Excerpts from Weyeneth, Robert, Ala Moana: The People’s Park: “Territorial relief funds enabled the city to start laying out the site in 1931, but it was federal assistance beginning in 1933 that brought the park to an attractive, functional condition. The… read more
This shore-side park was constructed with CWA and FERA funds. From a Department of Land and Natural Resources calendar: “The moderne style, FERA funded Ala Moana Park East Entry Gateway (1934), designed by Harry Sims Bent, was officially named the… read more
Part of the Ala Moana Park complex, the Sports Pavilion, Banyan Court, and the Lawn Bowling Green were designed by architect Harry Sims Bent and built with the help of federal funds and FERA and CWA labor. “The simple concrete exterior… read more
Barking Sands Pacific Missile Range Facility is a U.S. Naval Installation on the Island of Kauai in Hawaii. Between 1941 and 1942 WPA funds helped enlarge the facility.
Several lava rock terraces at the Hawaii Nature Center (formerly the Department of Forestry’s Nursery) were built by FERA in 1934.
“The main buildings of Henry Perrine Baldwin High School were built in Kahului between 1938 and 1940…The school buildings were designed by Henry Stewart, the Department of Public Works architect (with assistance from architect Noboru Kobayashi), and are distinguished by… read more
Hickam Field is a U.S. Air Force installation that is now part of Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam. According to a National Park Service report, “Using WPA funds, military engineers and architects continued expanding Schofield Barracks and created a new Hickam… read more
Between 1935 and 1941, the WPA contributed nearly $300,000 to the expansion and improvement of the Hilo Airport, then known as General Lyman Field (e.g., significant lengthening of runways). Today, the airport serves well over 1 million passengers per year… read more
According to the Honolulu Mayor’s Office of Culture & the Arts, “The bas relief is executed on a series of green steatite stone blocks which depict mythical and human Hawaiian figures, flora, and animals in the upper portions flanking either… read more
Between 1935 and 1937, the WPA contributed $38,000 to extending the runways of John Rodgers Airport (now Honolulu International Airport). Today, the airport serves well over 18 million passengers per year and provides a landing area for 370,000 tons of… read more
This building was originally the Wailuku Armory and was constructed with New Deal money. In 2003, the Iao Intermediate School took over the building: “Established in 1928 as Wailuku Junior High; when Baldwin High School opened in 1939, the junior… read more
In 1935, students and graduates of the Kamehameha School in Hawaii began research activities on Howland Island (an uninhabited coral island about 1,700 nautical miles southwest of Hawaii). Intrestingly, they also intended to colonize the island: “The Kamehameha colonists constructed… read more
“The lava rock terracing at Kawananakoa School (1934), as well as the fountain featuring bas reliefs by Margarite Blasingame, resulted from the continuation of a number of the CWA’s projects by FERA.” Blasingame was an American sculptor born in Honolulu… read more
Kula Sanitorium was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. The P.W.A. supplied a $227,510 grant for the project, whose total cost was $507,557. “The Kula Sanatorium, also known as Kula Hospital & Clinic,… read more
Marguerite Louis Blasingame completed this “pair of low-relief marble tablets of a Hawaiian couple set into a wall” (source note 1) in 1935 for the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Entitled, “Hawaiian Couple,” it is located in the Banyan Court gardens… read more
This “Floor mosaic of twelve figures engaged in traditional Hawaiian athletic activities, done in polished black basalt set into a flagstone floor” (source note 1), was completed by Marguerite Louis Blasingame in 1935 for the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
“One of a pair of murals at the Lester McCoy Pavilion at Ala Mona Regional Park. A Works Progress Administration art project, done in the Art Deco style. It depicts various aspects of makahiki (harvest festival), imagined as taking place… read more
Lockwood Hall, a.k.a. Building 662, originally constructed as the Bachelor Officer Quarters, was constructed in 1934 with Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. “Legend holds that during World War II, the concrete lanai was painted with a map of the Pacific… read more
“The timber truss Makaha Bridge Number 3A (1937), was constructed as part of Territorial Highway from Wai’anae to Makua. WPA moneys helped fund this road.”
Between 1935 and 1942, “the WPA aided the Territory with funds to gradually enlarge and improve the field which was originally a dirt strip (source note 1).
“The brick comfort station with its sweeping pergolas serves as a focal point at Mother Waldron Playground in Kaka’ako (1937), a WPA project. Nationally renown planner Lewis Mumford applauded architect Harry Sims Bent’s moderne design, and recommended that the site’s… read more