1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
  • High School - Walnut MS
    Tippah County school at Walnut, received a $9800 loan and$6216 grant from Public Works Administration project 2713 for construction of a new school building after the old one burned in March 1933. The project was approved December 26, 1933. Construction started June 16, 1934 and was completed September 18, 1934. The architect was Walter R. Nelson of Memphis. The one-story red brick-veneered building in Colonial Revival style remains in use as the high school. An addition to the rear elevation was added in 1949.
  • High School (former) - Booneville MS
    The Booneville High School was damaged by the Tupelo tornado in 1936 and subsequently demolished. Stevens & Johnson designed a new building to be constructed on the old site on Fourth Street. R. B. Wall, Mississippi WPA deputy administrator announced the new Booneville High School building was the 118th WPA school construction project. The new $90,000 buff-colored brick building was dedicated in September 1938. The building was sold in 1993 following the construction of a new high school, and is used as a senior care facility.
  • High School (former) Additions - Canton MS
    Public Works Project Mississippi 110 enlarged the Canton High School. The addition added a gymnasium with stadium seating, 11 classrooms, library, study hall, dark room, music room and recital hall, club room, clinic, principal's office, restrooms, athletic director's office, janitorial and storage rooms (Mansell, 1998). The building has not been used for education purposes since 1969.
  • High School Athletic Field Improvements - Greenville MS
    The city of Greenville sponsored the Works Progress Administration project to improve the high school athletic field. The field was graded and bleachers added with a capacity to seat 2,000. The cost of the project was $2,122 and employed fifteen men. The field is not extant.
  • High School Athletic Field Improvements - Natchez MS
    An application for the erection of a stadium grandstand at the Natchez High School was submitted September 7, 1935 to the Brookhaven WPA office. City bonds were used in addition to WPA labor to construct the grandstand on the west side of the football field, completed in summer of 1936. It accommodated 900 spectators. A new high school was constructed in 1963, however old high school field remained in use for a period of time afterwards. The stadium has since been demolished.
  • High School Improvements - Yazoo City MS
    Yazoo City's 1917 high school was renovated and a new annex built in 1938-1939 with funding from PWA. A grant of $46,227 was provided toward a total cost of $159,427. At 84% completion, the cost was $89,831. The project was approved as PWA x1322 9/7/1938 and construction began 12/9/1938. It was completed 11/20/1939. The annex addition added a gymnasium, dressing rooms, 600 spectator seats, ten new classrooms including a band room, industrial arts workshop, and home economics department. Renovations to the old building included converting the gymnasium into an auditorium with the addition of a stage and sloping floor, converting...
  • High School Improvements (demolished) - Magnolia MS
    The Works Progess Administration (WPA) renovated the old Magnolia High School (built in 1908) in 1938. This followed a lively debate over whether to upgrade or replace the old high school. A new high school had been approved in 1936 following condemnation of the old building by the Mississippi State Department of Education and the Public Works Administration (PWA) offered to fund a new school (as PWA project W1264). Community controversy broke out, however, over whether a new building should be erected or the old one repaired. As a result, a bond measure for the local matching funds for a new...
  • High School Park Homes - Lake Charles LA
    High School Park Homes was one of two public housing projects completed in Lake Charles in 1939. High School Park was 73 dwellings constructed by Robert Angelle for $225,556. The brick duplexes were designed by architects G. Lewis Dunn and Gustave G. Quinn.
  • Highland School Auditorium Annex (demolished) - Meridian MS
    The auditorium annex to the Highland School, originally constructed in 1907, was completed by the WPA in 1936. It was destroyed in 1986.
  • Highway Village - Meridian MS
    Highway Village was built as white public housing. Construction began in December 1939 and was completed January 1941 using United States Housing Authority funding. The triplex units are still extant.
  • Hinds Community College: Central Dormitory - Raymond MS
    PWA project W1183 constructed a boys’ dormitory and boys’ gymnasium for the Hinds County Junior College in 1938. A grant for $151,986 was approved June 22, 1938 toward the total cost of $322,153. Construction started November 14, 1938 and was completed December 4, 1939. The architect was James Manly Spain and the builder/contractor Newton & Schmoll for the Stripped Classic/Colonial Revival dormitory. The brick dormitory contained 43 rooms and an apartment for the dormitory manager. The dormitory is not extant.
  • Hinds Community College: Denton Gymnasium - Raymond MS
    Public Works Administration project W1183 constructed a boys’ dormitory and boys’ gymnasium. A grant for $151,986 was approved June 22, 1938 toward the total cost of $322,153. Construction started November 14, 1938 and was completed December 4, 1939. The Denton Gymnasium is a Stripped Classic, two-story brick designed by architect James Manly Spain and constructed by builder/contractor Newton & Schmoll. The first floor contained locker rooms, club room, supply room, visitors quarters, office, first aid, showers and dressing rooms. The gymnasium with a seating capacity for 700 people was located on the second floor. It remains in use.
  • Hollandale-Yerger (Darlove) Road - Washington County MS
    Public Works Administration project 1307 for completion of gravel roads, bridges, and drainage was approved for Washington County 2/21/1934. A loan in the amount of $400,000 and a grant for $161,149 funded construction of 8.503 miles of the road between Hollandale and Yerger (now named Darlove), as well as between Murphy and Slater's Ferry, and between Winterville and Priscilla. George Vizant was chief engineer of the Washington County Highway Commission, and Barber Brothers of Baton Rouge, LA were contractors. Construction began October 17, 1934 and was completed by August 31, 1937.
  • Holly Springs National Forest - Tupelo MS
    "Before the HSNF was established, much of the land was abandoned farmland with rapidly eroding soils. These rolling hills are now covered with loblolly and shortleaf pines, and upland hardwoods. The Civilian Conservation Corps used loblolly pine because it was easy to plant, was suitable for the depleted soils of the north central hills, and cast a large load of needles to help prevent further erosion."
  • Holmes County Jail - Lexington MS
    The Art Moderne jail was constructed in 1936 as Public Works Administration (PWA) project #1019 (Baughn). The estimated cost was $24,528, $10,000 of which was funded by the PWA (New correctional facility). The building no longer serves as the county jail after a new facility was erected in 1999-2000.
  • Holmes County State Park - Durant MS
    Six rustic style cabins, park landscape, park manager’s residence, lodge, pavilion, and a 525 foot dam forming a 12-acre lake were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps Company 4429 between 1935-1939. Construction utilized cypress timber from the Big Black river swamps. Architect was B. W. Martin. Holmes County park opened in summer of 1939, off highway 51 five miles south of Durant. It comprised 460 acres, although only about 20 acres hold the majority of CCC resources. During January and February 1936, Park Service and the Emergency Conservation Works filmed a motion picture to show the work being done in...
  • Homochitto National Forest - Meadville MS
    "Homochitto National Forest is a U.S. National Forest in southwestern Mississippi comprising 191,839 acres (776.34 km2). In the mid-1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) began reforestation of the area and developing a system of roadways and recreational areas."
  • Hospital - Cleveland MS
    Architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town designed the new Cleveland Hospital, constructed 1938-1939 with assistance from Works Progress Administration funds. The new hospital could serve 32 patients, and housed nurses' quarters and contained "the most modern equipment" (Solicit funds, p. 8). WPA allotted $3,190 in funds toward the completion cost of $55,000 sponsored by the city of Cleveland. A portion of the hospital was renovated in 1991 as part of the new Delta State School of Nursing. The remainder was demolished 1995.
  • Hospital Annex (former) - Greenwood MS
    A 2-story rear annex was constructed for the Greenwood Leflore Hospital as project W1134. A $15,827 grant was awarded Dec. 14, 1935 toward an estimated cost of $35,171. Construction began Feb. 2, 1936 and was completed Sep. 3, 1936. Construction was by M. T. Reed Construction of Belzoni and R. J. Moor was architect.
  • Howard No. 2 School Improvements - Biloxi MS
    Howard No. 2 School, WP-50 was started Sept 25, 1935 and completed March 4, 1936. The project expended $2924.25 federal funds, $1100 sponsor funds. Workers included 20 laborers, 3 carpenters, 3 painters, 2 plasterers, a brickmason, timekeeper and superintendent. The project included the addition of three new rooms to the 1928 school, painting all outside windows, doors, sashes and exterior brickwork. Interior work included plastering, painting inside window stools and baseboards, flooring, and installation of radiators. Repairs to the cafeteria were made and the playgrounds were improved. The building is no longer extant, having burned in early 2000s.
  • Hurley School Administration Building - Hurley MS
    The 1937-38 ART Moderne administration building for Hurley School was Public Works Administration project 1247. The town received a loan for $16,500 and a grant for $13, 167, approved 8/12/1937. The contract was awarded 11/23/1937, construction started 12/15/1937 and completed 8/29/1938. the architect was Vinson B. Smith, Jr.
  • Industrial and Training School - Columbia MS
    The Industrial and Training School in Columbia housed juvenile offenders from the early 1900s through 2008 when it was closed. Begun in March 1934, the state legislature appropriated $200,000 to supplement CWA funds for building repairs on Mississippi institutions. Work was delayed due to delay in the CWA funds. Approval was eventually received to use ERA funds. The largest expenditure was for the Industrial and Training School at Columbia, where $49,783.98 was spent on buildings and grounds improvement. Work included rebuilding the water supply system, new reservoir, repair and painting of water tank. Repairs were completed on Franklin Hall and...
  • Jackson Zoo - Jackson MS
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed buildings at the Jackson Zoological park in Mississippi. Several newer buildings are attributed to the WPA by some sources; however, the only ones documented WPA structures are the zoo's former rhinoceros house, old concession stand, and old restrooms.
  • Jail - Prentiss MS
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) approved an allotment of $18,317 for a new jail and office building for Prentiss and Jefferson Davis County December 1938. The WPA project employed 25-30 men. The new jail adjoined the courthouse and was a two-story concrete and steel building 32 by 53 feet. The first floor included five offices, vault, juvenile cell, and rest rooms. The second floor was for the jury dormitory, cells, and a “death cell.” Bids for materials for construction of the new jail building were advertised in August 1939. By January, the jail was in process of rebuilding. The jail...
  • Jail (Former) - Fayette MS
    The Mississippi state legislature approved Sb231 authorizing Jefferson County to issue $20,000 bonds for the construction of a new jail. President Roosevelt signed approval for Works Progress Administration project No. 50,036 September 26, 1940 for $23,775 to construction the jail. It is extant but not in use.
  • James H. Eason Field - Newton MS
    Newton, Mississippi's James H. Eason Field, formerly known as O'Keefe Airport, was dedicated November 12, 1934. O'Keefe was instrumental, as a federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) employee, in bringing several CWA-funded airports to Mississippi. The then-cost of the project was $12,000.
  • James O. Eastland Federal Building (former) - Jackson MS
    The James O. Eastland federal post office and courthouse was constructed in 1933-34. It is a "five-story, limestone, Art Deco interpretation of a classical building" (www.gsa.gov). A new courthouse recently replaced this one, and the Eastland building is now privately owned.
  • James O. Eastland Federal Building (former) Mural - Jackson MS
    Now privately owned, the James O. Eastland federal post office and courthouse was constructed in 1933-34. The building contains a controversial New Deal mural painted in 1938 by Simka Simkovitch titled "Pursuit of Life in Mississippi." After being covered up for decades, the mural was rediscovered in 2011. The mural "shows African-Americans picking cotton and playing the banjo alongside a white family... The mural, which is in the main courtroom on the fourth floor, had been hidden behind a curtain since the 1960s when the first African-American judge appointed to the federal court in Mississippi ordered it to be covered, historians said. The...
  • Jeff Davis Vocational Building - Water Valley MS
    The rock veneer building was constructed in 1938 by the NYA. The building, in a state of deterioration, appears to be used as storage and privately owned, with restricted access.
  • Jefferson Davis County Courthouse Improvements - Prentiss MS
    WPA project 41146 approved $19,859 for "new construction, enlargement, alteration, and improvement of the building, including addition of paintings, installing of plumbing and electric facilities and other operating equipments and appurtenances to perform incidental and appurtenant work" (Half Million, 1940, p. 15). Smith and Norwood were selected to construct a "complete modernization program of the Jeff Davis county courthouse"(To Remodel, 1940, p. 6) with construction beginning May 1940.
  • Jones College: Vocational Building - Ellisville MS
    Work was begun on the vocational building for the Jones County Agricultural High School and Junior College campus in February 1936. The building was a one story, 124 x 155 feet building constructed of concrete, glass, steel and wood, costing approximately $32,000, and employing 75 workers. Supervising architect was T. R. Hearon. The new building was dedicated at Homecoming, November 1936. The status of the building is unknown, but does not appear to be extant on maps.
  • Kennard-Washington Hall - Hattiesburg MS
    The University of Southern Mississippi's library, now known as Kennard-Washington Hall and serving as administrative offices, was constructed as PWA project x1370. The Georgian Revival style building was approved in September 1938 and construction began 12/19/1938. A grant of $38,863 was received toward the total cost of $86,363. Construction was completed November 10, 1939. "The two-story brick building has a hipped roof with a balustraded widow's walk, and was originally cross-shaped, but the northeast quadrant was infilled with a one-story brick addition" (Gatlin, 2010, p. .18). The interior features a two-story rotunda with dome, supported by columns. The building is...
  • Kingston School (Improvements) - Laurel MS
    A Works Progress Administration (WPA) allotment for $22,000 was approved for two school projects in Laurel in 1940. The Kingston School for African American students shared funds with Laurel High School and Wisner George S. Gardiner High School to improve buildings, grounds and facilities. Kingston School included work on porches, fire escape, and grounds. The school is no longer extant.
  • L. C. Hatcher Elementary School - Lucedale MS
    The one-story Art Deco school building currently used as the elementary school was constructed as Public Works Administration project 4789 as the new high school in Lucedale. The project was approved 3/7/1934 for a loan of $30,500 and grant of $10,295. Construction began 6/26/1934 and was completed 2/8/1935 for a total of $40,902.
  • Lake - Gitano MS
    A chain of lakes for the hill counties of Mississippi was proposed in 1936 by Si Corley, director of conservation of the State Game and Fish commission. Funds from the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in concert with the sponsorship of the Game and Fish commission began the construction of a series of lakes adjacent to cities in the hill counties including a small artificial lake near Gitano. Exact location is unknown.
  • Lake - Pelahatchie MS
    A chain of lakes for the hill counties of Mississippi was proposed in 1936 by Si Corley, director of conservation of the State Game and Fish commission. Funds from the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in concert with the sponsorship of the Game and Fish commission began the construction of a series of lakes adjacent to a number of hill county cities including at Pelahatchie. Corley pointed out that in addition to providing sites for outdoor sports, when fully stocked, the lakes could produce 2,000 pounds of fish per acre each year. In addition, they would be migratory bird sanctuaries. The...
  • Lake - Raymond MS
    A chain of lakes for the hill counties of Mississippi was proposed in 1936 by Si Corley, director of conservation of the State Game and Fish commission. Funds from the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in concert with the sponsorship of the Game and Fish commission began the construction of a series of lakes adjacent to several hill county cities including Raymond. WPA workers constructed the lake about one mile from Raymond. Corley pointed out that in addition to providing sites for outdoor sports, when fully stocked, the lakes could produce 2,000 pounds of fish per acre each year. In addition,...
  • Lake Bogue Homa - Laurel MS
    Mississippi State Game and Fish Commission sponsored the Works Progress Administration to create a number of lakes for recreation purposes. Near Laurel, Lake Gates was approximately 1500 acres, fed by the Boguehoma Creek. The project began in 1936, and was completed in 1939. At some point by 1947, the name had been changed to Lake Bogue Homa. The lake remains an active fishing location and has been improved over the years.
  • Lake Byron (University of Southern Mississippi) - Hattiesburg MS
    Lake Byron was the 1934 gift from the Senior class to then named State Teachers College. It was named for Byron E. Green, Forrest County Board of Supervisors, who secured WPA relief funding to finance construction. The lake was planned as a state fish preserve, and completed April 1934. The lake and bridge were damaged in the 2013 tornado that struck Hattiesburg. The renovations enlarged the lake, and the historic bridge was reconstructed for compliance with ADA, with assistance from the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
  • Lake Tangipahoa - McComb MS
    Preliminary work on one of the largest earth dams to be constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees in the south began with the clearing of the site for a 540-acre lake along the Tangipahoa river. Excavation began July 1, with work on the dam construction planned for mid July. Plans called for a barrier of 100,000 cubic yards of earth, spillway 300 feet wide and 800 feet long. The work was on Highway 48, five miles southwest of McComb. Engineer was George Long supervising the local crew of the Civilian Conservation Corp enrollees. Lake Tangipahoa was adjacent to the...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13