Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) laborers improved/renovated what was then the Massachusetts National Guard armory in Gloucester. W.P.A. project details: “Repair and improve Armory building” Official Project Number: 165‐14‐2401 Total project cost: $9,042.00 Sponsor: Military Department, Commonwealth of Massachusetts “Make general… read more
WPA Bulletin, 1937: “Up in Gloucester four WPA painters are specks in the sky as they swing in tiny bossun’s chairs from the top of the 250-foot Babson Reservoir water tank which they are painting. Such a height should make… read more
Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) constructed facilities at what was known as the City Home in Gloucester, Massachusetts. WPA Bulletin: At City Home, Gloucester, WPA razed a dilapidated wooden structure and built an all-stone garage and storage shed. These buildings will… read more
Though there is some uncertainly about the artist and original location of this mural, it was painted with the help of FAP funds.
Frederick Mulhaupt painted “DeChamplain Surveys Le Beauport” and “Landing of Dorchester Colonists–1623” in 1936 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. The murals were originally installed at the old Central Grammar School.
Gloucester City Hall contains several paintings by Charles Allan Winter. “The Founding of Gloucester” was painted in 1934, with funding from an unknown federal agency. “Education” was painted in 1935 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. It was… read more
The facility now known as Jodrey State Fish Pier was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds during the Great Depression. The PWA supplied a grant of $522,046 for the project, whose total cost was $1,137,311…. read more
Frederick Mulhaupt painted two large pieces for the old Maplewood School in 1934-35. They were later moved to their current location at the O’Maley Middle School. “Native American Life on Cape Ann” is composed of one 6′ x 40 panel… read more
This 4′ x 9′ mural “Our Daily Bread” was painted by Frederick Stoddard in 1934 with the help of New Deal funds. It was originally installed in the old Central Grammar School.
Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) workers constructed a sizable sea wall in Gloucester, Massachusetts. From a W.P.A. Bulletin: More than 3500 tons of stone set in cement were required in the construction of this 1100 foot WPA sea wall at Stage… read more