News-Press NOW: “Rosecrans Field got a large hangar, thanks to the WPA; it survived until the 1993 flood led to its demolition.”
WPA work on the park included “cleaning out the lake, building 3,000 feet of rubble masonry retaining walls, one foot bridge, repairs to fish hatchery, four new growing pools, repairs to superintendent’s residence, a new garage, five tourist cabins, construction… read more
The Public Works Administration completed this services building for the St. Louis City Hospital Complex in 1940. The red brick building is vacant at the present, but is currently for sale. Surrounding buildings have been successfully repurposed and this building… read more
The Shannon County Courthouse was designed by architect Dan R. Sanford of Springfield, MO. The Works Progress Administration completed the public building in 1941. The building was constructed after a fire destroyed the previous courthouse. A referendum was held on… read more
The fire lookout tower and associated outbuildings at Sinking Creek were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934, probably under the supervision of the US Forest Service (USFS). The complex includes various buildings including a house, garage, and… read more
Four striking limestone sculptures were created by Walker Hancock as part of a Federal Art Project Commission. The work, “Courage, Vision, Sacrifice, Loyalty” was installed around the entrances to St. Louis’s historic Soldiers’ Memorial in 1939. UMSL.edu: “Walker Hancock, a St…. read more
This bridge over the Union Pacific Railroad on South Kingshighway Boulevard just south of Interstate 44 was built by the WPA and the Missouri State Highway Department in 1936. Extensive structural problems, some related to earthquakes, have made this bridge… read more
From Wikipedia: “Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge is a National Wildlife Refuge in northwestern Missouri, USA, established in 1935 by President Franklin D. Roosevelt as a refuge and breeding ground for migratory birds and other wildlife. The refuge comprises 7,350… read more
Originally constructed as St. Joseph Fire Station Number Five, what is now the St. Joseph Fire Museum was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The building bears a Federal Works Agency plaque on the right side of its… read more
Originally constructed as St. Joseph Fire Station Number Seven, the building at 919 Corby Street was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The station was moved across the street from an earlier firehouse just across… read more
Named after E. Sydney Stephens, the University of Missouri’s Stephens Hall was constructed by the PWA in 1935-36. The building now houses the biochemistry department.
The addition to this original school is in the rear of the building and is rather nondescript. It was a $29,000 project in 1938.
The CCC built bleachers and a surrounding rock wall for Fredericktown’s high school baseball diamond. The project features a tall rock wall with periodic columns for strength that is capped with concrete. It surrounds 3 sides of a large baseball… read more