Townsend Hall, originally called the Practice Building, is the home of the MU education department and when built, included the practice school and University High school. It was built with PWA funding in 1935-36.
Kirk Memorial was built as the campus museum at the southern end of the north quad. It has a design reminiscent of Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson.
This large classroom building that greatly expanded the capacity of the then Missouri State Teacher’s College. Designed by Bonsack & Pearce, it has classic lines and is highly functional. It is still in use.
The north quad is still at the northernmost point of the Truman Sate University campus. During the extensive construction that occurred during the 30’s, the north quad was renovated by landscape architects Hare & Hare from Kansas City. The trees… read more
This building addition currently houses the University Art Museum. Originally, it was a junior high in the college’s lab school.
Now an apartment building, the old Art Modern United States Courthouse and Post Office in Kansas City housed the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri until 1998. The GSA lists significant events in the building’s development: 1935:… read more
St. Louis’s historic University Station post office was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the Great Depression. The building was completed in 1938 and is still in use today. A New Deal mural, “The Louisiana Purchase Exposition,” hangs inside.
The mural “The Louisiana Purchase Exposition” was painted by Trew Hocker. The New Deal artwork was installed in the lobby of St. Louis’s University City Station post office and is still visible today.
The PWA constructed this gymnasium in a style and native rock façade that echoed existing buildings on the UCMO campus. It is now known as Morrow Hall, and is still actively used for the gymnasium and Physical Education department.
The PWA funded the construction of the library on the University of Central Missouri campus. The building, now the Dockery building, is no longer the library, but is actively used for classrooms and offices. It is on the north side… read more
Along with Tandy, Gamble, and Carver House recreation centers, Vashon Community Center was constructed as one of four community recreation centers to served the African-American population in St. Louis. Vashon Community Center served the population living in the Mill Creek… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Vine Hill School and Community Building (also known as Horney Buck School) in 1939 in Cape Fair. The building served as a school during the week, as a community center on Saturdays, and as an interdenominational… read more
Walter Williams Hall is on the northeast side of the University of Missouri and the arch is the main entry to the historical quad of buildings that are the oldest on the campus.The structures were constructed from 1935-37 with PWA… read more
The PWA constructed this waterworks facility in Braymer with funds appropriated in 1938. The PWA also did extensive sewer construction in Braymer. From the Daily Capital News, Juney 23, 1938: The Public Works Administration began its 1938 spending-lending program today… read more
The county seat of Wayne county moved to this location when the construction of the Lake Wappapello Dam forced the movement of the entire town of Greenville, previously located along the St. Francis River. The building cost about $98,000. Construction… read more
This is the third courthouse built in Webster County and is constructed of Carthage Marble with art deco elements on the walls and a top floor jail. “The Works Progressive Administration (WPA) was instrumental in the construction of Webster County’s… read more
Wells Hall was built by the PWA in 1938 to house the library, and is named after the university’s first librarian, Edwin C. Wells. Currently, it houses offices for Communication, Theatre, Modern Languages, Mass Communication, and TV and radio stations. … read more
The original parts of this school were constructed in 1915 with a cut rock base, brick and cut rock accents. The north side of the school, which faces the paved playground/parking area, is the main entry to the school. In… read more