“Built in 1938-39, the Ada County Courthouse was constructed as part of the Depression-era Public Works Administration (PWA). Building the courthouse provided jobs not only for construction workers and craftsmen, but also for the artists that embellished it. The Art… read more
“The Atlanta Ranger Station Historic District, also known as Atlanta Guard Station, is a 24 acres (9.7 ha) historic districtin Boise National Forest in Atlanta, Idaho that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. It dates from… read more
The lookout buildings were constructed between 1936 and 1938 by members of Company 2515 of the CCC. The cabin was used for lookout workers until the early 1980s and can now be rented by guests.
The structure was originally built as the headquarters of the Boise District of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The Boise District supervised CCC camps in southern Idaho and eastern Oregon. Currently, the building serves as a restaurant.
The Boise National Forest CCC Camp (F-78) was located near Atlanta, and left permanent structures there and in Garden Valley. From the National Forest Service: “In 1908, President Theodore Roosevelt established the Boise National Forest to protect timber and watershed resources… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of additions and alterations to the Bonner County Courthouse in Sandpoint in 1938-39. One source suggests that the Works Progress Administration (WPA) was involved with other related work at the building or grounds. The PWA provided a $37,650 grant… read more
The Boundary County Courthouse is the site of three friezes, all created by Fletcher Martin in 1940 for the Works Progress Administration Federal Art Project (WPA-FAP) and viewable on the front of the courthouse. They are officially untitled but are known… read more
A 1200-seat auditorium in the Public Works Administration (PWA) Moderne style built primarily as an addition to the facilities of Central Junior High School, but also served the Nampa community for many years as a venue for concerts, sporting events,… read more
CCC Camp F-407 was stationed near Clayton in the Challis National Forest. Camp F-407 left structures at Clayton, Loon Creek, and Cape Horn. From the Forest Service: “The site for the Clayton Ranger Station was acquired as an administrative site… read more
“President Theodore Roosevelt created a national bird refuge at Deer Flat Reservoir, now Lake Lowell, with his February 25, 1909, executive order. The refuge was one of 17 federal reclamation projects referenced in the order, each of which used manmade… read more
The PWA built this six-classroom elementary school in 1937 (docket #1093-RD). It remained in use until 1997, when it was demolished. The site is now East Side Park. Note: the Nampa School District history linked below indicates that the WPA… read more
In 1939, the Public Works Administration funded the construction of a gymnasium addition to the High School in Emmett Idaho. Project Docket No. Idaho 1045D. The architect of record was Tourtellotte & Hummel. The exact location and present status of… read more
According to the National Archives, the PWA helped build this elementary school in 1937. By inference, it appears to have been Roosevelt Elementary, which was demolished in 1996.
In 1934, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees constructed the Bonanza Guard Station. This small cabin housed the Challis National Forest fire guard with responsibility for the Yankee Fork area, including the maintenance of the nearby Forest Service bathhouse at Sunbeam… read more
NPS.gov: “The Idaho Falls Airport Historic District was constructed by the Works Project Administration (WPA). The WPA in Idaho, and across the country, placed a high priority on airport and airway projects, both to support the new and booming air… read more
“Though designed and partially constructed in 1931, the minimalistic Art Deco structure was substantially enlarged under the Works Progress Administration. This construction included the central, vaulted cavalry drill hall and the administrative offices housed in the two-story front section. It… read more