This building was originally the Wailuku Armory and was constructed with New Deal money. In 2003, the Iao Intermediate School took over the building: “Established in 1928 as Wailuku Junior High; when Baldwin High School opened in 1939, the junior… read more
Completed in 1934, the historic United States Immigration Office facility in Honolulu was constructed with Treasury Department funds. The complex, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, [ as per the NRHP nomination form] “consists of/five buildings:… read more
In 1935, students and graduates of the Kamehameha School in Hawaii began research activities on Howland Island (an uninhabited coral island about 1,700 nautical miles southwest of Hawaii). Intrestingly, they also intended to colonize the island: “The Kamehameha colonists constructed… read more
“United States Public Works project no. NRH-9-A, a section of Kamehameha Highway known as the ‘Puuloa-Aiea Cut-off’ for the sum of $387,099.84; United States Public Works project no. NRH-7-C (reopened) and no. NRH-7-D (reopened), a section of Kamehameha Highway, for… read more
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration funded the construction and improvement of Kaneohe Bay Drive providing “another scenic, military and commercial highway that borders the Pacific Ocean for much of its extensive stretch, winding away from the main around the island… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded new construction or improvement work for the school in Pahala, on the Big Island. The PWA grant amounted to $15,930, and the work was carried out in 1938. The project, listed as Docket No. TH-1070-F,… read more
The Army Corps of Engineers, the Public Works Administration, and the National Industrial Recovery Administration funded and conducted improvement operations in the Kaunakakai Harbor on Molokai, between 1933 and 1934. The work consisted of the “dredging of a harbor basin about 1,500… read more
The National Industrial Recovery Administration awarded the “Federal-aid project no. F. A. P. 11-B and United States Public Works project no. NRH-ll-C, Kawaihae Road, for the sum of $251,579” for the construction and improvement of the Kawaihae Road on the island… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded new construction or improvement work for the Kawailoa Training School for Girls (also known as Girls’ Industrial School) in Kailua on the North Shore of Oahu. The PWA grant amounted to $27,632. The work was carried… read more
“The lava rock terracing at Kawananakoa School (1934), as well as the fountain featuring bas reliefs by Margarite Blasingame, resulted from the continuation of a number of the CWA’s projects by FERA.” Blasingame was an American sculptor born in Honolulu… read more
Living New Deal believes this bridge, which carries North Kuakini Street over the Nu’uanu Stream, was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds—in conjunction to a nearby bridge over Waiolani Stream—in 1934.
The bridge carrying North Kuakini Street over the Waiolani Stream was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds in 1934.
Kula Sanitorium was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. The P.W.A. supplied a $227,510 grant for the project, whose total cost was $507,557. “The Kula Sanatorium, also known as Kula Hospital & Clinic,… read more
“[…] United States Public Works project no. NRH-16-A, known as the ‘Kunia Road’, for the sum of $388,585.26. The Kunia Road runs from Schofield Barracks to the Ewa-Waianae Road, a distance of 7.81 miles, and is a road long wanted… read more
Marguerite Louis Blasingame completed this “pair of low-relief marble tablets of a Hawaiian couple set into a wall” (source note 1) in 1935 for the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Entitled, “Hawaiian Couple,” it is located in the Banyan Court gardens… read more
This “Floor mosaic of twelve figures engaged in traditional Hawaiian athletic activities, done in polished black basalt set into a flagstone floor” (source note 1), was completed by Marguerite Louis Blasingame in 1935 for the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
“One of a pair of murals at the Lester McCoy Pavilion at Ala Mona Regional Park. A Works Progress Administration art project, done in the Art Deco style. It depicts various aspects of makahiki (harvest festival), imagined as taking place… read more
Lockwood Hall, a.k.a. Building 662, originally constructed as the Bachelor Officer Quarters, was constructed in 1934 with Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. “Legend holds that during World War II, the concrete lanai was painted with a map of the Pacific… read more
“The timber truss Makaha Bridge Number 3A (1937), was constructed as part of Territorial Highway from Wai’anae to Makua. WPA moneys helped fund this road.”
From a Department of Land and Natural Resources calendar: “The Makiki-Manoa Pumping Station (1935), designed by architect Hart Wood and the landscape architecture firm of Thompson & Thompson, was one of a number of Honolulu Board of Water Supply improvements… read more
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration funded the construction and improvement of Mokapu Road, providing “another scenic, military and commercial highway that borders the Pacific Ocean for much of its extensive stretch, winding away from the main around the island highway,… read more
Between 1935 and 1942, “the WPA aided the Territory with funds to gradually enlarge and improve the field which was originally a dirt strip (source note 1).
“The brick comfort station with its sweeping pergolas serves as a focal point at Mother Waldron Playground in Kaka’ako (1937), a WPA project. Nationally renown planner Lewis Mumford applauded architect Harry Sims Bent’s moderne design, and recommended that the site’s… read more