Building was the hatchery office, since replaced by a pole barn to the South (Building now empty). More recent development is to the south (an additional pond, a property manager’s residence), and west of the lower ponds (headquarters and maintenance… read more
Concrete foundation, hipped and gabled roof, and flat-roofed dormers all 4 sides. Site of Starve Hollow nursery immediately to South with white pine plantings. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) between 1938 and 1939.
175-acre lake impounded by earth dam. Large concrete spillway Southeast end. Set in heavily wooded hollow. Fish hatchery below dam. Constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) between 1938 and 1939.
Some possibility the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) may have worked on this, given the proximity of the former nursery service building. However, a Works Progress Administration (WPA) Transient Camp located S of Starve-Hollow constructed the dam impounding Starve Hollow Lake,… read more