1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13
  • Carthage Elementary School (former) - Carthage MS
    The Colonial Revival elementary school was designed by James Manly Spain as Proj. No. Miss. 1233-DS, funded by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. Construction began 12/30/1937 and was completed 9/23/1938. The Public Works provided a grant of $42,924 toward the total estimated cost of $95,454 . The "I" shaped brick featured a 1-story front and a 2-story rear portion, which contains the auditorium. Tuscan columns support the recessed front entrance, which features an arched fanlight above the wood double-leaf wood doors. It was converted to a community center in 2012 and is part of the Carthage Historic District.
  • Catchings Consolidated School Additions - Delta City MS
    A new auditorium/gymnasium was added to the existing Catchings school as PWA project 1288. Architects Hull & Drummond designed the alterations and additions. A $9,000 loan and a $9,163 grant were provided. Approval was received 9/13/1938, and construction began 12/8/1938. The additions were completed 11/2/1939 for a total of $20,386. The name of the town was changed to Delta City sometime during the late 1940s.
  • Central Fire Station - Biloxi MS
    Works Progress Administration (WPA) project No. 3544 started 10/05/1935 included 3 additional fire stations. WPA funding supplied $13,495.01 and the sponsor $9,513.78 for payroll, materials, and equipment. Hook & Ladder, adjacent to L & N Depot, on Main Street. The Central Fire Station construction was begun 04/20/1937 with an expected cost of about $10,000. The formal opening of the new fire station was July 1 when the old Hook and Ladder Company hall was vacated with the final departure of a parade of equipment and personnel to the new station on Main Street. The new station was 46 x 71 feet,...
  • Central High School Auditorium and Gymnasium - Vicksburg MS
    The addition of an auditorium and gymnasium, since demolished, was completed for the 1924 Central High School building, along with improvements to the athletic field and athletic building. Architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town designed the additions in 1936. Public Works Administration project 1148 was approved 7/21/1936 for $34,363 grant. Construction began 12/21/1936 and was completed 11/18/1937 for a total cost of $78,366.
  • Chalk School Auditorium - Meridian MS
    The auditorium for Chalk School was constructed in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration. Architect Penn Jeffries Krouse designed the addition to the school. It has most recently operated as the Calvary Christian School.
  • Chapel Hill Community Clubhouse - Utica MS
    In 1933 a group of women organized the Sunshine Club in Chapel Hill, a community near Utica in Hinds county. They secured the donation of land for a clubhouse, helped clear the grounds area and cut trees for the logs with which to construct the facility. In 1934, a work relief project of the Federal Emergency Relief Administration was approved which included construction of the club room. The club was active in rural health work including sanitary disposal, protecting water supplies, prenatal clinic, and infant/pre-school education conferences through collaboration of the Hinds county health department. The facility was a log...
  • Charity Hospital Improvements - Natchez MS
    A $15,000 improvement project was allotted for Natchez Charity hospital, the oldest charity hospital in Mississippi, for main building and nurses’ home. The hospital was constructed 1849-1852, 3.5 stories, and was destroyed by fire in 1984. It became the Natchez Charity Hospital in 1890s.
  • Charity Hospital Improvements - Vicksburg MS
    $4,600 project was allotted for Vicksburg Charities hospital for main building and nurses’ home renovations in 1934. The building that began as the city hospital in the 1840s because a state institution around 1871, operated from a former plantation mansion. It closed in 1989 following numerous renovations/alterations. It was demolished February 2019.
  • Charlotte Hyatt Elementary School - Moss Point MS
    Moss Point, Mississippi's Charlotte Hyatt Elementary School was constructed during the Great Depression with the assistance of federal funds. The "one-story building with brick and white mortar, cast stone, seven classrooms, an auditorium, a clinic room, an office and a boiler room" (Watson, nd) began construction after approval of Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. Moss Point issued $40,000 in school bonds and PWA provided the remainder of funds.
  • Chocktaw County Courthouse - Ackerman MS
    This historic, two-story Art Deco courthouse has been designated a Mississippi Landmark.
  • Choctaw Renovations - Natchez MS
    "Constructed in 1836 for Joseph Neibert, Choctaw is a transitional Natchez mansion, containing the general Federal style form established by Arlington and Rosalie while blending Greek Revival details."   (misspreservation.com) According to the Historic Natchez Foundation, the WPA worked to renovate Choctaw during the New Deal. Located at the western corner of Wall St. and High St., Choctaw lies on the same block as the city auditorium, another WPA project.
  • Church Street Primary School - Tupelo MS
    The Church Street School is an "ultra-modern" design that has been described as "...one of the best examples of the Moderne style of architecture in Mississippi" (Enzweiler, 1991). The building is constructed of concrete, as were other Moderne schools designed by Overstreet and Town during the mid to late 1930s that were funded by the PWA. The interior features terrazzo floors, round windows, and other Art Moderne influences. The school cost $225,000.
  • City Auditorium - Natchez MS
    The Natchez City Auditorium was Mississippi project # 1350 from the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. The 995-seat arena is headed by a large stage, and is designed in a squared-corner horseshoe, with seats on both sides and the back. The building features "a broad, hexastyle pedimented Doric portico" (Mississippi Department of Archives & History). Community events as well as national tours are scheduled in the auditorium on a regular basis. It underwent renovation in 1999-2000.
  • City Hall - Picayune MS
    The Picayune City Hall was built by the WPA in 1938-39. It was built as an exact replica of an English Manor House. The architect, Wilford Lockyer, who was originally from England, ordered the metalwork, hardware, railings, and banisters from the manufacturer in England and had them shipped to Mississippi (Stockstill). Wilford S. Lockyer was employed by the Federal Government for CWA in 1934, PWA in 1935, and WPA from 1935-1940. City Hall was WPA project 4343, built for a cost of $43,000. The building was renovated and refurbished in 2013.
  • City Hall (former) - Oxford MS
    "James T. Canizaro (1904-1982)... in 1938 designed a small modernist gem in the WPA-sponsored Oxford City Hall (p.107)...a structure that pushed even more courageously toward the brave new world of international modernism" (Hines, 1996, p.108). "Above two round modernist columns supporting the covered first floor entrance porch, the defining motif of the building was a long, thin band of contiguous ribbon windows, curving smartly at the corner in a quintessentially modernist gesture. To the right and on the axis of this key design element was an asymmetrically placed clock of chic modernist design" (Hines, p. 108). The structure was demolished in 1976.
  • City Hall (former)- New Albany MS
    The historic former New Albany City Hall was designed by Mississippi architect E. L. Malvaney, who designed many modernist buildings in the state. The two-story Art Deco style building (with Art Moderne characteristics) is a Mississippi State Landmark. Joan Embree, 1996, described it as "...rectangularly-massed, has a flat roof, concrete entry, walk, and stair to the first level." It was described as "...a monolithic concrete structure by E. L. Malvaney" in the Federal Writers Project. Art Moderne, a late form of Art Deco, was popular during the 1930s and forward. It often made use of concrete, was subdued in color,...
  • City Hall Addition - Oxford MS
    The original Romanesque/Queen Anne style post office and federal building was constructed 1883-1886. A rear wing was added in 1935 under the Office of the Supervising Architect of the Treasury direction. At that time, the building was still a post office and federal building. The building is currently used as Oxford City Hall.
  • City Hall Improvements - Magnolia MS
    Magnolia's City Hall was painted and various repairs and improvements completed with CWA funds of $2,404.23 toward a total cost of $3,427.20. The most significant improvement was replacing a board wall around the jail windows with a brick wall.
  • City Hall Repairs and New Jail Annex - Biloxi MS
    The jail annex and repairs to the city hall including beautifying and landscaping of city streets in addition to the construction of a 35 x 35 one-story jail annex. W. P. No. 1046 was started 02/01/1936 and completed 07/04/1937 for a total cost of $25,913.19 including payroll, material, and equipment. The federal funds provided$22,105.97 and the City of Biloxi as sponsor provided $3,807.22. The city hall repairs included modernization of offices. The landscaping included West Beach improvement and Central Beach Promenade. The building is no longer extant.
  • Civic Center and Armory - Laurel MS
    The Art Deco civic center and armory was Public Works Administration (PWA) project W1206. Designed by Edgar Lucian Malvaney, it was approved 10/24/1036 and completed 11/10/1937. The PWA allotted a grant of $51,226 toward the completion cost of $110,575. A bond sale was held to raise funds for the city's share of the project. The building was demolished in 1975.
  • Clarkco State Park - Quitman MS
    "Clarkco is one of Mississippi's eight original state parks. It was constructed in 1938 by Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1437, which, with other CCC companies, stayed in barracks in a camp along U.S. Hwy 45 within the park. Four of the original cabins and two large picnic shelters built by the CCC men are still in use. Unfortunately the original water tower and lookout tower fell into ruins and were removed... A side trail branches off from the lake circuit trail at the Island Rest Area, leading in 0.8 mile to the site of the CCC camp, which was used between...
  • Clarksdale Civic Auditorium - Clarksdale MS
    The Clarksdale Civic Auditorium was designed by Jackson architect E. L. Malvaney and built as a WPA project in 1939. The auditorium is a 1500 seating capacity designed in the Art Moderne style. A rear addition for the National Guard Armory was added in 1944. The walls are "poured concrete" and the front facade includes a bas relief "above a ribbon of 2/2 horizontal awning metal windows (Wright, Baughn, & Gatline, 2009). The two front entrances (one at each end of the building) are on canted walls, have rounded corners and fluted columns typical of Art Moderne. A band of glass...
  • Classroom Annex - Buckatunna MS
    W. P. No. 5561 for the National Youth Administration constructed a classroom annex in 1938. Mississippi Department of Archives and History identified the building as vocational/home economics building. The Series 2018 National Youth Administration scrapbook identified a photograph for No. 5561 as classroom annex for what appears to read lunch and music, although the caption identified class room and music room.
  • Classroom Annex #1 - Belzoni MS
    Annex 1 was added to the Belzoni school for African American students in 1938. It was constructed by the National Youth Administration. It is currently in use as part of the O. M. McNair Elementary School in Belzoni.
  • Clay Street School Repairs and Alterations - Vicksburg MS
    Public Works Administration project 1337 provided repairs and alterations to both Clay Street School and Carr High School in 1939, along with construction of two new school buildings.
  • Clear Springs Recreation Area - Roxie MS
    Clear Springs Recreation Area lake was constructed between 1935 and 1937 by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The lake retains its original design even though restoration work has been done on wooden shoring and spillway. The picnic pavilion was constructed in rustic style, and is a one-story, T-plan structure of logs. The structure includes a brick fireplace and wooden slab benches. The gazebo is a hexagon shape. The lake is a landscape element after the land was acquired in 1933 for the Homochitto National Forest. State forester was Fred B. Merrill and Supervisor was R. M. Conarro.
  • Clinton Public School Complex (former) - Clinton MS
    Listed among the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects in Mississippi in 1942 was the Clinton School complex (Progress public works in state). "The old elementary building at this campus was built as the last gasp of the Federal Works Agency and maintained its Colonial Revival style and intact auditorium space" (Mississippi Landmarks, 2010). When the school system abandoned the buildings on the site in favor of new construction, they were purchased by Mississippi College, who demolished them in 2013 to construct new residences for student housing (City of Clinton Planning and Zoning Commission, 2013; Mississippi College constructs new residence halls...
  • Collinsville Consolidated School (former) - Collinsville MS
    Collinsville school was Public Works Administration project w1106. Constructed with a $10,000 loan and $8,181 grant, the project was approved 10/24/1936. Construction began 1/11/1937 and was completed 6/12/1937. In a 1999 interview with Collinsville resident Malcolm Moore, Moore reported "CCC boys built the brick school building that stands today" (Harrison, p. 152). The building is in use today as a private industry following further consolidation and close of the school in the 1960s.
  • Columbia High School - Columbia MS
    PWA project 1212 in Mississippi, the two-story, reinforced concrete building "...may be the best early example of the International style in the state and attracted national attention when it opened" (Mississippi Department of Archives and History). It was featured in both Architectural Forum and The New Yorker magazine when it opened (Preziosi, 2008). It is alternatively described as Art Moderne (MDAH).
  • Community House - Carrollton MS
    The community house was constructed 1935-1936 with native pine logs in the rustic style. Superintendent of construction was David Felts, a building and contractor from Carrollton. Extensive restoration was completed in 2001.
  • Community House - Enterprise MS
    Enterprise, Mississippi's rustic-style log community house was constructed c. 1935 by the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). The building features a porch with shed roof and stone chimney.
  • Community House - Eupora MS
    The stone veneer facade, one-story stone and brick Community House was constructed with Work Progress Administration funding in 1938. One room of the Community House was designated for a library in 1966. The first known library in the county was established in the courthouse through the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) during the Great Depression but was in existence only eight months.
  • Community House - Grenada MS
    The Grenada Community House is a Tudor style "stone-veneered building with false-half-timbered gables, very similar to the community house in Pontotoc and Winona" and is part of the Grenada Downtown Historic District (Mississippi Department of Archives and History). "On February 9, 1934, with aid from the WPA Library Project, the official Grenada County Library opened in the upstairs room in a building next to the Grenada Bank. In 1936 the Community House was built on Line Street as a project through WPA. Part of the building became the new home of the library. In 1963 the city of Grenada gave the entire Community...
  • Community House - Pontotoc MS
    The Tudor-style community house was constructed in 1935 by FERA. "A stone-veneered building with false half-timbered gables, very similar to the community houses in Grenada and Winona" (Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resources Inventory database Fact Sheet). The facility is currently available for community activities and is used frequently for committee meetings, weddings, funerals, and other local events. A committee formed in 1999 and was involved in restoration and renovation for a 10-year period (Elkins, 2009).
  • Community House - Teoc MS
    The rustic style log cabin with stone chimney was conjectured to have been built by the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) circa 1935, in the Teoc Community northwest of North Carrollton. WPA and other New Deal agencies built similar community houses in Mississippi in 1935. It was abandoned and collapsing in 1997, and in 2009, only the chimney remained.
  • Community House - Winona MS
    One of 17 community houses constructed in Mississippi during the New Deal, the facility in Winona is still in use and maintained through regular repair, retaining "a high degree of integrity" (Gatlin, 2008). The building is faced with native rock in a Tudor style.. The public library was housed in the building initially, as were many of the libraries opened in Mississippi under the New Deal library projects. The first event held at completion was a "celebration of WPA Project Day, held 'for the purpose of acquainting the public with the accomplishments of the program during its first year' " (WPA...
  • Community House (former) - Carson MS
    The Carson Community House was constructed as National Youth Administration project 5649 in 1939. It is a two story, brick veneer building, currently in use as a Masonic Lodge. It appears to be essentially unaltered, other than sealing of two upper windows. It retains the external double stairs to access the second floor.
  • Community House (Former) - Oxford MS
    The B. and P.W. Club of Oxford, the National Youth Administration and local citizens funded the construction of a community house for the use of Lafayette County. Home Demonstration clubs solicited funds from county communities to assist. The house was proposed to be located on North Lamar street, one block north of the courthouse. W. P. 5160 #896 for Oxford Community House, Lafayette County was constructed of 8 inch stone veneer laid random ashlar. Stone was quarried by NYA and the cypress shingles were cut at the Longview NYA sawmill. It contained a woodwork shop in the basement and was...
  • Consolidated School - Holly Bluff MS
    Architect Edgar Lucian Malvaney designed the Holly Bluff school building, constructed in 1939 as PWA project 1271. It was approved 7/27/1938 and construction began 10/17/1938. It was completed10/12/1939 for a total cost of $57,305 with PWA funding a grant of $25,515. Bonds were issued in the amount of $25,000 for the remainder. Perry Construction Company built the new school, Paine Heating and Tile Company provided heating and plumbing, and Fatheree Electric Company completed the wiring. The building was dedicated and opened to the public October 7, 1939 and final inspection was made later that month by the architect, school supervisors,...
  • Copiah-Lincoln Community College: Athletic Field - Wesson MS
    The Works Progress Administration provided employment for workers to construct an athletic field at the Copiah-Lincoln Junior College.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13