The historic post office building located at 100 Center St. in Chicopee, Massachusetts was constructed by the federal Treasury Department and completed in 1935. Located in the village of Chicopee Center, this was one of two post office buildings from… read more
In response to heavy flooding after a severe storm in 1936, Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) labor—under the direction of U.S. Army engineers—constructed dikes along the Connecticut River in many Massachusetts communities, including Chicopee. The exact status and locations of these… read more
The W.P.A. extended Granby Road in conjunction with the development of the Westover military reservation. W.P.A. project information: “Granby Rd. to Ind. Gate ‐Westover Field” Official Project Number: 65‐1‐14‐3047 Total project cost: $15,587.00 Sponsor: U.S. Navy Department
Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) workers constructed an infirmary in Chicopee, Massachusetts. From a W.P.A. Bulletin: One hundred and fifty-two patients will be accommodated in the new Chicopee WPA City Infirmary Project now under construction. Plans include a two-story central building… read more
Ludlow Road was extended by the W.P.A. Project information: “Ludlow Rd. to Slobbery Pond Road”, also “Ludlow Rd. to Pleasant St.” Official Project Number: 65‐1‐14‐3047 Total project cost: $48,437.00 Sponsor: War Department The road was built in conjunction with the development… read more
The historic New Deal post office in the Chicopee Falls community in Chicopee, Massachusetts contains a 1938 Section of Fine Arts mural by Ernst Halberstadt entitled “History of Chicopee Falls.” Richly detailed vignettes of the history of Chicopee Falls with… read more
Four wooden grilles by Frederick H. Brunner adorn the historic New Deal-era post office building located at 28 Main Street in the Chicopee Falls community in Chicopee, Massachusetts. The carvings were commissioned by the federal Treasury Relief Art Project (TRAP).
“President Roosevelt signed a $750,000 Works Progress Administration (WPA) project bill for the air base’s construction in November 1939. Fourteen hundred WPA and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers cleared the land, and actual construction was started in February 1940.” W.P.A…. read more