Annexes to the original federal building and courthouse dating to 1905 were completed in 1938. The entire structure was renamed for the late politician Birch Bayh in 2003. From the visitor’s guide to the complex: “Originally half its current size,… read more
The Birch Bayh Federal Building annex (the rear portion of the building, toward E. New York St.) features two vehicular entrances—one at the northeast and one at the northwest corner of the building. They are capped by identical limestone friezes, titled “Distribution… read more
“Mail, Transportation and Delivery” and “Early Present Day Indianapolis Life” are two sets of murals painted by Grant Christian in 1935-6 with funding from the Treasury Relief Art Project. The artwork, which is not accessible to the general public, consists… read more
The historic Broad Ripple Station post office in Indianapolis was constructed in 1940-1 with Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses an example of New Deal artwork, is still in service.
“Suburban Street” is a 1942 Section of Fine Arts mural entitled “Suburban Street” by Alan Tompkins. The size of the mural is 11’9″ x 5’2″ and the medium is oil on canvas. The work is installed in Indianapolis’s historic Broad… read more
The Works Progress Administration built the Inland Naval Armory, also know as the Heslar Naval Armory. According to historian Glory-June Greiff, “[…] the stunning WPA-built Naval Armory, the work of architect Ben H. Bacon, has graced the bank of the non-navigable White River since… read more
Multiple New Deal agencies: the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) and the Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) contributed to the development of the Indiana State Fairgrounds. Projects included the Coliseum, WPA Barns, and a WPA Tunnel.
“Architect Merritt Harrison considered this building his finest creation. PWA (Public Works Administration) funds made it possible for the Fair Board to build this structure, which was to be a “Livestock Pavilion.” Harrison used tan brick and Indiana limestone on… read more
“Built by WPA as an example of an ideal modern farmhouse and later used as an officer’s club during WW II. Built of concrete block, the house includes an attached garage, wiring, plumbing, and other modern conveniences.”
“This building was originally constructed by the WPA in 1936 as an exhibition hall. From this area behind the Home and Family Arts Building you can see the upper floor living quarters for seasonal fair workers. Also, this open parking… read more
“The State Fair Board has recently restored a number of these wooden buildings. They were all built with WPA funds. The WPA was one of several of FDR’s New Deal alphabet soup programs designed to help jobless workers during the… read more
“Built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), the tunnel provided a way for automobiles to park in the infield.”
Federal funds, via the Public Works Administration (P.W.A.), enabled $195,000 of construction work of the then-in-progress World War Memorial. P.W.A. Docket No. IN 2200
This Art Moderne-style building, designed by the architectural firm of McGuire & Shook, was constructed through a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant of $98,000 in 1936. According to Glory-June Greiff, the structure contained all the accoutrements of a regular school… read more
The $3.2 million Lockefield Gardens, a public housing project, was funded by the PWA. The project was completed in 1938. “Due to Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s New Deal, the Public Works Administration started funding fifty low-cost public housing projects in twenty… read more
The Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) supplied an “unprecedented” $3,120,000 loan to Charles W. Chase to “expand further the Indianapolis [street car] system and buy even more state-of-the-art cars.” These efforts helped increase patronage of the street car system by 25%,… read more