“The Forest Theatre is a stone amphitheater structure built into the hillside on the eastern edge of the UNC-Chapel Hill campus and contiguous with Battle Park. Outdoor drama was first performed on this site in 1916 to celebrate the tercentenary… read more
Constructed in 1937 as the Chapel Hill’s main post office, the historic Franklin Street Station post office was constructed with Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses an example of New Deal artwork, is still in use today.
Chapel Hill’s historic Franklin Street Station Post Office houses an example of New Deal artwork: an oil-on-canvas mural entitled “Laying the Cornerstone of Old East.” Painted by Dean Cornwell, the work was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.