivan Bridge was completed as a P.W.A. project in 1935, designed to carry traffic over the Piscataqua River. Since closed to traffic, the bridge still stands though it has functionally been replaced by two newer spans. Plaque: "U.S. Public Works Project Docket No. 752"
  • Governor Wentworth Historic Site Improvements - Wolfeboro NH
    Governor Wentworth Historic Site is a 96-acre (0.39 km2) protected area in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire. The undeveloped property features a plaque and the stone remains of an extensive northern plantation built just before the outbreak of the American Revolution by New Hampshire's second Royal Governor, John Wentworth. The mansion burned to the ground in 1820. The CCC 117th COMPANY S-53 out of Tamworth NH were involved in the remodeling of a cottage and garage.
  • Hemenway State Forest - Tamworth NH
    "Hemenway State Forest/Big Pines Natural Area Consisting of glacial carved foothills, this state forest includes Great Hill, Duck Pond and the 135-acre Big Pines Natural Area. The park’s many trails provide great hiking, mountain biking, snowmobiling and cross country skiing opportunities. Don’t miss the outstanding view from Great Hill fire tower, -- a short hike from the parking area on Great Hill Road." Camp 10 was once the location of the Hemenway CCC camp #117 built 5/5/1933.
  • Huckins Estate - Ossipee NH
    According to a 1937 CCC Yearbook, the Tamworth NH CCC Camp Co.117 was involved in "complete remodeling of house and barn" at the Huckins Estate. After inquiring with a few local historians, Lois Sweeny of the Ossipee Historical Society located the Estate. Her report back said that "Simon O. Huckins. A walking tour brochure that we are reviving says “This large colonial revival house was the home of Simon O. Huckins, who developed a large logging business, lumber yard and store in Center Ossipee early in the 20th century. Like his neighbors, Huckins was active in church, political and community...
  • Hunt Memorial Building Improvements - Nashua NH
    This building was originally built as a public library in 1903. During the 1930s, New Deal workers significantly improved the building. In 1970, the library moved to Court Street. The Hunt Memorial Building then housed the offices of the Nashua School Department until 1991. Since renovations in 2011, the building has been rented for events. Municipal reports from the 1930s detail New Deal work on the site: In his town summary of 1934, Mayor Lucier wrote: "This has been a year of much needed repairs both inside and outside the building. Here, again, federal aid stepped in and grateful thanks are due the...
1 2 3 4 5