The City Hall for Clare, Michigan, was begun in 1933 under the auspices of the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and led by architect R. V. Gay. Details of the project’s origins can be found in the 1933 document, General Construction Specifications.
There are four large (about 20′ tall), vertically-oriented murals in the auditorium of the Clare Middle School, originally the Clare High School, on the north wall of the auditorium. The outer murals are dominated by a woman on the left,…read more
Sculpted by Samuel Cashwan in 1938 for the Works Progress Administration (WPA), “Pioneer Mother” is a deco modern-style sculpture on the south side of the Clare High School, now the Clare Middle School. It has the appearance of a madonna…read more
The oil-on-canvas mural “The Mail Arrives in Clare—1871” was painted by Allan Thomas for the historic Clare post office. The work, which was sponsored by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts, was installed in 1937.