The area, known as Winamac Recreational Demonstration Area, was originally in the hands of the federal government. The WPA built improvements on the park between 1935 and 1942. The WPA recruited local men to improve Tippecanoe River State Park. The… read more
The WPA laborers completed two group camps by 1938, known as Camp Tepicon and Camp Pottawattomie. The camps were immediately occupied by Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. Today, the surviving group camp is known as Potawatomi. Potawatomi is a functional group… read more
The building is a remnant of Camp Tepicon, a group camp constructed by WPA laborers. The dining hall is still in use and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Using a variety of native materials, the CCC built gatehouses designed to appeal to the eye and draw in visitors with hints of the delights of nature within the park. The gate house retains its orginal limestone facade, wood clapboard,… read more
The WPA constructed firetowers on steel frameworks to help protect the new plantings and existing forests. The firetower at Tippecanoe River State Park was completed in 1940 by WPA laborers. The firetower stands around 90′ tall.
The oven shelter is largely unknown to the public. The shelter contains a stone fireplace. The oven shelter is classified as parks rustic.
The shelter was completed by WPA labores in 1936. The L-shaped shelter was constructed out of local stone. The WPA also completed a comfort nearby the shelter. The comfort station is unaltered besides the handicapped access ramps that were added… read more