Originally the Louisiana State School for the Deaf, this neoclassical design building is now an administration building for the Baton Rouge Police Department.
The oil-on-canvas mural “Cotton Time,” by Allison B. Curry, depicts workers harvesting an abundant cotton crop with a cotton mill in the background, evoking the agrarian and industrial aspects of that state’s history. “Curry’s initial design for the post office in… read more
“LaSalle’s Quest for the Mississippi” was painted in 1939 by Elsie Driggs and “…depicts the story of LaSalle’s travels just before he discovered the mouth of the Mississippi” (Kimmerle, 2008, p. 37). Driggs painted primarily in the Precisionist style, although… read more
This oil-on-canvas mural “Evangeline” was painted by Minetta Good in 1940. It has been moved from the old post office to this new location. The painting shows the fictive Acadian (French-American) heroine of the 1847 Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poem of… read more
This 1938 fresco “The River” was painted by Francisca Negueloua, for Tallulah’s then-new post office, with funding from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. That post office is now the Madison Parish Health Unit; the mural has been relocated to Tallulah’s current post… read more
The former Presbytère or Rectory of the late 18th century St. Louis Cathedral is now part of the Louisiana State Museum complex, along with the old Cabildo Building. The Cabildo flanks St. Louis on the west and the Presbytère on… read more