The original component of what is now Saugatuck Elementary School was originally constructed as an second building for what was then Staples High School. The project was undertaken with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) sponsorship. The P.W.A. supplied a $51,750 grant… read more
“The shoreline parks: Hammonassett Beach, Sherwood Island and Rocky Neck were all completed during this time period as WPA projects.”
A 1937 Hartford Courant article reported that the WPA contributed “to the improvement and enlargement of the [state police] barracks at Westport and Ridgefield.” The location and status of this former barracks is presently unknown to Living New Deal.