The Rockville school was a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project in Rockville, Minnesota. In late 1934, the town of Rockville realized they needed a bigger school for the children in their town: too many children attended the existing school, and the… read more
Sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA), the auditorium / gymnasium addition to the Sandstone School constructed in 1936 was accomplished as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The PWA provided a grant of $24,966 for the project, whose… read more
The Stillwater Overlook – South was built as part of an extensive roadside development project in the Stillwater area. Work on the Stillwater-area projects apparently occurred in 1935-1939, first using federal relief labor hired under the National Recovery Work Relief… read more
The Works Progress Administration built the Shelly School in Shelly MN in 1938. According to Docomomo, the structure is a “[h]andsome schoolhouse built in Art Deco style with Streamline Moderne elements such as rounded corners and ample glass block. Build… read more
According to The WPA in West St. Paul: The Works Progress Administration (WPA) “constructed Sibley Junior High School at the corner of Bernard and Bidwell. It was the second of three schools named for Henry Sibley that would serve West… read more
This campground offers a variety of opportunities for campers including fishing, hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, boating, and bird watching. Sites sit well above the river. The historic log pavilion was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1933 and is… read more
Between 1936 and 1943, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook construction and landscaping projects in St. Croix State Park. St. Croix State Park was developed through a National Parks Service program, the Recreational Demonstration… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted numerous sidewalk, curb, road, and other infrastructure projects in West St. Paul, Minnesota. Among the evidence for such projects: A two block stretch of Stryker Avenue has a total of seven WPA stamps from… read more
In 1938, the Works Progress Administration completed the tunnel and stonework entrance into the Todd County Courthouse.
The Todd County Fairgrounds Grandstand was constructed in 1940. It was the largest Works Progress Administration (WPA) project in the county. The workers began pouring concrete in the spring. The grandstand was a labor-intensive effort. The size of the work… read more
The UMN Cloquet Forestry Center (CFC) is the primary research and demonstration forest for the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, currently a research and outreach center (ROC) for the College of Food, Agricultural, and Natural Resource Sciences. The Cloquet Forestry Center… read more
The student union at the University of Minnesota, now known as Coffman Memorial Union, was likely a New Deal project (probably PWA), though substantially later than the other New Deal buildings on campus. From contributor Charles Swaney: “I’ve been impressed… read more
Cooke Hall was built in 1934, probably as a PWA project like Pioneer Hall since it predates the WPA.
Murphy Hall may have been a New Deal project dating to the late 1930s. It was constructed between 1938-1940 as a new home for journalism.
Pioneer Hall is a co-ed residential hall for first-year students at the University of Minnesota. Originally the Men’s Dormitory, the building features colonial architecture and was built in two shifts, the latter with funding from the Public Works Administration. The… read more
“The laboratory…was designed and built under the direction of a dedicated individual, Lorenz G. Straub. Straub had been a Freeman Fellow and observed several laboratories in Germany during the year of his fellowship. He came to the University in 1930… read more
“The building was constructed in 1940 under the New Deal program known as the Works Progress Administration (WPA), and was used for town dances, church socials, wedding receptions and speeches by political figures such as Hubert Humphrey. The original village… read more
One of architect Clarence “Cap” Wigington’s distinctive St. Paul structures, the West Minnehaha Recreation Center was built between 1937 and 1938 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Wigington was the first black municipal architect in the country, and many of… read more
The Works Progress Administration built the Westport School in Westport MN. The structure has a simple, Moderne exterior. Most windows have since been bricked up. Minnesota Historical Society has a photo from initial construction [2056-A (Negative Number)] from the Works Progress… read more