• Dixie Pine Community Center - Hattiesburg MS
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a community center for the Dixie Pine community in 1936. Dixie Pine had 1000 residents and no public building for social activity. The center hosted many dances for the Camp Shelby soldiers through the WPA Recreation Project. The center was in use occasionally as a polling location for elections in 1977 when it was destroyed by fire.
  • Dormitory Improvements - Hattiesburg MS
    The Demonstration School was re-roofed by Gordon Van-Tine Company, and three dormitories were repaired and improved through PWA funds at Mississippi State Teachers College. Oden and Glenn were contractors, making general repairs and installing new toilets and bathroom facilities. Rear porches were screened, tile floors and marble bathroom walls were added to each of the six bath compartments in each of the two bathrooms per floor. The projects were funded for a total of $78,000.
  • East Stadium-Dormitory - Hattiesburg MS
    The East Stadium-Dormitory for what was then known as State Teachers College was completed 1939 with funding from PWA and college revenue bonds. It originally was built as a stadium and the men's dormitory was under the east stand of the stadium. It was project X1314 for a total cost of $140,000. The project was approved September 13, 1938 and completed November 15, 1939. Contractor was B. L. Knost of Pass Christian. The concrete building/stadium was on the east side of the Faulkner athletic field, seating 6,000. The dormitory housed 165 men and opened for move-in November 2, 1939. Mrs....
  • Hattiesburg Homesteads - Hattiesburg MS
    The Hattiesburg Homesteads was one of five "industrial communities" established in Mississippi as part of the Resettlement Administration, and was the smallest project in the state. Twenty four frame clapboard units were built at a cost of $3,152 per unit. Industrial communities were "...established for industrial workers and located in the outskirts of cities and large towns..." (Smith, p. 89).
  • Hawkins School Gymnasium - Hattiesburg MS
    The former Hattiesburg High School gymnasium was constructed 1936-1937 on Forrest Street. The two-story brick building in an Art Deco style was designed by architect Juan G. Landry, with construction superintendent Ed Carley and Oden and Glenn local contractors. Construction began the first week in April 1936 for the $30,000 building. It was 176'5" by 117'4", with two practice courts and one exhibition court. Bleachers accommodated 1500, and when converted to an auditorium, held 3500. In addition to stage, dressing rooms, locker rooms, it also contained a lobby with ticket office and refreshment stand. It featured large main doors and...
  • Kennard-Washington Hall - Hattiesburg MS
    The University of Southern Mississippi's library, now known as Kennard-Washington Hall and serving as administrative offices, was constructed as PWA project x1370. The Georgian Revival style building was approved in September 1938 and construction began 12/19/1938. A grant of $38,863 was received toward the total cost of $86,363. Construction was completed November 10, 1939. "The two-story brick building has a hipped roof with a balustraded widow's walk, and was originally cross-shaped, but the northeast quadrant was infilled with a one-story brick addition" (Gatlin, 2010, p. .18). The interior features a two-story rotunda with dome, supported by columns. The building is...
  • Lake Byron (University of Southern Mississippi) - Hattiesburg MS
    Lake Byron was the 1934 gift from the Senior class to then named State Teachers College. It was named for Byron E. Green, Forrest County Board of Supervisors, who secured WPA relief funding to finance construction. The lake was planned as a state fish preserve, and completed April 1934. The lake and bridge were damaged in the 2013 tornado that struck Hattiesburg. The renovations enlarged the lake, and the historic bridge was reconstructed for compliance with ADA, with assistance from the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
  • University of Southern Mississippi Improvements - Hattiesburg MS
    The State Teachers College in Hattiesburg received funding from ERA in 1934 and 1935 for improvements and repair to several buildings on campus. The school received $28,532.89 for repairing the hospital building, redecorating the interior of the library, renovating four campus cottages, placing flood-lights on the athletic field, refinishing floors in the president's home, and enlargements and alteration of the demonstration school gymnasium along with brick veneering of the exterior. the library was enlarged and improved. At least two of the buildings (president's home and demonstration gymnasium) are extant.