Appalachian State University Development – Boone NC

Appalachian State University, then known as Appalachian State Teachers College (A.S.T.C), was substantially improved and developed as part of infrastructure and building construction projects on the institution’s campus. Numerous New Deal organizations, including the Civil Works Administration (CWA), Federal Emergency… read more

Appalachian State University: Chappell Wilson Hall (old High School) – Boone NC

Appalachian High School, Boone, NC, 1930s

A high school facility for Boone, NC was constructed in 1938 on the campus of what was then known as Appalachian State Teachers College (ASTC)—now Appalachian State University—by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The building, known as Appalachian High School… read more

Appalachian State University: Founders Hall (old Hospital) – Boone NC

Watauga County Hospital

During the Great Depression the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) and Work Projects Administration (WPA) helped to develop and complete the old Watauga County Hospital, whose construction had begun at the beginning of the 1930s. The building is now known… read more

Appalachian State University: Stadium (demolished) – Boone NC

New Boys' Dormitory and Stadium, A.S.T.C.

The Work Projects Administration (WPA) constructed a stadium and athletic field at what was then known as Appalachian State Teachers College (A.S.T.C.). Work was completed in 1939. Per The News and Observer, the college has “a class one field on… read more

Street Improvements – Boone NC

The Civil Works Administration (CWA), Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA), and Works Progress Administration (WPA) each conducted road repair / improvement projects in Boone, North Carolina. As of June 1939 three miles of streets and sidewalks has been “finished in… read more

Watauga County Office Annex – Boone NC

Watauga County Office Building / Annex

The Watauga County Courthouse complex in Boone, North Carolina “includes a Works Projects Administration funded building as part of its annex.” The striking stone building “was completed in 1939 and housed the Watauga County Library from 1946 through 1997.” The… read more