Now one of two spans that carries Florida State Highway 20 across the Apalachicola River, this bridge, which connects Blountstown in Calhoun County with Bristol in Liberty County, was a federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. (The New Deal span,… read more
The Archer School Gymnasium was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) with funding from the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works, as part of the New Deal Project 1189. The building was restored (with ADA updates) beginning with fundraising… read more
In 1939, the federal Work Progress Administration (WPA) worked to develop Austin Cary Forest, a UCF facility used for “the purposes of academic teaching, research, extension education, and demonstration“. The WPA “built roads, buildings, and water draining ditches. And 100,000… read more
The Bartow Civic Recreation Center and pool were built ca. 1933-1935. Records suggest the project was started by workers in the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and completed by workers in the Work Division of the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA)…. read more
Boca Raton, Florida’s historic Camino Real Bridge was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $43,363 grant for the project, whose total cost was $94,163. Construction occurred between September 1938 and May 1939…. read more
The Capital City County Club Golf Course was originally a 9-hole golf course developed by George Perkins. In 1924, the newly-incorporated Tallahassee Country Club purchased the golf course from Perkins. In 1935, the Tallahassee Country Club donated the land to… read more
Completed in 1939, the Carolyn Beatrice Parker Elementary School (formerly known as J.J. Finley Elementary School) is the oldest operating elementary school in Alachua County. It was named for Jesse Johnson Finley (1812-1904 ), a brigadier general in the Army… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the Centennial Building in Port St. Joe FL. Past Use: Auditorium/Gymnasium. Present Use: Civic Center. The 1996 National Register documentation notes that the Centennial Building has been the site of centennial celebration of… read more
The Works progress Administration built the Central Florida State Farmers’ Market and Abatoir in Ocala FL.
Fort Pierce, Florida’s City Hall contains an example of New Deal artwork: a Section of Fine Arts-commissioned mural entitled “Osceola Holding Informal Court with His Chiefs.” The work, which was completed in 1938, was originally displayed in the town’s historic post… read more
In 1936, the Works Progress Administration built the Armory, City Hall, Police Department, and Fire Department in Lake City FL. All departments were combined in one building.
Coast Guard Air Station St. Petersburg was built during 1934-1935 with Public Works Administration (PWA) funds and under Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor and rules. Built during this time were a 100 ft by 120 ft aircraft hangar and associated… read more
The Works Progress Administration built a community house and library in Coral Gables, Florida. The building now serves as the Coral Gables Woman’s Club. “During the Great Depression, the national Works Projects Administration operated projects in cooperation with state and… read more
Florida “boasted several notable and highly visible WPA projects, including the Daytona Beach Bandshell Oceanfront Park Complex (NR 1999) and the Bayshore Boulevard Sea Wall (NR 1985) in Tampa. Conceived to help promote Daytona Beach’s flagging tourist industry and assembled… read more
The historic Federal Building—originally U.S. Post Office and Court House in downtown Orlando, Florida—was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building was dedicated on April 15, 1941, and continues to serve as the downtown post office for Orlando.
“At Jacksonville Beach, a new two-story brick high school was financed in part by PWA funds. Designed by Marsh & Saxelbye, the building was assembled by the Frank Mitchell Construction Company in 1937 at an approximate cost of $75,000. The… read more