"The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established in April 1933 as a part of the New Deal Program of President Roosevelt as an effort to provide work for unemployed Americans during the Great Depression. Many of Backbone's buildings were constructed… read more
An inventory of WPA project photographs compiled by Becky Jordan at Iowa State University includes reference to numerous public works projects undertaken by the agency in Iowa between 1935 and 1940. The collection of 1,271 photographs documents the variety and… read more
"This is a modern fire station which includes not only all the necessary facilities for the fighting but also provisions for training, recreation, housing of personnel, and maintenance of all equipment. The building is located in the business district of… read more
“In 1938 and 1939 a Works Progress Administration project made several improvements” to Des Moines’s Glendale Cemetery, “which included improving curbing and the six miles of winding roads through the hilly property and making a two-acre lake which continues to… read more
Constructed as a New Deal project (attributed on one page to the Civil Works Administration, but more likely, based on the date, a Federal Emergency Relief Administration construction), Sioux City’s historic Grandview Park Bandshell “is 102 feet wide, 51 feet… read more
This 22′ x 5′ mural “Transportation” was painted by William Henning in 1935 with PWAP funds. It was restored in 2011.
“Plans for the current courthouse were approved in 1936. The Des Moines architectural firm of Dougher, Rich & Woodburn were retained to design the building. The county applied to the Public Works Administration, or PWA, to assist with the funding…. read more
“The murals in the Grant Wood Heritage Area and on the walls of the staircase leading to the Upper Lobby of the original building are without doubt the major artistic feature of the Iowa State University Library.” These murals by… read more
The Food Sciences Building courtyard contains a 1934 fountain decorated with six bas-relief panels created by artist Christian Petersen under the Public Works of Art Project: “This mural, composed of six bas relief panels flanking a central fountain, depicts the… read more
These three terra cotta bas reliefs by Christian Petersen were created with WPA funding in 1936. “The Three Athletes bas relief was the second project Christian Petersen created for the Iowa State campus. A new staircase was being added to… read more
The veterinary building quadrangle contains a 1938 terra cotta mural by Christian Petersen. The large sculptured mural depicts a variety of scenes from veterinary life. The guiding vision behind the mural was “to depict the services the veterinary profession performs… read more
Christian Petersen created this sculpture “The Gentle Doctor” out of terra cotta in 1937-38. Both the original and a bronze copy are now located at ISU: “This sculpture has been recognized by veterinary schools throughout the United States and the… read more
In 1937, the PWA provided funds for the construction of Jefferson Elementary School on Davenport’s west side. From the Des Moines Register: “Some schools combined local tax dollars to enhance traditional building plans. Davenport, for example, built six elementary schools… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed stone buildings and bridges and planted thousands of trees.