“American Legion Memorial Stadium is 21,000-capacity stadium located on 7th Street in the Elizabeth community of Charlotte, North Carolina. Memorial Stadium is mainly used for high school sporting events and also serves as a public venue. Prior to the construction… read more
B. N. Duke Auditorium at North Carolina Central University in Durham, North Carolina, was constructed as part of a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project during the Great Depression. The building is located on the east side of Fayetteville Road… read more
The federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) constructed a gymnasium at the old high school for the Bain school district in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina (now within the city limits of Mint Hill). The structure, whose exact location is unknown to… read more
The Bald Creek Elementary School and accompanying gym were constructed in 1938 with the assistance of the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA).
The federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) constructed a gymnasium at the old high school for the Berryhill school district in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina (now within the city limits of Charlotte). The structure, whose exact location is unknown to Living… read more
Originally constructed as the Lumberton City Armory-Auditorium, what is now the Bill Sapp Recreation Center was constructed by the federal Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.). Postcard: “The Lumberton City Armory-Auditorium is one of the most handsome and best equipped buildings of… read more
The stone wall at Brevard College in Brevard, North Carolina, was erected by the Works Progress Administration in 1936-37. Portions run along French Broad Avenue and North Broad Street. At the intersection of the streets, the walls are connected with… read more
The CCC began working along Cape Hatteras National Seashore in 1934 (this was actually three years before it was officially named “Cape Hatteras National Seashore”). The first CCC boys on this project were based out of Manteo, North Carolina, Camp… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) “planted thousands of loblolly pine seedlings” (The Natural Traveler) in the Croatan National Forest, established in 1936.
Numerous municipal improvement projects were undertaken in Lenoir, North Carolina as part of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) projects during the 1930s. One project involved improving the city’s fire alarm system. Exact details are unknown to Living New Deal. The… read more
“The Forest Theatre is a stone amphitheater structure built into the hillside on the eastern edge of the UNC-Chapel Hill campus and contiguous with Battle Park. Outdoor drama was first performed on this site in 1916 to celebrate the tercentenary… read more
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) spent nearly eighteen hundred dollars building and remodeling privies at white and African American schools throughout the county in the 1930s. The local government contributed a portion of the nineteen hundred dollars it cost when… read more
Constructed in 1937 as the Chapel Hill’s main post office, the historic Franklin Street Station post office was constructed with Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses an example of New Deal artwork, is still in use today.
Chapel Hill’s historic Franklin Street Station Post Office houses an example of New Deal artwork: an oil-on-canvas mural entitled “Laying the Cornerstone of Old East.” Painted by Dean Cornwell, the work was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts.
The Graham County Courthouse was constructed as a WPA project between 1940 and 1942. According to the National Register of Historic Places, it was designed by the Knoxville architecture firm of Barber and McMurry, and built with stone quarried from… read more