Originally a lumber shed adjacent, and sawmill building nearby. A long concrete foundation remaining may have been one of these. A 1935 photo shows a building where the foundation is. About 750’ N of the barn is a ruin- a… read more
Completely overgrown ruins- primarily concrete foundations, some breaks, built-up roadways lived with pines, and a large stone chimney and stone/concrete foundation. Occupied by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 1556, 1933 to 1940.
Concrete foundation, wood shingles. Built in 1935 by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) as a museum building, constructed with logs from an old cabin (furnished by Jackson Co Historical Society), the Peter’s house, that had stood in the vicinity of Vallonia.
Historic shelter house in process of being completely rebuilt-essentially only the stone fireplaces. Constructed between 1934 and 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co 1556 occupied in the forest.
The Civilian Conservation Corps built the Oven Shelter in the Jackson-Washington State Forest in Indiana in 1934. “This oven shelter in Jackson-Washington State Forest, featuring two fireplaces ovens and grills, was a typical New Deal-era structure in picnic groves. The entire… read more
Impounded nearly circle pond of approx. ¾ acre. Overflow outlet at Southeast. Intended to display aquatic plantings cypress trees line the far edge on the north and west. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1935.
Approx. 7 acre. lake, impounded by earth dam with small concrete overflow outlet. Small hip-roof frame structure. The two structures below the dam comprised a filter plant. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934.
Concrete foundation, gabled roof. Historic photo indicates there was a 6th garage door south of present office entrance. Dormers originally flat-roofed. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934.
Concrete foundation, wood shingles, gabled. Two stone fireplace chimneys. 1934 scratched in mortar in floor. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).
This Works Progress Administration outhouse was relocated to the county historical society property. It was built in a shop, moved to the original site, and installed by WPA. WPA programs like the Indiana Community Sanitation Program directly affected an astounding… read more