This shore-side park was constructed with CWA and FERA funds. From a Department of Land and Natural Resources calendar: “The moderne style, FERA funded Ala Moana Park East Entry Gateway (1934), designed by Harry Sims Bent, was officially named the… read more
Part of the Ala Moana Park complex, the Sports Pavilion and Banyan Court were designed by architect Harry Sims Bent and built with the help of federal funds and FERA and CWA labor. “The simple concrete exterior walls of the… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked on several projects in Lahaina, Maui, including developing downtown Lahaina’s Banyan Tree Park. There is a stone marker in the park that says the WPA built the park, which presumably means that relief workers… read more
Barking Sands Pacific Missile Range Facility is a U.S. Naval Installation on the Island of Kauai in Hawaii. Between 1941 and 1942 WPA funds helped enlarge the facility.
The U.S. Customs facility located just north of Kalanianaole Ave on the west side of Kuhio St. was constructed with federal funds administered by the Public Buildings Administration of the Federal Works Agency. The building, then called the “Customs Warehouse,” was dedicated on… read more
Hale Pa‘ahao (stuck-in-irons house) was Lahaina’s “new” prison, built in the 1850s during the whaling era. The prison has been restored three times, in the 1930s, 1950s and 1970s. The Lahaina Restoration Foundation reports that: “During the 1930s, County of… read more
Several lava rock terraces at the Hawaii Nature Center (formerly the Department of Forestry’s Nursery) were built by FERA in 1934.
Henry Perrine Baldwin High School was built 1938-40 with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA). The school received an initial PWA grant of about $300,000 and a supplemental grant of $25,000 to finish the job. “The main buildings of… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded new construction or improvement work for the Henry Perrine Baldwin High School in Wailuku, Maui. The PWA grant amounted to $269,100, and the work was carried out in 1938. Listed as Docket No. TH-1084-F, the… read more
Hickam Field is a U.S. Air Force installation that is now part of Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam. According to a National Park Service report, “Using WPA funds, military engineers and architects continued expanding Schofield Barracks and created a new Hickam… read more
Between 1935 and 1941, the WPA contributed nearly $300,000 to the expansion and improvement of the Hilo Airport, then known as General Lyman Field (e.g., significant lengthening of runways). Today, the airport serves well over 1 million passengers per year… read more
According to the Honolulu Mayor’s Office of Culture & the Arts, “The bas relief is executed on a series of green steatite stone blocks which depict mythical and human Hawaiian figures, flora, and animals in the upper portions flanking either… read more
A Public Works Administration (PWA) grant of $92,224 funded new construction and improvement work on a harbor fuel oil line system for the Honolulu Harbor, under the direction of the Board of Harbor Commissioners of the Territory of Hawaii. The… read more
The Army Corps of Engineers, the Public Works Administration, and the National Industrial Recovery Administration funded and conducted improvement operations in the Honolulu Harbor between 1934 and 1935. The work consisted of the enlargement of the “entrance channel to 40 feet… read more