"…the Point was a part of the famous Daniel Burnham Plan for Chicago of 1909, was developed in the 1920s and landscaped in 1937 as a WPA project by the late Alfred Caldwell… One of its major aspects is a… read more
"This is one of the more interesting post-office buildings in which the design avoids tradition. It is fireproof except for the roof, which is slow-burning construction. The exterior walls are a blue-gray brick trimmed with Indiana limestone and the spandrels… read more
The five panels of this mural depicting the “History of Chicago” are titled: “Father Marquette,” “Fort Dearborn,” “Great Chicago Fire of 1871,” “World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893,” and “Century of Progress World’s Fair of 1933.” They were painted by Lucile… read more
The South Side Community Art Center (SSCAC) located at 3831 South Michigan Avenue on the South Side of Chicago, provided a permanent space for the creation and preservation of artwork made by African American artists from the surrounding community. The… read more
The bridge carrying S. Torrance Avenue across the Calumet River constructed as a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project. Completed in 1936, the “vertical lift bridge is the only non-bascule bridge built by the Chicago Public Works Department (now CDOT). The… read more
“The last of three Public Works Administration projects commissioned in Chicago as part of Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal, Trumbull Park Homes is arguably one of the CHA’s most historically significant buildings in its housing portfolio. Built in 1938, the development… read more
This 8′ x 12′ mural “Map of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign” was painted by Rainey Bennett in 1938, with the help of Federal Art Project funds.
These two limestone sculptures “Asclepius” and “Hygeia” were created by Edouard Chassaing in 1938 with the help of WPA Federal Art Project funds.
This mural of oil washes and casein tempera on multiple glass panes depicts “The History of Anatomy.” It was painted by artists Rainey Bennett and Ralph Graham with the help of Federal Art Project funds in 1938. It was restored… read more
The “Great Men of Medicine” depicted in this New Deal fresco of nine 1′ x 1′ panels include Pare (shown in photo), Pasteur, Darwin, Lister, Jenner, Koch, Virchow, Melpighi, and Harvey. The frescoes were painted by Edwin Boyd Johnson in… read more
This mosaic mural “Signs of the Zodiac and Heavenly Bodies” was created by John Stephan in 1936 with the help of WPA Federal Art Project funds.
This 3’6″ x 5′ sculpture entitled the “Spirit of Medicine Warding Off Disease” was created with Federal Art Project funds and has been relocated multiple times.
In 1937, Jefferson League painted five murals for the College of Pharmacy depicting “The Story of Natural Drugs”: “Digitalis,” “Opium,” “Cinchona,” “Quinine” and “Coca and Peyote.” The murals were funded by the WPA Federal Art Project.
This PWA building was originally the Dental College Building for the University of Illinois – Chicago. It was project #1057. Construction of the Dental Building began in 1935 when the project was proposed and backed by the PWA under Illinois… read more
Henry Simon painted a series of murals entitled “The Founding of McKendree College, Lebanon, Illinois.” The murals were intended for that institution but never installed. “The Circuit Rider,” “Bishop McKendree at the Site of the College” and “Peter Aker’s Prophecy”… read more
A Public Works Administration grant, along with local tax revenues, funded the construction of Sherman Elementary School at West 51st Place and South Morgan Street in Chicago’s Back of the Yards neighborhood. It replaced the former Sherman School, built in… read more