This statue of the Franciscan missionary, Father Junipero Serra was commissioned by the WPA in 1935. John Palo Kangas made the statue out of concrete. The original concrete deteriorated over time. In 1989, the original was placed in storage and… read more
Funded by the National Industrial Recovery Act, the construction of the Ventura overhead structure separated the grade of the main line of the Southern Pacific Company and the Coast Route of the State highway. Located about three miles north of… read more
John Palo-Kangas completed this 14′ concrete sculpture in 1937 for the Works Progress Administration Federal Art Project. It is in front of Ventura’s city hall. In 1989, Wilbur Robottom made a bronze copy that replaced the decaying concrete original. The statue… read more
Bartholume Mako made both this 12′ plaster sculpture “Roman Goddess” and the 15′ x 6′ plaster frieze “Roman Scene.” Both pieces are in the auditorium foyer.