Ann Rice O’Hanlon’s was commissioned in 1934 through the Treasury Relief Art Project to create a fresco featured in Memorial Hall on the University of Kentucky’s Lexington campus. “The large fresco in the lobby of Memorial Hall depicts scenes from… read more
Berea, Kentucky’s Police and Municipal Center was originally built as the community’s post office. The New Deal building was constructed ca. 1938. It also houses an example of New Deal artwork.
Frank W. Long completed this tempera-on-plaster mural, entitled “Berea Commencement in the Old Days,” in 1940 with funds provided by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. It is viewable in the lobby of the Berea Police and Municipal Center (itself a… read more
The WPA completed this law school building in 1938-39 when it was known simply as the University of Louisville Law School. The project submitter reports that the building’s WPA heritage is locally known, and is also referenced in a letter… read more
“The primary attraction in the park continues to be Polk’s giant chain, which is estimated to have been over a mile long before flooding and erosion destroyed part of it. With an anchor weighing between four and six tons and… read more
Alice Dineen painted the oil-on-canvas mural “The Dark and Bloody Ground” for the Treasury Section of Fine Arts in 1940. The building was previously the post office.
“Like many of the newer forests purchased under the Weeks Act of 1911, the Daniel Boone (originally the Cumberland National Forest) was acquired by President Franklin Roosevelt’s administration for restoration by the newly created Civilian Conservation Corps” (nationalforests.org).
Also known as Stone Shelter, the Devou Park shelter house was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.), as part of a $97,251 grant to the city for park improvements. The shelter house, constructed of native fieldstone and containing a… read more
“The school was built by the Works Progress Administration. It opened for classes in 1936 and was dedicated by Eleanor Roosevelt. The main building is nearly identical in construction and materials to Simon Kenton High School, located in Independence, Kentucky…. read more
From contributor Charles Swaney: “This single story elementary school with 2-story gymnasium was constructed with local bluestone as were 2 other schools constructed at the same time. The date of construction is well seen above the entry. Currently, the school… read more
An addition with full gymnasium at the community school in Forkland, Boyle County, KY. Stone came from a newly-opened quarry in Mitchellsburg, a few miles away. Final cost, $44,000. When the school was closed about 1971, residents in the Forkland… read more
"These barracks are one of several buildings erected at Fort Knox by the Quartermaster Corps of the Army and consist of 4 units of fireproof construction with concrete frames and brick curtain walls trimmed with stone. Another building, a 2-company… read more
“Haldeman-Hayes Crossing Community Center inhabits the old Haldeman school gymnasium. The community of Haldeman is named for L.P. Haldeman, owner of the Kentucky Firebrick Company. Haldeman’s company took advantage of the local geology to mine clay to create firebrick that… read more
KY.gov: “The first armory in Harlan was constructed … by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). … The building is located in Sunshine, across a bridge and next to the railroad tracks outside downtown Harlan. The building is a two-story poured… read more
“In 1930, the Henderson Audubon Society requested $100,000 from the Federal government to help construct an Audubon Museum. The Society had a large and growing collection of Audubon artifacts that needed proper housing. National interest in the works of Audubon… read more
The federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) undertook improvement work at the former Johnson County Courthouse in Paintsville, Kentucky: “Interior Remodeled, Including Electric, Water, and Heating Systems.” The exact location and status of the former courthouse is unknown to Living New… read more
The federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) undertook improvement work at the Laurel County Courthouse in London, Kentucky: “Wiring, Painting, Roofing, Stairways, Flooring, and Window Repairs,” in addition to “Extensive General Repairs and Painting.”
The WPA built the National Guard Armory in Lexington in 1941. Strong horizontal lines define the 2nd floor, front façade. The design is almost identical to that of the Richmond, Kentucky WPA armory. It is now a police fitness center… read more
From contributor Charles Swaney: “Modern deco design in this 2-story building that presently houses the Communication Arts Center of Trinity High School. Trees obscure the front façade, but the prominent vertical elements surrounding the entry are still evident as is… read more
Mammoth Cave National Park in central Kentucky encompasses portions of Mammoth Cave, the longest cave system known in the world. The National Park Service website describes CCC work on the park: “…the Civilian Conservation Corps arrived on the scene to… read more
In 1934, Frank Long completed two murals, entitled “Labor” and “Recreation,” for the browsing room of the University of Kentucky library, with funding from the Public Works of Art Project (PWAP). The above photo depicts “Labor,” in situ, in 1939…. read more
The federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) undertook improvement work (e.g., painting) at the McCreary County Courthouse in Whitley City, Kentucky.