1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
  • Franklin Academy Elementary School - Columbus MS
    The Franklin Academy Elementary School was constructed on the site of the state's oldest public school, Franklin Academy. PWA project x1306 approved a grant of $117,000 9/26/1938. Construction began 12/1/1938 and was completed 12/1/1939 for a total cost of $260,154. Architect R. W. Naef designed the 2 1/2 story brick Colonial Revival building constructed by Daniel Construction Company. The building featured a "two-story pedimented portico supported on continuious Tuscan columns, rusticated brick quoins, and square central tower with octagonal cupola" (P'Pool, 1979, p. 17). The building remains in use as a school.
  • Fraternity and Sorority Houses (former) - University MS
    The University of Mississippi made application to the Public Works Administration September 7, 1935 for grants to help construct five fraternity houses and two sorority houses. Funds in the amount of $2,000 for each structure were requested from PWA, and the university would fund the remaining $3,000 per building.The university requested $45,454 for fraternity and sorority houses according to a separate Clarion-Ledger article.Architects began drawing up plans for the first of ten sorority and fraternity houses, and the establishment of “fraternity row” after being notified funds had been obtained reported architect E. L. Malvaney. Work was ordered to begin on...
  • Gas Mains - Canton MS
    Gas mains were installed and lines extended with PWA project 3708. Construction started Oct. 30, 1934 and was completed Jul. 30, 1935 for a total cost of $185,243.
  • George S. Gardiner High School (improvements) - Laurel MS
    Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds in the amount of $13,676 were approved for the Laurel Municipal school district to improve buildings, grounds and facilities at the George S. Gardiner High School and Kingston School. The work at Gardiner was for grounds improvements and reconditioning of the track and football practice areas for the 1922 school.
  • Glendale School - Glen MS
    Public Works Administration project 1083 funded the construction of the Glendale School in Alcorn County Mississippi. A loan of $8,500 and grant of $6,954 was approved 9/25/1935. Construction started 2/10/1936 and was completed 1/18/1937 for a total of $15,581. The newspaper accounts identify approval for a school building and annex.
  • Governor's Mansion Improvements - Jackson MS
    Governor’s Mansion, constructed 1839-1842 in Greek Revival style, was “redecorated” in 1935. Architect Albert hays Town was involved in the “work with the interior and exterior getting a thorough going-over with repairs and redecorations. Some alterations were made to the interior, the roof repaired, electric wiring renewed and floors refinished” (Improvements completed, 1935, p. 5). The total expenditure was $9,813. The family of the governor was moved from one suite of rooms to another as rooms were renovated one-by-one. Lena Brock supervised the renovation job, and as part of the process, secured a pre-Civil War table c.1840 for use in...
  • Grammar School - Fulton MS
    The Fulton Grammar School was completed in 1940 with a WPA grant, following the loss of the old grammar school by fire in April. The one story brick school was designed by architect J. B. Lawson. Containing 19 rooms, the school housed a library, music room, kindergarten, office, and a 550-seat auditorium. WPA provided funds between $48,008-$74,590. The school closed in 1999, was named a Mississippi Landmark in 2001 and received grant money in the amount of $168,000 from the Mississippi Arts Commission and $75,000 from the Community Heritage Preservation foundation for renovations. It is currently in used by the...
  • Grammar School - Itta Bena MS
    The Itta Bena Grammar School is a one-story brick, five course common bond building in a standard T-shape constructed 1940 by the National Youth Administration, designed by architect Robert James Moor. It remains in use as of 2018. Itta Bena citizens met in May 1939 to discuss the proposed new elementary school building, and by September, the old building was facing demolition. The National Youth Administration covered the cost of labor for the school building. The $45,000 grammar school building was dedicated February 24, 1941, with an approximate cost of $25,000 to Itta Bena. The dedication ceremony, held in the...
  • Greenwood High School - Greenwood MS
    The Greenwood high school for African American students was located in what was known as the Stone Street School complex. The building finishes included both marblework and mosaic (MDAH). The architect of record was Robert James Moor. Moor received the Public Works Administration (PWA) work order on February 1, 1936 and work began on February 10th. Construction was executed by J. R. Flint Construction and J. D. Lanham received the contract for plumbing, heating, and wiring. The project was funded by a PWA grant following fire damage to the former high school building, which burned in 1934. The project included an auditorium and...
  • Gymnasium - Carriere MS
    Pearl River County Central Elementary complex, formerly the McNeill community school, includes the 1940 WPA constructed gymnasium. The gymnasium is a Mississippi state landmark.
  • Gymnasium - Cleveland MS
    The gymnasium was constructed 1938-1939 as Public Works Administration project W1232. Architect E. L. Malvaney designed the gymnasium with a seating capacity of 1000, offices for athletic officials, dressing rooms, and a band hall on the second floor. It was converted to use as the Girls' gymnasium when a new one was constructed 1946 for boys. A grant of $16,930 was provided toward the total cost of $37,827. The project was approved 6/22/38, started 9/33/38, and completed 4/17/39. The building was demolished July 2019.
  • Gymnasium - Farmhaven MS
    The National Youth Administration project #872 completed demolition and salvage of the Farmhaven gymnasium and built a new gymnasium. The project employed 30 youth at a cost of $1,080.
  • Gymnasium - Kingston MS
    Details were completed in August 1936 for construction of a modern gymnasium for the Kingston High School in Adams County. The building was concrete blocks and 70 feet x 120 feet, constructed by the Works Progress Administration. Kingston was a rural community in the Natchez vicinity, and "badly in need of gymnasiums" (Gymnasium work, 1936, p. 2). The new gymnasium constructed by a WPA crew was "strictly modern and up-to-date" (Gymnasium work, p. 2). The school burned October 2016 and no buildings are extant.
  • Gymnasium - Shelby MS
    This two-story gym, Miss. Proj. 1144D, was constructed by the PWA in 1939. The gym remains in use.
  • Gymnasium - Tunica MS
    L. L. Burnsed, supervisor for project, announced the new Tunica High School gymnasium would begin construction in November 1940. Tunica County issues bonds for $35,000 and the Works Progress Administration allotted funds for the remainder of the cost. Constructed of concrete with brick veneer, the gymnasium cost $46,000. Hull and Drummond were architects for the one story, brick Classical Revival building with a pedimented tetrastyle portico.
  • Gymnasium - Tutwiler MS
    Works Project Administration project No. 50,348 was approved to construct a gymnasium for the Tutwiler school. The first news item reported $20,690, scheduled to begin May 12, 1940 and employ an average of 60 workers for six months. The announcement releasing the funds following approval showed $10, 768. The Art Moderne concrete gymnasium served 196 students when constructed. When the Tutwiler school closed, the gymnasium was bought by the Baptist Church. It was demolished in January 2018 when the church could no longer afford the upkeep.
  • Gymnasium - Tylertown MS
    The WPA project for the gymnasium/band building for Tylertown High School was approved January 1939 and construction began in February. The monolithic concrete gym was proposed for 120 x 110 feet, with a playing floor of 80 x 50. Each side held bleachers with locker and dressing rooms underneath. The band room was proposed for 40 x 22 and could be converted into a stage by removal of a partition. The use as an auditorium would enable capacity for about two thousand people.
  • Gymnasium - Washington MS
    Details were completed for construction of a modern gymnasium building at Washington High School. It was constructed of concrete blocks, with a size of 70 feet x 120 feet. It was constructed under the Works Progress Administration with a "large crew of workmen given employment" and were billed as "strictly modern and up-to-date" (Gymnasium work, 1936, p. 2). At completion, a "gala celebration" was planned. The gymnasium was slated for completion for the fall start of school. The school is still extant, but the gymnasium appears in maps to have been demolished.
  • Gymnasium (destroyed) - Coxburg MS
    The Coxburg community gymnasium was constructed 1936 by the National Youth Administration. The structure cost approximately $5,000 and was 80 x 100 feet. The gym was destroyed in 1952.
  • Gymnasium (former) - Como MS
    The Como gymnasium, recreation hall, two classrooms, and kitchen were PWA project W1256, approved June 22, 1938. The estimated cost was $22,727 and a $10,227 grant was awarded toward the project. Construction began August 25, 1938, and was completed February 2, 1939, at a final cost of $22,887. Architect was Edgar Lucien Malvaney.
  • Gymnasium (former) - Cross Roads MS
    The Emergency Relief Association funded the construction of a gymnasium for the Cross Roads School and it was under construction in February 1935. The gymnasium is still extant and is used as the Family Life Center by the Cross Roads Baptist Church.
  • Gymnasium (former) - Meridian MS
    The two-story red-brick former gymnasium was constructed by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (later the PWA) in 1936-1937. It retains its original massing and pedimented parapet. It was renovated in 1964 to become a first floor library and second floor science laboratories/classroom space.
  • Gymnasium (former) - Pelahatchie MS
    The Art Moderne gymnasium designed by architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town was completed June 19, 1939. The project was approved as PWA x1310 9/13/1938 for a $15,000 loan and $12,272 grant. Construction began 11/30/1938 and completed for a total cost of $27,500. The building is in use by private enterprise.
  • Gymnasium and Vocational Building - Inverness MS
    A Public Works Administration (W1003) loan ($15,000) and grant ($12,641) were approved August 5, 1935 to construct a gymnasium and three vocational classrooms at the Inverness high school which had been built in 1922. A bond election was held to finance the remainder and the Hattiesburg American reported it was approved in October 1935. Construction began on October 24, 1935 and was completed on April 14, 1936. The school building was sold following federally-ordered integration and was operated as the private Central Delta Academy until it closed in 2010. The church that had owned and operated the private school proceeded...
  • Gymnasium-Auditorium - Carson MS
    The Art Deco structure was completed in summer of 1936 and opened for the school year Sep. 7, 1936. The opening program was held in the newly completed building. “With its additional school rooms as well as its splendid gymnasium and auditorium, it will add much to the efficiency with which the school program can be carried on this year and the years to come” (Carson School slates opening, 1936, p. 9). The gymnasium was PWA project W1013, approved 9/25/1935. Construction started 12/26/1935, and completed 7/8/1936 for a total cost of $27,235. Fire destroyed the unused structure in March 2019.
  • Gymnasium, Athletic Field, and Swimming Pool - Fernwood MS
    The Public Works Administration (project W1154) constructed the gymnasium, athletic field, and swimming pool for the Fernwood school. The project was approved on 11/14/1935 with a loan of $16,000 and grant of $13,090. Bids were advertised in November for the gymnasium construction, swimming pool and bath house, "to be constructed under the old PWA plan" (p.1). Contract was awarded 12/16/1935 and construction began 1/22/1936. The project was completed 9/25/1937.
  • H. M. Nailor School Complex (former) - Cleveland MS
    The Nailor High School was initially known as the Cleveland Consolidated School for African American students. It was designed by architect E. L. Malvaney and approved as WPA No. 50,022 in the fall of 1940. The monolithic concrete building contained two wings of classrooms connected by an auditorium seating 400, with a proposed cost of $63,000. WPA approved $25,394 toward the cost of the new school. "Nailor's poured concrete construction and Art Moderne style is almost unique for black schools of the same period and would have made it one of the finest African American school buildings of its time"...
  • Halls Ferry Bridge - Vicksburg MS
    The Confederate Avenue arch span bridge over Halls Ferry Road was constructed in cooperation with the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Public Works Administration in 1936-1937. It is a single arch constructed of reinforced concrete, and is faced with brick, and is the only extant bridge of its type in Mississippi. The contract for $44,641 was awarded to Coggin and Deermont of Chipley, Florida. Excavation work began in August 1936 for the planned 125' by 45' bridge. The final inspection was made in September 1937.
  • Hancock County Jail - Bay St. Louis MS
    The old county jail was demolished in 1937 and a new jail constructed by the WPA. Steel equipment from the old jail was reused. The new jail was closer to the court building, built at the rear of the courthouse with a "closed bridgelike connection" (Daily Herald, 1937, p. 2) to give passage between jail and court. Architect was Vinson B. Smith, Jr. and the project employed 40 men. County furnished $6,000 of material in-kind and WPA provided $18,384. The facility was completed in 1938.
  • Harris High School (demolished) - Meridian MS
    Harris High School for African Americans was completed in 1938 with PWA funding that also constructed the Meridian High School, gymnasium, and vocational buildings. Harris High School was smaller and less elaborate than Meridian High School, and contained no additional buildings. The site is now occupied by T.J. Harris Upper Elementary School, and while some 1950s buildings remain, all of the PWA buildings have been demolished.
  • Harrison Experimental Forest - Saucier MS
    The camp for Harrison Experimental Forest research was constructed between 1935-1938 in Harrison County. The forestry research complex contained Rustic Style dwellings and offices, including laboratories, two residences--one of which was designed by New Orleans architect Gerhardt Kramer in 1938, cone shed, two garages, equipment shop, machine shop, and warehouse. The cone shed was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, but the remaining buildings are extant and in use. There were two Civilian Conservation Corps camps in the Saucier vicinity. Camps F-10 and F-12 provided the labor for construction, building of roads and bridges to the research complex, and participated...
  • Hattiesburg Homesteads - Hattiesburg MS
    The Hattiesburg Homesteads was one of five "industrial communities" established in Mississippi as part of the Resettlement Administration, and was the smallest project in the state. Twenty four frame clapboard units were built at a cost of $3,152 per unit. Industrial communities were "...established for industrial workers and located in the outskirts of cities and large towns..." (Smith, p. 89).
  • Hawkins Field Terminal Building - Jackson MS
    The terminal building was constructed in 1936 for the Jackson Municipal Airport (then called Davis Field). The airport continued to expand with new runways and other amenities funded by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) until 1941, including use of the field for pilot training during WWII. The terminal building is currently undergoing extensive restoration.
  • Hawkins School Gymnasium - Hattiesburg MS
    The former Hattiesburg High School gymnasium was constructed 1936-1937 on Forrest Street. The two-story brick building in an Art Deco style was designed by architect Juan G. Landry, with construction superintendent Ed Carley and Oden and Glenn local contractors. Construction began the first week in April 1936 for the $30,000 building. It was 176'5" by 117'4", with two practice courts and one exhibition court. Bleachers accommodated 1500, and when converted to an auditorium, held 3500. In addition to stage, dressing rooms, locker rooms, it also contained a lobby with ticket office and refreshment stand. It featured large main doors and...
  • High School - Baldwyn MS
    A WPA allotment of $81,320 was approved for construction of a new high school in Baldwyn, including the installation of a septic tank and sewer lines. The project took 12 months and employed an average of 61 workers. It was completed in fall 1941. The Baldwyn community was hit by a tornado March 17, 1942 and destroyed the new school. WPA in Washington appropriate $10,000 to Mississippi for the relief work in the 12 communities that were impacted by the tornado.
  • High School - Brookhaven MS
    After a fire destroyed the Brookhaven High School in March 1937, the city began making plans for a replacement. In October, the city voted in favor of a $50,000 bond to help finance the new building, combined with insurance of $60,000 and a Works Progress Administration grant of $90,067. R. W. Naef was the architect. The new building had over 30 classrooms, and a total cost of approximately $250,000 and could serve 1500 students. The first class graduated May 1939 after completion of the new school in April.
  • High School - Brooksville MS
    The approval for construction of a concrete school building in Brooksville was announced May 1940. The 1941 design was a one-story Art Moderne with glass blocks and curved entrance. The school was only 2/3 completed in 1942 when Works Progress Administration (WPA) funding was ended. According to Thomas Gentry (Hays Town Architectural Exhibit, 2018) the process of "pour-in-place" concrete construction may have contributed to the delay. Gentry references Mississippi Senator Bilbo's Brooksville School file which contained letters and telegrams related to the project.WPA Supplemental Project No. 41076-Si was filed with an additional $12,000 required from the district. A total of...
  • High School - Bruce MS
    Work Projects Administration approved funding for construction of a new school building in Bruce. The poured-in-place concrete building was designed by E. L. Malvaney in his monolithic concrete trademark, International design, and two stories. The school district pledged $22,072 toward the project that employed approximately 75 men for almost a year. The combined gymnasium and auditorium and classrooms for the Bruce High School cost $60,518 with work scheduled for November 2 construction. A destroyed the front entrance and a portion of the auditorium in the 1970s and that section of the building was rebuilt with brick, in contrast to the...
  • High School - Hazlehurst MS
    The former Hazlehurst grammar school was PWA project W1077. The project was approved 9/25/1935 and completed 11/10/1936 for a total cost of $50,004. PWA supplied a $27,500 loan and a $22,457 grant. The school was enlarged in 1947, and currently serves as the high school. Work on clearing the lot began January 1936. Contractor was J. R. Flint and architect was E. L. Malvaney.
  • High School - Ruleville MS
    Ruleville's 1936 high school was completed as W1006 of the PWA program, with a $33,000 loan and $26,999 grant. The 2-story brick and tile school was approved September 25, 1935, and construction began in December. Architect E. L. Malvaney designed the 160x53 foot building with an 80x60 foot auditorium. It contained 18 classrooms. O. B. Douglass Construction Company received the bid for construction, Paine Heating and Tile plumbing and heating, and Stuart C. Irby Company did the electric wiring. The school was completed in August 1936. A grandstand with seating capacity of 300 and fence around the athletic grounds was finished...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13