Henry A. Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Center – Beltsville MD

Main building, Wallace Agricultural Research Center - Beltsville MD

The Henry A. Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, or BARC, is a unit of the United States Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Research Service. BARC is the largest agricultural research complex in the world. It was founded in 1910 and greatly… read more

Henry A. Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Center: Log Lodge – Beltsville MD

The Log Lodge at the Henry A. Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Center was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) from pine and white oak logs harvested on-site.  Construction of the lodge was started in 1934 by the Works Progress… read more

Municipal Improvements – Brentwood MD

According to an index of WPA projects in the national archives, the WPA did extensive work in Brentwood, including: installing water mains, constructing sidewalks, curbs and gutters, and paving and storm drainage. Records show the WPA also constructed a Law… read more

Municipal Improvements – Colmar Manor MD

The WPA did extensive work in Colmar Manor in 1935, including constructing concrete sidewalks, curbs and gutter improvements. The WPA also made alterations to Town Hall and improvements to City Park and a local playground. It is not known whether… read more

Municipal Improvements – Rockville MD

According to records in the National Archives, the WPA did extensive work in Rockville. They laid sewer extensions on multiple streets in 1936. In 1939, work included: “Improv[ing] public thoroughfares throughout the town of Rockville…including constructing curbs, gutters, and sidewalks,… read more

Municipal Improvements – Seat Pleasant MD

The WPA did extensive work in Seat Pleasant in 1937, including: “Improve Roosevelt Avenue, Vine and Valley Streets, and Addison Chapel Road, by constructing curbs, gutters, and cross drains, surfacing, underforming, and appurtenant work,” and “Construct streets, sidewalks, curbs, gutters,… read more

National Institute of Standards and Technology Improvements – Gaithersburg MD

Originally called the National Bureau of Standards, this a measurement standards laboratory, which is a non-regulatory agency of the United States Department of Commerce. The name was changed in 1988. (It is also sometimes known as the National Metrological Institute… read more

New Germany State Park – Grantsville MD

CCC-built structures at New Germany State Park, that are still in use today, include a recreation building, cabins, and picnic shelters. According to the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, “Today the Recreation Hall (Rec Hall) is the site for many… read more