1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13
  • Ackerman High School - Ackerman MS
    Ackerman High School is a 2-story Art Moderne building dating to 1941. Currently closed, the school was PWA Project Miss. 1156.
  • Agricultural Building - Goodman MS
    The National Youth Administration constructed a 1-story "very modernistic" brick classroom building for the Holmes County Agricultural High School in 1940 (Goodman High to have work). Architect James Manly Spain designed the building containing auditorium, classrooms, cafeteria, and basement. Approximately 75 laborers worked on the project from August 1939 to completion in January 1941. The project was slowed by winter weather.
  • Agriculture and Home Economics Vocational Building - Big Level MS
    The National Youth Administration began construction of a vocational classroom building for agriculture and home economics for the H. O. M. E. Consolidated School in Big Level in 1938 as W. P. 5209. The building was constructed of concrete blocks made at the project site. The project cost approximately $2400 and employed 25 boys. Although the building is no longer extant, the site is marked with a Mississippi Historical monument that acknowledges the NYA construction.
  • Agriculture Building (former) - Stringer MS
    The National Youth Administration construction the agriculture vocational building at the Stringer School in 1938, employing 25 boys in the project.
  • Alcorn State University: Lanier Hall - Lorman MS
    PWA approved project X1373 for a college dormitory for the HBCU Alcorn State University 9/16/1938. Construction began 12/18/1938 and was completed 8/19/1939. The Colonial Revival brick building is extant and remains in use. Architects Carl L. Olschner and Edgar Lucian Malvaney designed the dormitory and Flint-Jordan Construction Company erected the hall. The cost was $63,636.
  • Alcorn State University: Oakland Chapel renovations - Lorman MS
    The Oakland Chapel Greek Revival style building constructed 1840-1851 was completely renovated through support from the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) and state legislated funds that made repairs and improvements to 20 state institutions 1934-1935. Then known as Alcorn A & M College, the chapel was only one of the projects on the campus. Additional work included repair to the men's dormitory, extension of sewer lines, laying of sidewalks, and installment of concrete floors in the blacksmith and machine shops. A total of $8,728.66 of the over $400,000 spent in the other institutions was expended on Alcorn campus. The Mississippi legislature...
  • Amite County Courthouse Improvements - Liberty MS
    Mississippi’s oldest courthouse was enlarged, modernized and renovated with a Works Progress Administration project of more than $30,000. The red brick two-story Federal style building was originally constructed 1839-1840. The project added two-story wings on the east and west ends of the building, and two-story porches across the back and front elevations, adding six new offices to the existing building. Indoor lavatories and rest rooms were installed for the first time, and a steel fire-proof records vault installed. The remodeling and repair was authorized as a Civil Works Administration project in February, 1934, however, was discontinued prior to completion. An...
  • Arkabutla Reservoir Project - Coldwater MS
    The Arkabutla Dam and reservoir project was the second of three projects for flood control management of the Yazoo-Tallahatchie-Coldwater river systems in Mississippi. The Army Corps of Engineers directed the $10,000,000 project. In order to construct the dam and reservoir, the town of Coldwater had to be relocated a mile further south. Approximately 700 residents were relocated at a cost of $250,000. The earthen dam is 11, 500 feet long, average of 67 feet high, and 482 feet wide at the base. Contracts were let to H. N. Rodgers & Son, Forcum-James, and Pioneer Contracting. Patton-Tully Transportation was awarded a...
  • Arlington Vocational High School Administration Building - Philadelphia MS
    The single story Colonial Revival Administration building for the school was constructed in 1936 by the WPA.
  • Armory - Yazoo City MS
    The armory for Yazoo City was funded by the WPA with a projected cost of $52,000. Located on the corner of Jackson Avenue and Twelfth Street, it was intended for use as the armory, auditorium, and other public use. The monolithic concrete building was designed by architect N. W. Overstreet. The city provided about $20,000 through the bond sales for their contribution. Harris & Knowles was awarded contract for reinforcing steel, H. L. White Lumber Company for the lumber, and W. H. Johnston for electrical work. Lack of available WPA labor and materials shortages resulted in a delay of completion....
  • Armory (former) - Columbus MS
    The city of Columbus approved a bond issue to construct the city's portion of a Works Progress Administration (WPA) financed armory. The architect was R. T. Smith. Columbus purchased a site for the new armory and civic center in the business district. By summer of 1941, the armory was under construction. The Works Progress Administration supplied $45,000 toward the $65,000 building. The armory was a 4-story Art Deco building completed 1041-1942. It has been in use as a convention center since 1987.
  • Armory (former) - Greenville MS
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) allotted $30,379 to construct a new National Guard Armory in 1938. N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town were architects for the two-story, reinforced concrete Art Deco style building. The lower floor was devoted to Battery A of the 114th Field Artillery and regimental headquarters, battalion headquarters, instructors’ office, classroom, caretakers’ office and other rooms occupied the second floor. Work began in December 1938 and required seven months of construction. WPA workers also had to demolish two buildings at the site prior to construction beginning. The total cost was $38,453.17, with costs above the WPA allotment...
  • Armory (former) - Meadville MS
    The National Guard Armory in Meadville was designed in an Art Moderne style by architects N W Overstreet and A H Town. It was constructed by the WPA in 1938. It is currently in use by the Franklin County School District as the Junior ROTC program.
  • Auditorium/Elementary Building - Pachuta MS
    Penn Jeffries Krouse was the architect for the 1936 one-story school building constructed as Public Works Administration project 1153. A loan of $17,000 and grant of $13,909 was approved 9/25/1935 to construct and equip the school building. Construction began 4/6/1936, and was completed 10/24/1936 for a total of $30,926.
  • Back Bay Fire Co. No. 4 Station - Biloxi MS
    Works Progress Administration (WPA) project No. 3544 started 10/05/1935 included 3 additional fire stations. WPA funding supplied $13,495.01 and the sponsor $9,513.78 for payroll, materials, and equipment. Ground was broken for the new Back Bay fire station on the north side of Elder Street between Lameuse and Reynoir Street. The Back Bay station was expected to take 90 days and cost about $5,000. It contained a one engine garage, bed room, bath, kitchen and breakfast room, with a 20 by 30 foot assembly room. The brick and concrete block building was designed in Colonial Style by architect John T. Collins....
  • Bailey Magnet High School - Jackson MS
    Originally Bailey Junior High School, this historic building is "two stories and a basement in height and, due to sloping site, part of the basement is entirely above grade. The basement contains locker and shower rooms, a cafeteria, kitchen, club rooms, assembly room, industrial-arts rooms, shops, workrooms, and laboratories. On the first floor are the gymnasium, band room; domestic-science department including an apartment, a sewing room, and a cooking room; also 12 classrooms, rooms for the fine arts and natural sciences, the auditorium with its stage, a clinic, and administrative offices. The second floor contains the bleachers for the gymnasium, 10 classrooms,...
  • Bayou Auguste Homes Public Housing - Biloxi MS
    Bayou Auguste Homes for African Americans was completed 1941 in the 600 block of Roy Street. John Thomas Collins was supervising architect and construction was by Pittman Brothers.
  • Bayview Homes Public Housing Complex - Biloxi MS
    Bayview Homes was constructed 1941 in the 400 block of Braun Avenue. John Thomas Collins was the supervising architect and Pittman Brothers construction built the facility.
  • Beacon Homes Public Housing - Laurel MS
    Beacon Homes for white families was begun in 1939 with clearance of sub-standard housing. The project included 45 buildings of 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 room units on Beacon Street, now renamed Leontyne Price Boulevard. Designed by architects Landry and Matthes, low bid was awarded to W. J. McGee and Son for $466,943. Beacon Homes was the first low-rent housing project in Mississippi. Plans called for construction of one-story duplex dwellings and two-story row houses, with brick walls on hollow tile backup, concrete first floors and wood second floors, pitched roofs with cement asbestos shingles, and gas-fired space heaters. The...
  • Beat 4 Teacher's House - Waynesboro MS
    The National Youth Administration constructed a teacher's home in the Waynesboro vicinity, Beat 4 as W. P. 5193. It was designed by the Mississippi School Building Service, who provided free plans to superintendents.
  • Beauvoir Renovations and Repair - Biloxi MS
    Beauvoir, the retirement home of Jefferson Davis, was in use as the Old Soldiers Home in 1934-1945 when Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) and the Mississippi legislature funded repairs and renovations to 20 state institutions. Davis' Greek Revival home constructed c. 1850 was home to indigent or impoverished Confederate Veterans. Through combined state legislative funds and the ERA labor and funds, Beauvoir was "renovated and brought up to a reasonable state of repair" (Clarion-Ledger, 1935, p. 3). Interior and exteriors were painted, as were several cottages on the property and the chapel. The house was also "completed redecorated" (Clarion-Ledger, 1935,...
  • Benjamin G. Humphreys Bridge (demolished) - Greenville MS to AR
    The US 82 bridge between Greenville, Mississippi and Lake Village, Arkansas was constructed to increase access between the two states to benefit economic development in the Delta. It was dismantled and replaced in 2011 due to increased river traffic, which resulted in numerous hits to the bridge over the years, and increased vehicular traffic which resulted in traffic control issues due to the narrow lanes and lack of shoulders. The Reconstruction Finance Corporation lent $2.55 million toward the cost of the original bridge. WPA funds were secured in 1938 for the remainder. The Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) was also involved with...
  • Bienville National Forest - Forest MS
    With Proclamation 2175, June 15, 1936, President Franklin D. Roosevelt created the Bienville National Forest in Mississippi.  This proclamation was part of FDR’s overall effort to create more national forests in the eastern United States. As with other national forests, the goal of Bienville was “to produce the greatest amount of good for the most people… Fire protection gives the timber a chance to grow so as to produce a merchantable crop; trees are being planted where former logging practise (sic) did not leave the land in a condition to re-seed itself; grazing will be regulated so as to coordinate...
  • Big Biloxi Recreational Area: DeSoto National Forest - Saucier MS
    A recreation area was constructed in the Biloxi Unit of the DeSoto National forest, including a bath house with water from an artesian well, and nine picnic areas with graveled paths. Tables, chairs and cooking pits were planned from brick or stone, and a picnic shed of “native materials” was under construction. The site was dedicated in June 1937. Located ¼ mile east of old Hwy 49 and 23 miles south of Wiggins, the site was constructed by camp 10, a CCC camp comprised of African Americans. The area cost approximately $14,000 and included the bath house with native cypress...
  • Biloxi Airport - Biloxi MS
    In 1934, 21 airports were reported under construction in Mississippi through the federal Civil Works Administration (CWA), including the new airport at the Naval Reserve Park in Biloxi. The "third CWA allotment amounting to $10,371 for the Biloxi landing field bringing the total granted Biloxi for this purpose to nearly $40,000" (More money, 1934, p. 1) resulted in a new field with 3 landing lanes. Nearly 200 men were put to work initially, and more added later. The Coast Guard Air Field, Biloxi Municipal would share space, and later, all become part of Keesler Air Force Base in its current...
  • Biloxi Beach Community House - Biloxi MS
    The community house was approved as Works Progress Administration (WPA) project 20,814 in 1938. The wood-frame Colonial Style building was constructed to replace the former community house, on the same site. The design featured a banquet hall, recreation room, 850-seat auditorium and 350-seat balcony (Approve Biloxi Community House, 1938). The portico and columns were planned to be used from the existing community house. Biloxi provided $6,287 of the total cost of $17,051. The building was "nearing completion" in January 1939, and scheduled for dedication in late February or early March. It was demolished following Hurricane Camille damage in 1969.
  • Biloxi High School Athletic Field - Biloxi MS
    The new athletic field commenced development in 1940, prior to beginning the new Junior High in 1942. The $17,000 project included "grading, drainage and fencing of the new field" (Daily Herald, January 1, 1940). It included a playing field, three practice fields, and a quarter mile track. The field was used for the first time by Biloxi High School vs. Moss Point on September 17, 1941 (Biloxi will use new school field).
  • Biloxi Junior High School (former) - Biloxi MS
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) initially funded the project, but closed it due to lack of WPA labor in Biloxi (The Daily Herald, 1941). WPA expended $27,937 on the school construction. The design indicated eighteen classrooms, home economics, science and manual training facilities. In addition to the WPA funding, voters approved bonds for $47,000. The bids for building, plumbing and heating exceeded the funding available (The Biloxi Schools, p. 7-8). Additional funding was sought from the Federal Works Agency to complete the building, and it opened in September 1943 (Biloxi Schools).
  • Bond School Home Economics Building - Louisville, MS
    The National Youth Administration funded the new frame construction of the Bond School's Home Economics Building in Winston County. W.P. 5187, Application #903; NYA. I-A2-80" (Series 2018)
  • Boswell Regional Center: Mississippi State Tuberculosis Sanatorium - Magee MS
    In a state-wide program to renovate and improve Mississippi institutions, the State Tuberculosis Hospital, using relief labor and ERA funding, carried out extensive painting and repairs and improvements in 1934-1935. $23,844.80 was expended on interior, exterior painting, floor refinishing, plastering, and new construction. Buildings improved included the two infirmary buildings, six smaller buildings including convalescent wards, nurses home, doctors apartments, staff residences, Preventorium, and service building. The carpenter shop, dairy barn, laying houses, and brooder were constructed. The Preventorium and some residences are still extant, but most other buildings have been demolished. The remaining buildings are used as the Boswell...
  • Bowdry School Building - Senatobia MS
    This eight room frame building was constructed by the National Youth Administration for use by African American students in the segregated school system of Tate County, near the town of Senatobia, Mississippi. It was completed in 1938, replacing the one room shack previously used by the district.   W.P. 4656, Application # 115: (1937-38); NYA. I-A1-69" (Series 2018)
  • Bridge - McNeill MS
    The concrete bridge constructed by the Works Progress Administration over the Hobolichitto Creek (also spelled Hobolochitto) was 100 feet wide and part of the county's farm to market road program. It was constructed 5 miles from McNeill for a cost of $6,304. It has since been replaced.
  • Burglund Heights Public Housing - McComb MS
    Burglund Heights, a public low-income housing complex for African Americans, was begun January 17, 1940. Thirteen buildings were planned to house 76 families, at a projected cost of $231,670. M. T. Reed Construction Company built the units. Work crew included 300 mechanics and laborers. The units were proposed to address inadequate living conditions for both black and white families in McComb, including lack of indoor toilets, running water, and houses in dilapidated condition. Construction was scheduled for completion August 1, 1940 and occupancy began September 1 with an average monthly rental of $11.00 including rent and utilities. The two-story brick units...
  • Cafeteria (former) - Hickory Flat MS
    The National Youth Administration constructed the rock cafeteria for the Hickory Flat school in 1939. The original building featured a double-door entrance in the center and single door entrance/exits on either side of the center doors. The doors were wooden, with 9-pane lights in the upper half of the door. Windows and doors have been altered. The building remains in use by the Hickory Flat school system.
  • Calhoun School - Laurel MS
    The Calhoun school was constructed 1939 as project x1289. A PWA grant of $13,622 was approved 9/13/1938. Construction began 12/16/1938 and was completed 7/13/1939 at a cost of $28,909. Architects were Landry & Matthes. The school was demolished in 2007.
  • Camp Pratt - Columbus MS
    The City of Columbus was awarded $8,821 for WPA project 41048 for improvements to Camp Pratt recreation center. The summer camp facility constructed a swimming pool, keeper's house, and remodeled camp houses, using 27 workers for 6 months. The city of Columbus supplied the materials. The 70-acre site was sold in 2018 with the agreement the city could continue to use it for summer camp.
  • Campus Improvements: Pearl River Community College - Poplarville MS
    Works Progress Administration Project 41,187 was approved for improvements to campus streets and the athletic field at Pearl River Junior College. The allotment was $31,335 and the sponsor’s fund was $14,582. The Coast Engineering Co., prepared plans for the project, which included paving all driveways, building curbs for sidewalks, grounds beautification, grading, seeding, sodding, tree and shrub planting. The athletic field was enlarged and concrete bleachers were erected.
  • Carmack Community School - Kosciusko MS
    This one-story frame school in the Kosciusko vicinity was built in 1938. Constructed with funds from the National Youth Administration, the building has a distinctive T-shape.
  • Carolina Consolidated School (former) - Nettleton MS
    Public Works Administration project 1251 was for Itawamba County school construction. The project for the Carolina Consolidated School near Fulton was approved January 1, 1934 in the amount of a $4,370 loan and a $1,860 grant. Construction began June 20, 1934 and was completed September 12, 1934 for a total cost of $8,003. The former Carolina community school was destroyed in 1932. The building remains in use as the Carolina Community Center and regular activities are held in the building.
  • Carrie Stern Elementary School - Greenville MS
    The Georgian Revival style elementary school completed September 9, 1939 was described that year as a "school of tomorrow" by the Democrat-Times. The interior was primarily Art Deco and Streamlined Moderne (MDAH) to reflect modern ideas of teaching. Funded by the city and PWA funds, estimated cost was $151,000.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13