“From April 1936 through the early 1940s, Depression-era government make-work programs brought improvements to the cemetery. Works Progress Administration (WPA) laborers were responsible for building 23,000’ of hard-surfaced roads and walks, 46,000’ concrete curbs, nearly 16,000’ of “asphalt macadam” roads,… read more
Notes: The Jefferson Junior High Auditorium was Federal Public Works Project N. 3701, erected in 1934. It is a multi-use Auditorium for stage productions and sporting events, particularly basketball. The seating was replaced within the last 10 years, but there… read more
The Jefferson National Expansion Memorial is a large park along the Mississippi River maintained by the National Park Service. It contains the iconic St. Louis Gateway Arch. The construction of the park lasted for multiple decades. The WPA and the… read more
In 1936, the PWA built Damel Hall, named after John W Damel, who taught at Lincoln University for more than 40 years. Damel Hall was built to house the “Mechanics Arts Department” and currently houses computer sciences and other technology… read more
The clinic building is on the south side of the main downtown district of Kirksville, just east of the Northeast Regional Medical Center. This building was initially used for patient clinics by the osteopathic school, but now houses offices primarily.
The addition to the existing 1849 courthouse was accomplished with an almost seamless continuation of the style of the original. The dental work below the eaves and over-all style was duplicated. This was important to the townspeople because of its… read more
Constructed in 1940 by the Army Corps of Engineers, this dam created the 45,000-acre Lake Wappapello reservoir on the St. Francis River. Constructed with the primary intention of flood control, Lake Wappapello continues to offer recreational opportunities including boating, fishing, and… read more
This free-standing brick façade laundry facility was completed in 1940 by the Public Works Administration to service the St. Louis City Hospital complex including the City Hospital, Malcolm Bliss Psychopathologic Institute, and clinic. It is a red brick building in… read more
This stately 2 story addition to the existing high school, dating to 1921, consists predominately of the gymnasium and auditorium. The front brick façade is accentuated by crenelations at the top of the front wall and the style of the… read more
The Works Progress Administration restored the Anderson House at the Lexington State Historic Site. According to a storyboard (pictured below) in the museum at this site, “significant repairs and restoration were undertaken by the Works Progress Administration as part of the… read more
In 1940, the PWA built this large 3 story brick building as a dormitory to house women. It is named after Libby Anthony who was a “matron” of girls and an instructor in the department of domestic economy.
In 1940, the Public Works Administration (PWA) built this large 3 story brick building as a dormitory to house female students at Lincoln University. It is named after Libby Anthony who was a “matron” of girls and an instructor in… read more
Now known as the National WWI Museum and Memorial, what was then the Liberty Memorial was the recipient of efforts on the part of multiple New Deal agencies. National Register of Historic Places nomination form: Numerous small-scale features are located throughout… read more
CCC crews built this small recreational lake on Mill Creek in Mark Twain National Forest in 1940. It is at least partially spring-fed and tends to be clear. The dam has a simple concrete spillway. In addition to the lake,… read more
This large stone building was completed by the WPA in 1938 along with a swimming pool. The pool has since been replaced by a modern pool, but the large bathhouse and attached buildings have been repurposed as the Maplewood Public… read more
CCC crews built Marcoot Fire Lookout tower in what would become Mark Twain National Forest in 1936. The tower is on Route 72 and consists of the tower and outbuildings, some of which appear to be from the original project. … read more
Completed in 1942, this Work Projects Administration building features native Missouri stone and concrete. The building was designed by architect Mason C. Abbitt from Jefferson City, MO. Construction occurred in two stages and the facility includes a county jail.
The former Mark Twain Memorial Bridge, spanning the Mississippi River between Hannibal, Missouri and Illinois, was constructed as a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project. A preserved portion of the old Mark Twain Memorial Bridge remains on the west bank of the… read more