“A. H. Stephens Historic Park contains tent and trailer sites, picnic sites, and fishing ponds, as well as a nature trail and rustic cabins, and was mostly built by the Civilian Conservation Corps, beginning in 1933.” (wikipedia) The park “is… read more
The facility that now serves as American Legion Post 105, in Fayetteville, Georgia, was constructed as a federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) project in 1935. “Lastly, I’d like to highlight the fact that we’re rapidly approaching our 100th birthday. You… read more
Arnold Friedman painted this oil on canvas mural, entitled “Environs of Warrentown,” in 1940 with funds provided by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. It was originally installed in the Warrentown post office but was removed in the early 1980’s… read more
This Treasury Section of Fine Arts mural was painted by William Dean Faussett in tempera on gesso in 1939. From contributor Jimmy Emerson, DVM: “It was originally installed in the Augusta PO but now is in storage in the Augusta… read more
The Beaver Dam school in Bleckley County, Georgia, served African-American children and was rebuilt by the WPA between 1935 and 1936. (Current status and exact location within Bleckley County unknown to the Living New Deal)
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) developed the grounds of Booker T. Washington High School in Atlanta, Georgia ca. 1936.
Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park preserves two civil war battles. The park was established in the late 19th century. During the Depression, the “Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park had four [CCC] camps at its disposal. Troops at these… read more
The WPA financed Preston Holders “excavations of prehistoric and early contact Indian sites on the Georgia Coast, from Savannah to St. Simons Island, between April 1936 and February 1938… “Excavations on St. Simons Island and Vicinity, 1936-1937,” which is familiar… read more
From contributor Jimmy Emerson, DVM: “Post Office mural entitled “Plantation, Transportation, Education” was painted by Abraham Harriton in 1941. In 1987, the newly appointed Postmaster had the mural removed from the wall of the post office. It now hangs in… read more
"It contains 10 classrooms, an auditorium, a library, and other facilities. The building is not fireproof. The outer walls are cinder block, covered with brick veneer. The interior and roof framing are wood. The auditorium roof is carried on steel… read more
F. D. Roosevelt State Park is the largest state park in Georgia: “Many facilities within the park were built by FDR’s Civilian Conservation Corps during the Great Depression, including stone cabins overlooking the mountain, a Liberty Bell-shaped swimming pool, and… read more
"In the beginning of the P.W.A. practically every one of the national parks received financial assistance from it. Some of the parks and monuments were new and unimproved and others needed finishing. Among the many buildings were the Administrative Building… read more
The Georgia College & State University campus in Milledgeville, Georgia was heavily impacted by New Deal program construction. Multiple buildings were constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds, including Beeson, Sanford, and Porter Halls.
Caroline Speare Rohland completed this 5′ x 13′ mural, entitled “Spring,” in 1941 with funds provided by the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Art Project (WPA-FAP). “The mural was originally in the Sylvania GA post office. It was removed in 1980… read more
Georgia State Prison was constructed as a massive federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project during the mid-1930s. It is located southwest of Reidsville and has been extensively remodeled and expanded since its opening in 1938. The PWA supplied a loan… read more
This structure was originally built as the Atlanta Municipal Auditorium in 1907-09. It was thoroughly renovated with WPA assistance in 1938 and given a new facade in 1943. The building was sold to Georgia State University in 1979, and now… read more
Numerous building construction projects on the Georgia Tech campus were enabled by various federal New Deal agencies during the Great Depression. The Civil Works Administration (CWA), Works Progress Administration (WPA), and Public Works Administration (PWA) all contributed support to various… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed an addition to Georgia Tech’s Brittain Dining Hall.
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed an addition to the Ceramics Building on the Georgia Tech campus. The addition “comprises the largest portion of the building. The new work doubled the floor space of the department and increased the… read more
“Tech’s development continued in the Fall of 1938 with the announcement that the Board of Regents, with Public Works Administration assistance, would spend $350,000 for the construction of four buildings and an addition to a fifth. … The third building… read more
Georgia Tech’s Engineering / Mechanical Drawing Building was constructed during the Great Depression. Located on Cherry Street, the building was located north of the Guggenheim School of Aeronautics by Mechanical Engineering Building. Its current status is unknown to Living New… read more