Municipal Auditorium/City Armory/Gymnasium – McComb MS
McComb’s municipal auditorium/city armory/gymnasium on Virginia Avenue served as the armory for Company L, 155th infantry from 1938-1940 (MDAH/Historic Resources Inventory). Constructed by the Work Progress Administration between 1936-1938, the facility was destroyed by fire in 1952. Work on the… read more
Municipal Water System Pumping Station – Nettleton MS
The Municipal Water System Pumping Station is located at the corner of E. Main (MS 6) and Elliott Avenue at 34.089206, -88.621181. The small brick building is marked with a Public Works Administration dedication plaque. Concrete holding tanks remain at… read more
Murphy-Slater Ferry Highway – Washington County MS
Public Works Administration project 1307 was awarded to Washington County following approval 2/21/1934. A loan in the amount of $400,000 and a grant of $161,149 enabled the construction a number of gravel roads throughout the county. Bids were advertised in… read more
Natchez Trace Parkway – Natchez MS
The 445-mile parkway follows the general path of the old Natchez Trace, originally a footpath for Native American Choctaw and Chickasaw (Littman). The parkway runs from Natchez, Mississippi, across the northeast corner of Alabama, and into Tennessee. The Northern Terminus… read more
Natchez-Vidalia Bridge and Toll Plaza – Natchez MS
A cantilevered Warren through truss bridge spanning the Mississippi River on US Highway 84 connects Natchez, Mississippi with Vidalia, Louisiana. Mississippi’s project # 1126 opened to traffic on September 26, 1940 after two years of construction (Mississippi Department of Archives… read more
National Guard Armory (demolished) – Cleveland MS
The WPA-built Art Moderne style armory adjacent to Delta State Teachers College (now Delta State University) provided facilities beginning in 1946 for one of the earliest guidance centers. Delta State later acquired the armory building and it served as an… read more
National Guard Armory (former) – Aberdeen MS
This 2-story Art Moderne building was constructed by the WPA in 1938, and from 1939 to 1940 served as the armory for Company G, 155th Infantry. It is currently used to house the City Parks and Recreation Department.
National Guard Armory (former) – Amory MS
The Works Progress Administration financed the construction of a national guard armory and rifle range for Amory. Architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town designed the building, “expected to exceed $56,000 and take 12 months” (Daily Clarion-Ledger, Oct. 6,… read more
National Guard Armory (former) – Greenwood MS
The National Guard Armory in Greenwood, Mississippi was built by the federal Work Projects Administration (WPA) with the City of Greenwood and Leflore County as sponsors. Began in 1939, the building was completed in 1940, with the facility dedicated March… read more
Negro School Building (demolished) – Oxford MS
PWA Docket No. Miss. 1245-F approved construction of a school building in the city of Oxford to house Oxford’s “Negro Elementary and High School.” The building is no longer extant.
Neshoba County Library (former) – Philadelphia MS
The rustic log cabin was the first library built in Philadelphia, Mississippi, although the library had been established several years earlier in space in two other buildings. It was a community effort spearheaded by the Twentieth Century Club. The WPA… read more
Newton County Jail (former) – Decatur MS
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) added a jail to the existing Newton County courthouse in Decatur, Mississippi during the Great Depression as a part of a temporary job creation program under the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA). It was demolished… read more
North Central Ward School – Gulfport MS
One of two new schools built with Public Works Administration (PWA) funds, the two schools combined were constructed for about $205,500, with PWA providing 45% of the funds (New Schools to be Opened Tonight, 1937). The school contained an auditorium… read more
Noxubee County Health Office (former) – Macon MS
The Colonial Revival building that served as the county health office was constructed in 1939-40 by the WPA. Part of the Macon Historic District, it currently is used as the county justice court (Barrow, 2001).
Oakhurst and Elizabeth Dorr Schools Arcade Sidewalks – Clarksdale MS
At a cost of approximately $6,000, “…an extensive arcade system of walkways” was completed at the two schools in Clarksdale (Arcade sidewalks, p. 1).
Old Capitol Museum – Jackson MS
The former state capitol was one of 20 state institution renovations completed in 1934. In August, funds were approved in the amount of $200,000 by Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) and supplemented with a $200,000 allocation by the Mississippi legislature…. read more
Oxford Elementary School (former) Improvements – Oxford MS
PWA Docket Mississippi # 1219 DS approved additions and alterations to the Oxford Grammar/Elementary School. The school has since been demolished.
Oxford Municipal Airport (former) – Oxford MS
The Oxford Municipal Airport was constructed in the 1930s, most likely in 1937 which is the first time it appeared in the Airport Directory, which also indicated construction was under way on an additional runway. It is unclear from available… read more
Oyster Planting Project – Biloxi MS
The oyster project was completed at an expenditure of $67,270.94 for bedding of 2,678 acres of oyster reefs with shells. The sponsor’s contribution was $4,683.18 and the Works Projects Administration funds $62,587.76. The project was approved 1935 to support the… read more
Pace Consolidated School Gymnasium – Pace MS
The Public Works Administration (PWA) project W1067 was “to build, equip school addition” (PWA Projects, 1935, p. 10), an Art Deco gymnasium for the Pace Consolidated School. The project received a $20,000 loan and a $16,515 grant and was approved on September… read more
Pascagoula High School (former) – Pascagoula MS
PWA project W1263 was initiated February 1937 and approved for a loan of $100,000 and grant of $81,818 August 12, 1937. Bids were advertised November 6, 1937 and construction begun December 20. The Art Moderne style building was designed by… read more
Pearl River Community College: Hancock Hall Vocational Building – Poplarville MS
NYA boys on the Pearl River Junior College campus erected a vocational building, while the girls worked in home economics. Hancock Hall was completed 1938 by the National Youth Administration. The architect was Robert William Naef. The building was destroyed… read more
Peoples Consolidated School – Ripley MS
Public Works Administration (PWA) project 1254 was for the Peoples Consolidated School. A loan in the amount of $1550 and grant for $4745 was approved 8/12/1937. Construction began 12/14/1937 and was completed 5/31/1938 for a total cost of $10,952.
Percy Quin State Park – McComb MS
Percy Quin State Park was cleared and constructed by the members of the camp at Percy Quin, established August 16, 1935 (CCC Legacy). The park opened in 1939 after 4 years of construction, and was the 9th of 10 state… read more
Pontotoc Teacher’s House – Pontotoc MS
The stone veneer teacher’s house was constructed as W. P. 5288, Application #678, Pontotoc High School Teachers Home. The rock for the Colonial Revival style house was quarried from nearby Tishomingo County, at the NYA quarry. The house is currently… read more
Pontotoc Teacher’s House # 2 – Pontotoc MS
The wood siding teacher’s house #2 was built next door to the stone veneer teacher’s house #1 for Pontotoc High School. According to the Series 2018-National Youth Administration Work Projects Photograph Album, 1937-1939, the house was constructed by WPA, and… read more
Post Office – Amory MS
Post office built in 1936 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Post Office – Carthage MS
The historic post office in Carthage, Mississippi was completed in 1940 with funds provided by the Treasury Department. It is also the site of Peter Dalton’s 1941 wood carving, “Lumbermen Rolling a Log,” completed with funds provided by the Treasury Section… read more
Post Office – Charleston MS
The historic post office building in Charleston, Mississippi was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the Great Depression. Completed in 1939, it is still in use today.
Post Office – Columbus MS
The historic New Deal post office in Columbus, Mississippi was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses an example of New Deal artwork, was built ca. 1939 and is still in use today.
Post Office – Crystal Springs MS
The Crystal Springs post office building was built in 1940-41 by the US Treasury Department in the Colonial Revival style. Features include twin wooden Tuscan columns on either side of the front doors, wooden vestibule, terrazzo floor, and marble wainscoting.
Post Office – Durant MS
The Colonial Revival style post office building was completed in 1939 by the Treasury Department.
Post Office – Eupora MS
The post office in Eupora was completed in 1941 with funds provided by the Treasury Department. It is also the site of Thomas Savage’s 1945 mural, “Cotton Farm,” completed in 1945 with funds provided by the Treasury Section of Fine… read more
Post Office – Forest MS
The historic post office in Forest, Mississippi was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds in 1938. The building, which houses an example of New Deal artwork, is still in use today.
Post Office – Hazlehurst MS
Hazlehurst’s Colonial Revival style post office is similar to many of the New Deal post offices constructed in Mississippi. The builder, Blair, Algernon Construction Company, was responsible for a large number of Mississippi post offices during that time. The building… read more
Post Office – Houston MS
Colonial Revival style; 1 story, red-brick building with cupola. Funded by the Public Building Administration of the Federal Works Agency.
Post Office – Indianola MS
This one-story Art Moderne style post office was built in 1935. It originally contained a New Deal mural, “White Gold in the Delta.” The mural was destroyed in the 1960s.
Post Office – Leland MS
The one-story, buff-colored brick Colonial Revival post office has granite steps, cast-iron railings, a wide limestone frieze, and wooden cornice. It is topped by an octagonal wooden cupola with louvered minor sides. It was one of 32 post offices constructed… read more
Post Office – Lexington MS
The historic post office building in Lexington, Mississippi was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the Great Depression. The one-story, flat-roofed building remains in use as the post office today.